Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OIL Gauge not registering on dash 56 plate insignia

Hi all!
    Has anyone else had this problem.. I have a 56 plate insignia ... on my dash it said 40% for my oil level. I bought the correct oil and topped it up (poured around 1/4 of the standard sized bottle in from Halfords)
    Checked the dipstick and it was still low, so put another bit in.
    Turned my car back on and it now says 33% ....
    I’ve since drove it a good 5 times and it’s slowly going down 31% it is now on.
    I have checked for leaks.. nothing that I can see. No oil patches on my drive.

Any ideas gents?

Much obliged
    Mr Martin
    Last edited by Mrmartin; 02-04-2020, 08:20 AM. Reason: Forgot year of car

Well......you've edited your post because you forgot the year of your car..........it looks like you've got a pre pre pre pre production model .

Comment

Not long woken up apologies haha, I’m only one coffee in!
      Think the early stages of cabin fever are setting in too.
      Onwards and upwards

Comment

It's oil life, not quantity.

The % figure isn't how much oil is in the engine, it's the viscosity of the oil it measures.

The small, short journeys take the oil life down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmartin View Post
          Not long woken up apologies haha, I’m only one coffee in!
          Think the early stages of cabin fever are setting in too.
          Onwards and upwards
          ....I know what you mean about the caffeine intake .

I'm only on my 8th but I've been up since 02.30.....shift nearly done .

Comment

Christ, I don’t miss the night shifts at all, fair play.
            To clear this up then the percentage doesn’t particularly matter then.. it was on 98% when I purchased it 10months ago. How do I get it back up to 100% (presuming this is the ideal level/number you would desire for a smooth running automobile)
            How stupid of me thinking it was the amount. School boy.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
              It's oil life, not quantity.

The % figure isn't how much oil is in the engine, it's the viscosity of the oil it measures.

The small, short journeys take the oil life down.
              As Rab says it's measuring the quality, you still need to check the dipstick to check for quantity! In 12 months it will drop from 100% to 0% or quicker if you do anything to degrade the oil like lots of short runs or high miles, it's linked to service schedule and just helps you plan your services.

Comment

It can be reset in the menu when you have it on screen press and hold the button on the end of the stalk. You reset it once you have done your service. If you have had the car 10 month it sounds about spot on.

Comment

Just make sure you don't put too much oil in the engine, I would check it out and if its above the dip stick marks then you need to get it out, it's better to keep the level just below the max level as we all know what happens when we have too many failed regens on the car----Dave

Comment

Cheers gents, you are an efficient bunch!!
                    Will double check the stipdick for rashes and lumps.. and the dipstick max marks
                    waheeey

Comment

https://youtu.be/FQpjMxE71ts

Comment

Give that stick a sniff , if higher than max and it's smells of diesel then change oil and filter
                        If okie dokie then carry on as normal and disregards my first comment.
                        As everyone has said it's a service oil light / warning / advice message .
                        If you check the oil when car is hot then level on dipstick will be lower

.K.M.P.C.U
                        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Mine goes down 1% every 3.5 days regardless of if I use it or not

Comment

Working...
                          X