Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forum Key Rings
    Name:  breather 2.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  69.8 KBAn update on this, firstly its pretty easy to do so worth a try if nothing else. There were some forums mainly Astra VXR suggesting you could run upto a litre extra oil with the breather which would make it 3.4L, I tried upto 3.1 but the gear change was rubbish at low temps so imagine it would be useless in winter. Having played around 2.8-9L seems to be the most you can use without affecting how the gearbox operates, this is what most experts recommend. So now I'am running the breather and 2.8L of oil ( Fuchs Titan). All seems okay but I think for any true results I would need to fit an oil temp gauge which wont happen soon. So at the moment It just there to help heat get out the gearbox and hopefully it can only help.

Name:  breather 1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  55.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mickb; 10-05-2020 at 05:06 PM. Reason: adding extra image.

Car
    2016 1.4T SRi NAV S/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all to do with the end casing.

Sub 2012/2013 M32 boxes are the ones with the inherit issues as they don't have the extended casing, oil channels and they also have the small bearings. All the post 2013 M32 boxes have the improved end casing and a larger end bearing and therefore do not have the same issues.

Give this a look... makes interesting reading

https://stillrunningstrong.com/car-m...rbox-bearings/
    Last edited by Foz1261; 11-05-2020 at 04:46 AM.
    2016 1.4T SRi Nav (IntelliLink Navi900) S/S
    Stage 1 remap, Forge Atmospheric DV, K&N Panel Filter, Iridium NGK Plugs, Hardwall Hose Induction kit with JS108 Filter, Custom CNC Machined Dipstick, Custom CNC Oil, PS, Coolant & Window Washer bottle Caps, Under Bonnet Mirrors, RS Bonnet Vents, 25mm Eibach Spacers (Front & Rear), VXR Calipers with Brembo 355mm Discs & Brembo Pads, Dual Exit Exhaust, Rare 20" Twin 10 Spoke Elite Alloys, Elite Rear Boot Tail Lights, Heko's, Irmscher Rear Window Spoiler, Full VX-Line Kit, Irmscher Front Grill, ESC Magnetic Sump Plug, Nextbase 512GW Front & Rear Dash Cams

Car
    2.0 CDTI remap stage 1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There still seems to be a debate about the end cases as the inner bearings are failing on boxes with them fitted, I have spoken to a few places on the phone and some said don't bother with the new end case as you will just change the inner rather than the outer bearings and others said it would last longer as the outer bearing fail first, and these are now improved by being larger. But they all agreed good oil and slight overfill helps as well as regular oil changes, I dont 14,000 miles over 2 years with Fuchs Titan oil and it was like gunk when replaced so will be doing it yearly regardless of miles in the future. Either way VX should have put the F40 in all insignias!!

Car
    2016 1.4T SRi NAV S/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickb View Post
    There still seems to be a debate about the end cases as the inner bearings are failing on boxes with them fitted, I have spoken to a few places on the phone and some said don't bother with the new end case as you will just change the inner rather than the outer bearings and others said it would last longer as the outer bearing fail first, and these are now improved by being larger. But they all agreed good oil and slight overfill helps as well as regular oil changes, I dont 14,000 miles over 2 years with Fuchs Titan oil and it was like gunk when replaced so will be doing it yearly regardless of miles in the future. Either way VX should have put the F40 in all insignias!!
    Yeah the F40 is far superior in every way... can handle a lot of abuse with quite high rolling power figures to match.
    2016 1.4T SRi Nav (IntelliLink Navi900) S/S
    Stage 1 remap, Forge Atmospheric DV, K&N Panel Filter, Iridium NGK Plugs, Hardwall Hose Induction kit with JS108 Filter, Custom CNC Machined Dipstick, Custom CNC Oil, PS, Coolant & Window Washer bottle Caps, Under Bonnet Mirrors, RS Bonnet Vents, 25mm Eibach Spacers (Front & Rear), VXR Calipers with Brembo 355mm Discs & Brembo Pads, Dual Exit Exhaust, Rare 20" Twin 10 Spoke Elite Alloys, Elite Rear Boot Tail Lights, Heko's, Irmscher Rear Window Spoiler, Full VX-Line Kit, Irmscher Front Grill, ESC Magnetic Sump Plug, Nextbase 512GW Front & Rear Dash Cams

Car
    Insignia se
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I know this is old but do remove the
    Filler plug and that were the breather connects

Car
    saab 9-3 turboX.9-3 1.9 TID,vectra B GSI,nissan qashqai.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, yes , the breather is taken from the gearbox breather near the gear linkage
    And fill point is taken from the gearbox fill plug , a conversion plug is required.
    10-5 rubber gearbox .

J.K.M.P.C.U

Car
    Insignia se
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So there is a filler plug and breather on the top of the gear box I didn't notice??? What size is the conversion plug

Car
    Insignia se
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's a breather on the turret why is it capped off??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2