Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forum Key Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by tens6 View Post
    I think they all have some sort of agreement
    As an old petrol pump engineer I can hopefully clear up the nozzle size discussion and why they are different.

All nozzles for petrol and diesel used to be the same size (same as diesel now). Then in the late eighties they brought out cars with catalytic converters in the exhaust to reduce emissions that could only run on unleaded petrol. Petrol used to come in 2* 3* and 4* with different octane levels and it all contained lead to stop the engine knocking. Which is where the fuel ignites before the piston is in the right position (pre-ignition). Leaded fuel kills the catalyst element straight away, so they can only run on unleaded fuel. To stop people putting leaded fuel in an unleaded only car with a catalyser, the car industry decided to make a smaller nozzle for unleaded with a smaller filler hole on the car and kept the larger nozzle for leaded petrol and diesel cars. As leaded petrol has now been banned, it means all petrol nozzles are now unleaded and hence petrol nozzles are now smaller than diesel nozzles.

If you lived through those times there was some other silly mistakes that oil companies made that mixed everybody up.

Texaco at one point had black nozzles for leaded petrol while others made diesel black.
    Esso had blue for diesel and BP made their Ultimate unleaded blue originally (they were forced to change back to green for Ultimate unleaded due to the amount of misfill claims but they are still light blue in some European countries). Hope this makes sense...

Regards
    Andy

2. Thanks Ernst Thanked
    New sheriff in town - Mind where you post or I'll have you!

Car
    VX LINE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep....I'm one of the ones who remembers all this.
    Also the wee cans with one shot of redex in the petrol stations.
    Shell promotions of glasses, soup bowls, super car models etc

Back in the day .

4. Likes tens6 liked
    Car
    2009 2.0 Turbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyk View Post
    As an old petrol pump engineer I can hopefully clear up the nozzle size discussion and why they are different.

All nozzles for petrol and diesel used to be the same size (same as diesel now). Then in the late eighties they brought out cars with catalytic converters in the exhaust to reduce emissions that could only run on unleaded petrol. Petrol used to come in 2* 3* and 4* with different octane levels and it all contained lead to stop the engine knocking. Which is where the fuel ignites before the piston is in the right position (pre-ignition). Leaded fuel kills the catalyst element straight away, so they can only run on unleaded fuel. To stop people putting leaded fuel in an unleaded only car with a catalyser, the car industry decided to make a smaller nozzle for unleaded with a smaller filler hole on the car and kept the larger nozzle for leaded petrol and diesel cars. As leaded petrol has now been banned, it means all petrol nozzles are now unleaded and hence petrol nozzles are now smaller than diesel nozzles.

If you lived through those times there was some other silly mistakes that oil companies made that mixed everybody up.

Texaco at one point had black nozzles for leaded petrol while others made diesel black.
    Esso had blue for diesel and BP made their Ultimate unleaded blue originally (they were forced to change back to green for Ultimate unleaded due to the amount of misfill claims but they are still light blue in some European countries). Hope this makes sense...

Regards
    Andy
    Since you tagged me, it was meant as a joke but makes sense . They'll have to think of something to prevent what happened to the OP but I doubt that they'll bother now.

Car
    Insignia 2.0cdti SRi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post

Back in the day .

Damn, i can remember this as well, does this mean i'm as old as Rab ?
    Last edited by Langy; 14-02-2020 at 09:14 PM.
    Chris

Forum Police - Mind where you post or I'll have you!

Car
    1.5T SRi Nav GS, lava red, bi-colour alloys, full leather, reversing camera and lots of toys!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the day .
    And world cup coins, Tiger tails, bullet hole transfers, green shield stamps.... So my granddad told me

2018 1.5T SRi Nav
    Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!)

New sheriff in town - Mind where you post or I'll have you!

Car
    VX LINE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
    And world cup coins, Tiger tails, bullet hole transfers, green shield stamps.... So my granddad told me
    Bollocks.....you had the first car with a starting handle

9. Likes Drew, PeteH, tens6 liked
    Forum Police - Mind where you post or I'll have you!

Car
    1.5T SRi Nav GS, lava red, bi-colour alloys, full leather, reversing camera and lots of toys!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bollocks.....you had the first car with a starting handle
    Tell you what, starting handles were great, had one on my Anglia. Seem to recall early minis used to have them too, but with the transverse engine the hole was in the wheel arch.
    Last edited by PeteH; 14-02-2020 at 10:52 PM.

2018 1.5T SRi Nav
    Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4