Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service time approaching....

Hello people.

Oil life is on 46% and had the car about 6 weeks now.
    I will service the car myself in a couple of weeks for peace of mind, all filters and engine oil.

My question is, which engine oil to use?

I see so many conflicting reviews online about different oil brands. What do you use? I’m being swayed towards Mobile 1 but interested on your opinions?

Thanks.

Why service it when there is still 46% remaining?

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
      Why service it when there is still 46% remaining?
      It’s the same whenever I get a new car / van, as said, I do it for my own peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian147 View Post
        Hello people.

Oil life is on 46% and had the car about 6 weeks now.
        I will service the car myself in a couple of weeks for peace of mind, all filters and engine oil.

My question is, which engine oil to use?

I see so many conflicting reviews online about different oil brands. What do you use? I’m being swayed towards Mobile 1 but interested on your opinions?

Thanks.
        I generally stick to OEM brand but mobile 1 is a good choice, I've also saw shell oil getting mentioned.

I used GM oil when I changed the siggys oil and was shocked at the price, around 20quid for 5l.
        I use elf oil in the Clio as that's what Renault recommend, just wish it was as cheap as GM

Comment

It’s the same whenever I get a new car / van, as said, I do it for my own peace of mind.
          It's recommended to change oil more due to the weak oil seal so imo it's not a bad thing to change before recommended service intervals.
          Plus it's very easy to reset oil life without changing oil..
          The fresher the oil the happier the engine

Comment

Just let you know the reading its a measurement of oil viscosity. Not the amount of oil.

Comment

Yep, no such thing as 'oil is too clean' As long as it's Dexos 2 it should be fine. I use Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30(Dexos 2), not the cheapest but I normally bulk buy when they are, sometimes under 20 quid per 5L bottle.

Comment

i'll check the air, pollen filters and oil when i buy a car from a dealer, just to check its been done, but otherwise i do it after picking any vehicle up and try and do it every 6 months, polln filters every 12 months, its peace of mind for me as well for less that £50.

I also have a habit of replacing the bulbs and wipers as well, normally to brighter halogens but after fitting LED's to the insignia i'll be moving to LED replacements for reverse and headlight bulbs.

Comment

I think it's a bit strange to change oil much earlier that Vauxhall thinks is needed, and then not using genuine Vauxhall oil.
                  But that's my opinion, if you're happy changing it more often, I would put OEM oil into it.

Comment

I think it's a bit strange to change oil much earlier that Vauxhall thinks is needed, and then not using genuine Vauxhall oil.
                    But that's my opinion, if you're happy changing it more often, I would put OEM oil into it.
                    Well I don’t think it’s that’s strange myself, in my opinion.
                    The car was purchased from a private seller, if I buy and install good quality filters and oil (as I do with any vehicle I get , even from a dealership) then I know in my own head that it has been done and done thoroughly using high quality parts.
                    As it stands I do not know the last brand of filters or oil that was used, could be great or could be pure rubbish but I’m not taking a gamble and for the sake of an hour or so and a few euros it will give me great peace of mind.

Comment

No offence but I think you're missing the point. You do realise how easy it is to reset the service counter without doing a single thing? I could never trust sellers or dealers/garages alike, for peace of mind there is no harm in doing it soon after buying and also further down the line. It's common sense, the cleaner/newer the oil the better the protection. Dexos 2 oil is a specification approved for use by GM, regardless of the brand....

Comment

Its personal preference. The manufacturer interval is only a guide line. Say like it says 10k or 1 year. You can change it a 5k yourself should you wish to do so, this can only improve the car life expectancy.

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
                          Yep, no such thing as 'oil is too clean' As long as it's Dexos 2 it should be fine. I use Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30(Dexos 2), not the cheapest but I normally bulk buy when they are, sometimes under 20 quid per 5L bottle.
                          You need to send some my way!! The oil seems well over priced here from places I’ve been into so far, I have a couple of weeks to shop around until I bring her into the shed......

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy6boys View Post
                            i'll check the air, pollen filters and oil when i buy a car from a dealer, just to check its been done, but otherwise i do it after picking any vehicle up and try and do it every 6 months, polln filters every 12 months, its peace of mind for me as well for less that £50.

I also have a habit of replacing the bulbs and wipers as well, normally to brighter halogens but after fitting LED's to the insignia i'll be moving to LED replacements for reverse and headlight bulbs.
                            Funny you should say that about the bulbs! I thought it was just me!! I upgraded the head light bulbs as soon as I got it to Osrams and the indicator bulbs weren’t very orange so put new ones in too all round, Wipers though I have to say are sound for the time being.

Comment

You need to send some my way!! The oil seems well over priced here from places I’ve been into so far, I have a couple of weeks to shop around until I bring her into the shed......
                              I would but unfortunately I am on my last service too, need more

Comment

Working...
                              X