Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M32 Breather Tank

Hi,

Thinking of a remap on my 130bhp with the darling M32 box. Seen 2 different breather tank set ups that are not to pricey easy to fit and allow the box to have more oil. Just wondering if anyone has one and if they have any impact on day to day driving. Oil capacity can go up to 3.4 litres which to me can only help?

Hello have you got a link to thease breather tanks ?
    In my mind it's not the quantity of oil that upsets the gearbox it's an inherent design flaw .
    I think on the later version the internals were upgraded somewhat , but from what year I don't know .
    I would be more worried about the mileage on the clutch , there was a thread on here where someone had a remap with the same gearbox and then it showed up a weakness with the clutch .
    So proceed at your own pace .

.K.M.P.C.U
    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I'm afraid I've heard nothing but bad things about the M32 gearbox not being able to handle a remap, the torque rating is pretty low.
      2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex excnav
      honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

Here is the link: https://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/M32-Gearbox-Breather this seems the most developed but there are others.

And yes M32 is very frustrating- loads of money to keep it right, and right is only just good enough!!

Clutch and flywheel are new so no probs there 👍

Comment

Guy on VXON called the M32 guy who is an expert with these gearbox's and others---might be worth having a word with him------Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
            Guy on VXON called the M32 guy who is an expert with these gearbox's and others---might be worth having a word with him------Dave
            He is on Facebook as well.

Log in to Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family and people you know.

I was going to get him to do the M32 in my old car, but in the end decided to just get rid of it. Anything I've read about him suggests his work is good and he knows what he is doing though.

Comment

Yeh will see if anyone with any real knowledge has tried one, or if it’s just snake oil!!

Comment

You can check the end casing to see if you have the bigger bearings, the two ends are visibly different. The thread on here 130 remap burnt out my clutch has the relevant pics. Good luck.

Comment

It’s the older one, but when I had bearings done the guy said the new end case just moves the problem somewhere else, and to just make sure it had 2.8L fresh oil each year. So based on the need for all this oil I was thinking a breather tank and 3.4L would be a good move! But I might see if I can sort my own out as it’s just a pipe from the breather hole to a tank higher up, my guess is the box can expel any oil it doesn’t want and then it just feeds back in from the tank- still doing research now!! 😄👍🚙

Comment

Mr-matt13 was on with similar issues last month, he was looking at new clutch and regular oil changes, I think his 130 had been mapped to 180bhp and 380nm taking it over the 320nm limit for the box. He has not been on this month so not sure how he's getting on with it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	breather 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	246980An update on this, firstly its pretty easy to do so worth a try if nothing else. There were some forums mainly Astra VXR suggesting you could run upto a litre extra oil with the breather which would make it 3.4L, I tried upto 3.1 but the gear change was rubbish at low temps so imagine it would be useless in winter. Having played around 2.8-9L seems to be the most you can use without affecting how the gearbox operates, this is what most experts recommend. So now I'am running the breather and 2.8L of oil ( Fuchs Titan). All seems okay but I think for any true results I would need to fit an oil temp gauge which wont happen soon. So at the moment It just there to help heat get out the gearbox and hopefully it can only help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	breather 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	246979
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by mickb; 10-05-2020, 05:06 PM. Reason: adding extra image.

Comment

It's all to do with the end casing.

Sub 2012/2013 M32 boxes are the ones with the inherit issues as they don't have the extended casing, oil channels and they also have the small bearings. All the post 2013 M32 boxes have the improved end casing and a larger end bearing and therefore do not have the same issues.

Give this a look... makes interesting reading

The ULTIMATE GUIDE to the infamous M32 gearbox. Learn everything about bearing failures in the M32 and M20 gearboxes - Causes, Symptoms & Repairs.
                        Last edited by Foz1261; 11-05-2020, 04:46 AM.
                        2016 1.4T SRi Nav (IntelliLink Navi900) S/S
                        Stage 1 remap, Irmscher Style Door Pins, Full Buick Regal Grills, Badges & Airbag cover, VX Line Flat Bottom Steering Wheel (Colour coded), Custom 8' Digital Dash Cluster / Clocks, Video in Motion, VX Line Perforated Leather Seats package, Full White Interior LED's, Forge Atmospheric DV, Iridium NGK Plugs, Hardwall Hose Induction kit with Ramair JS108 Filter, Custom CNC Machined Dipstick, Custom CNC Oil, PS, Coolant & Window Washer bottle Caps, Custom Radiator Cover, 25mm Eibach Spacers (Front & Rear), VXR Brembo Calipers, EBC Camaro 355mm X 32mm solid discs & EBC Redstuff Pads, -40mm Direnza Springs, Dual Exit Exhaust, 20" Veeman VC7 Multispoke Alloys, Stainless downpipe, Elite Rear Boot Tail Lights, Heko's, Irmscher Rear Window Spoiler, Ducktail Spoiler, Full VX-Line Kit, ESC Magnetic Sump Plug, Nextbase 512GW Front & Rear Dash Cams, Reverse Cam, Removable Towbar.

Comment

There still seems to be a debate about the end cases as the inner bearings are failing on boxes with them fitted, I have spoken to a few places on the phone and some said don't bother with the new end case as you will just change the inner rather than the outer bearings and others said it would last longer as the outer bearing fail first, and these are now improved by being larger. But they all agreed good oil and slight overfill helps as well as regular oil changes, I dont 14,000 miles over 2 years with Fuchs Titan oil and it was like gunk when replaced so will be doing it yearly regardless of miles in the future. Either way VX should have put the F40 in all insignias!!

Comment

Originally posted by mickb View Post
                            There still seems to be a debate about the end cases as the inner bearings are failing on boxes with them fitted, I have spoken to a few places on the phone and some said don't bother with the new end case as you will just change the inner rather than the outer bearings and others said it would last longer as the outer bearing fail first, and these are now improved by being larger. But they all agreed good oil and slight overfill helps as well as regular oil changes, I dont 14,000 miles over 2 years with Fuchs Titan oil and it was like gunk when replaced so will be doing it yearly regardless of miles in the future. Either way VX should have put the F40 in all insignias!!
                            Yeah the F40 is far superior in every way... can handle a lot of abuse with quite high rolling power figures to match.
                            2016 1.4T SRi Nav (IntelliLink Navi900) S/S
                            Stage 1 remap, Irmscher Style Door Pins, Full Buick Regal Grills, Badges & Airbag cover, VX Line Flat Bottom Steering Wheel (Colour coded), Custom 8' Digital Dash Cluster / Clocks, Video in Motion, VX Line Perforated Leather Seats package, Full White Interior LED's, Forge Atmospheric DV, Iridium NGK Plugs, Hardwall Hose Induction kit with Ramair JS108 Filter, Custom CNC Machined Dipstick, Custom CNC Oil, PS, Coolant & Window Washer bottle Caps, Custom Radiator Cover, 25mm Eibach Spacers (Front & Rear), VXR Brembo Calipers, EBC Camaro 355mm X 32mm solid discs & EBC Redstuff Pads, -40mm Direnza Springs, Dual Exit Exhaust, 20" Veeman VC7 Multispoke Alloys, Stainless downpipe, Elite Rear Boot Tail Lights, Heko's, Irmscher Rear Window Spoiler, Ducktail Spoiler, Full VX-Line Kit, ESC Magnetic Sump Plug, Nextbase 512GW Front & Rear Dash Cams, Reverse Cam, Removable Towbar.

Comment

Hi I know this is old but do remove the
                              Filler plug and that were the breather connects

Comment

Working...
                              X