LED strip without driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED strip without driver

Stupid question so I'm ready for a simple answer ha.

I've found a spare strip of RGB LEDs at home, and an IR controller.

There are 4 connections to the led, 12v R G B.

Can I simply connect these to say the boot lights, and they should work? Happy for the RGB to be twisted together to have a perm white light as needed.

I was presuming (probably wrongly), I could put the 12v to the positive, and the RGBs combined to a negative or ground? Would it work? :/

Only way to see is to try it.....if it pops then that's it.
    Led strips from eBay aren't expensive

Comment

Originally posted by md89 View Post
      Stupid question so I'm ready for a simple answer ha.

I've found a spare strip of RGB LEDs at home, and an IR controller.

There are 4 connections to the led, 12v R G B.

Can I simply connect these to say the boot lights, and they should work? Happy for the RGB to be twisted together to have a perm white light as needed.

I was presuming (probably wrongly), I could put the 12v to the positive, and the RGBs combined to a negative or ground? Would it work? :/
      The actual rgb strip goes into the controller on one end and the other end of the controller goes to the 12v boot supply of positive and negative.
      The controller is the white box

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
        The actual rgb strip goes into the controller on one end and the other end of the controller goes to the 12v boot supply of positive and negative.
        The controller is the white box
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22-44-key...K/372813201795
        I actually found my spare IR controller in the end. But the DC power cord to power it is actually being used for LED's elsewhere in my house. So looking for another DC power cord that fits in there i can cut up to use

I tested connecting it direct to a 12v power supply (12v wire to positive, and 3 RGB wires soldered together going to negative and works perfectly) - So ive done and tested the hard bit, now i just dont have any double sided tape

Comment

Ar ok. Interesting that it has worked.
          Good work.

Comment

Working...
          X