Power drain or knackered battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power drain or knackered battery?

Hi all, I have an 09 Insignia SRI nav which has been fine until a couple of weeks ago when I went to start it and battery was flat. I put it on charge for about 8 hours total and it still wasn't reading full, but I needed to use it so unplugged the charger and went off. I haven't used the car all week and went to start it last night and battery was dead again. I tested voltage with a multimeter and it was reading 11.4 V. So I've just put it on charge again. With the charger connected battery was reading 12.4 V so I disconnected charger and tested with the multimeter again. I watched the voltage drop on the multimeter at a rate of 0.01V a second.

So is there a short somewhere that is draining the battery, or is the battery knackered and unable to hold a charge?

I don't want to spend £100 on a new battery if there is a short somewhere that is draining it.

Finally, If I need a new battery would a type 96 be OK or would I be better off getting the slightly bigger type 110 (I can get either at the same price . £90)?

I'm sure Kwik fit do free health checks, not sure if Halfords are still doing them aswell

Comment

If you haven't changed or added anything to the car that could be draining it. I'd blame the battery but as said, get it tested. It's been known for an existing relay to fail and keep something live though.
      2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I went to Halfords and a muppet there connected up a battery tester and told me the battery was fine. No start tests or switching stuff on and off he just checked the voltage. Well it would show fine as I'd just charged the bloody thing. I then went to my service garage and they tested it by starting the engine numerous times with the tester attached. They told me that the battery is knackered so I've ordered a new one.

I hope this one will suffice https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361478467232

Comment

Originally posted by Odd Job View Post
          Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I went to Halfords and a muppet there connected up a battery tester and told me the battery was fine. No start tests or switching stuff on and off he just checked the voltage. Well it would show fine as I'd just charged the bloody thing. I then went to my service garage and they tested it by starting the engine numerous times with the tester attached. They told me that the battery is knackered so I've ordered a new one.

I hope this one will suffice https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361478467232
          Halfords mmmm there better off sticking to bicycle repairs and even then I would not trust them.

Comment

I put a new battery on the car last weekend. Car's not been used all week and I went to it today and it started fine. So this suggests that the old battery was knackered.

I put the old battery on charge in the garage and charged it to full, then left it all week (after disconnecting the charger), and it too is showing full after leaving it for a week off the car.

Strange?

Comment

Remember the old battery on the car would still be getting slightly drained from the alarm and equipment relying on power for memory. That little bit of drain may just have been enough to kill it after a week.
              2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Thanks. Didn't think of that.

Comment

Working...
                X