1.8vvti Nav 50k mile with a tappy engine on start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8vvti Nav 50k mile with a tappy engine on start up

Hi all, after inheriting the Mrs insignia I've notice a couple of little niggles one of which is the tappy engine on start up which goes away literature after a second, I've done a few searches and apparently it could be a sticky tappet? I'm guessing there hydraulic tappets so until the engine pumps oil up that is what I'm hearing, any advice on cures or owt I can do to maybe sort it will be appreciated.
    Cheeeeeeeers,

It will be the cam solenoids that will need the filters cleaned or removed also you really need to have a good vauxhall dexos 2 5w 30 oil in the engine--Dave

Comment

These engines require regular oil and filter changes and as I said you must use good quality oil and filters---Dave

Comment

Cheers for the reply Dave, it's gonna get a quality oil n filter this weekend, could you explain more on the cam solenoids at all please, really dislike a tappy engine.
        Cheeeers. James

Comment

I don't think the 1.8 has hydraulic tappets but solid ones, so those shouldn't be making noise.

Comment

Hello James, as you look at the front of the engine on the left hand side of the head you will see a small circular part that goes into the head, it will have a connector on it, there is also another one that is opposite, they are just held in by a small torx bolt(careful not to lose them) and you just pull the solenoids out, they can be quite tight, I have a new one here that I had for the Vectra if you need it, easy job to do - - - Dave

Comment

Bottom middle of the picture...there's s silver part with the black plug.....that's the culprit.
              And straight across on the rear of the engine...is the other one.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	244654

Comment

Excellent! There's even a video about them on YouTube basically doing the same thing as mine but he just cleans them up, might just buy new ones n have done.
                Here's the link

Cheers ppl

Comment

Do you lads engine flush when changing oil?

Comment

Hello, never done an engine flush in my life, just do regular oil and filter changes, I do have a cam solenoid here for sale if you are interested - - - - Dave

Comment

I don't either but I change oil twice a year so not really necessary I guess.

Comment

Yea I'll have that of you don't I need 2 tho?

Comment

All* the engine flush products on the market are nonsense. There may be some benefit to emptying the oil, refilling with dirt-cheap supermarket oil, running very briefly, and then emptying it and filling with good oil.

(*All the ones I've checked, anyway.)

Tbqh, I reckon most cars built in the last couple of decades don't care much as long as they get roughly the right oil without going too far past the service intervals. It's hard to separate everything else from superstition.

P.S.

Note the name. With a good excuse, you never need to do any job you don't want to

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
                            I don't either but I change oil twice a year so not really necessary I guess.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage-esso-motor-oil-change-now_1_6b4581b378ca061ed76756b5a6f85027.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	244662

I'm not sure that's necessary. But it can't hurt (except your pocket). Have you tried selling the part-used oil on Ebay?

Comment

Saw an Audi Quatro once where the owner had used'engine flush' and damaged the cam shaft caps by scoring them,costly for him.Regular good quality/specific oil for type of engine and filter changes are a must for the 'modern' engines,my Insignia gets done twice a year regardless of milage,but that's just me with engine oil ocd!!!
                              Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                              Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Working...
                              X