No announcement yet.

Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well just took battery off charge, reconnected, asked me to do windows no issues. Some reason date wouldn't auto set, stuck on 18th May 2016, a feeling this, was factory birth date. And outside temp wouldn't read until switched off and restarted then OK.
    Cold engine, ss worked instantly, stopped 5 times in less than half a mile and worked everytime with all lights on and ac.
    Still not convinced as turn engine off volts still drop to 12.2v. But its not fully charged yet, will continue charge tomorrow and see what happens. Have a feeling with my luck just lately il need a new [emoji367].

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
      Some reason date wouldn't auto set, stuck on 18th May 2016
      Can't be setting to Lincolnshire time - that'd be 1976
      2018 1.5T SRi Nav
      Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

Originally posted by PeteH View Post
        Can't be setting to Lincolnshire time - that'd be 1976
        When you was 50? [emoji102]

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Matt--I get the Car Mechanics mag every month--been doing so for years and this months March2020 has a good article in about the Demystifying Stop/Start Systems---it really is a good read and its not just the battery that has to be correct--the starter motor/Alternator etc all have parts to play----might be worth getting a copy and have a read---I would of left the charger on for a good few hours more-------Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
            Matt--I get the Car Mechanics mag every month--been doing so for years and this months March2020 has a good article in about the Demystifying Stop/Start Systems---it really is a good read and its not just the battery that has to be correct--the starter motor/Alternator etc all have parts to play----might be worth getting a copy and have a read---I would of left the charger on for a good few hours more-------Dave
            It's back on charge at work. Didn't want to be messing around at 5 am this morning .
            Sounds interesting. Car started much better this morning. Hopefully by end of work today the charger will have changed to retention charge then I can see how it goes.

Comment

With these type of batteries its vital that the correct type of charger is used as the old basic type won't really do the job and may damage the battery---I got a NOCO one at Christmas and its fine for the whole range of different types-----lets hope yours is ok but if the car is not used much then the battery will be struggling--more so over the winter months-----Dave

Comment

Yeah this charger has a setting for start stop batteries so all good.

Comment

This is the one I have Matt----DaveClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191225_143557.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	244718

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
                    This is the one I have Matt----Dave[ATTACH=CONFIG]3867[/ATTACH]
                    Ooo that's fancy. Mine supposedly has all those functions, but in a simpler form. 4 different programs but it decides what voltage battery and what type of charge is required. It has a built in processor apparently that takes info from the battery and works out what is required and at what rate.
                    But hey just connect and switch on [emoji23]
                    You do have to pick the setting for stop start batteries then it's meant to do the rest.

Comment

Well on charge since 09.30 and still only 3 bars out of 4. Might have to charge some more tonight at home.

Comment

Yes I would think so Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                          Well on charge since 09.30 and still only 3 bars out of 4. Might have to charge some more tonight at home.
                          You will start to do more damage to the battery by keep putting it on and taking it off of charge. If you are able you could do with it doing a full deep cycle charge. This will desulphate the plates and get the fluid to move around them. Depending on the state of you battery, the battery amperage and the out put voltage on your battery charger that could take anything from 10 to 48 hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickmagic View Post
                            You will start to do more damage to the battery by keep putting it on and taking it off of charge. If you are able you could do with it doing a full deep cycle charge. This will desulphate the plates and get the fluid to move around them. Depending on the state of you battery, the battery amperage and the out put voltage on your battery charger that could take anything from 10 to 48 hrs.
                            Yup hence stayed at work until cycle had finished. Was on from 09.30 - 17.30.
                            Everything obviously seems fine. Turned park mode off for a while, will see what happens.
                            I reckon from readings and charts my battery last night was between 45% & 50%.
                            All in all had 11 hours of charging, at around 5a/h seems about right. Battery reads 13.2 v at rest. 80a/h battery.

Concluded the plug in USB sockets with voltage readout are not accurate, just while sat here writing this is dropped to 12.2v about the same as before charging.

Can only see what happens now, may have charged OK may not be holding charge.

New battery not end of the world [emoji23].

Comment

I'm thinking 5 years is around the time when these batteries start to go mine is/ has not been used for any long runs since christmas most of time just sat in garage and when it does come out maybe 1 day a week its only doing 3 mile trip so not topping up and I have also noticed its not as quick to start. I,m waiting for DVLA to send new reg (getting uk style reg and removing irish plates) then possibly trading in so I stick charger on as soon as it shows signs of being slow again.

Comment

Working...
                              X