Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia A vs insignia B will I notice the difference

Evening folks. Hope you are all well .
    I have a 2015 vx line sport tourer. Have to say it’s been a really good car. As per my old posts I’m looking to change my car soon. I simply can’t make my mind up what I want. First wanted to upgrade to a newer ( 19/69 plate ) sport tourer but then thought I may look at a Passat or maybe even a vw arteon.
    I have 3 kids, 2 of which probably don’t need booster seats anymore but our 2 year old is still obviously in a proper child seat. So need a bit more space in the back. I thought the Passat or arteon would give me this. But no matter how hard I try I just keep coming back to the newer insignia .
    So is the newer insignia b a massive improvement from the older insignia A ?
    I’d love a gsi estate but havnt found one as yet. Problem is all I can find are basic models with no extra toys fitted. One review I saw on YouTube ( car wow I think it was ) has me thinking I defo want one, even says interior is better than a Passat .
    I did see a good example not so long ago with lots of extras but I wasn’t quick enough haha
    Put it this way the money id save sticking with a vx insignia over a vw Passat / arteon is have cash left over for some modifications [emoji3] leather seats , bigger brakes , re map , and possibly gsi alloys
    Sat here bored as we all are so I’m thinking of my options .
    So going from a 2015 to a 2019 model will I see a massive difference??

I haven’t got one, but the more I see of the other members cars, the more it makes me want to change.

If you do decide to change, then go for the elite spec as they have all the toys.

I am sure that someone with the Insignia B will be along shortly to put their point across.
    LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Originally posted by Witty View Post
      I haven’t got one, but the more I see of the other members cars, the more it makes me want to change.

If you do decide to change, then go for the elite spec as they have all the toys.

I am sure that someone with the Insignia B will be along shortly to put their point across.
      Hi. I like the toys and leather on the elite but like the sportier looks of the sport tourer . Although if I’m honest I’ve not looked in detail just how different the exterior is between the two

Comment

I've never had an Insignia A but did have a B for a year, so will try and give you some input of what I thought about it.
        I changed from my 2012 Passat as I liked the look of the Insignia B. I had never had a Vauxhall before.

The boot is huge and very useful with it being a hatchback, and with kids you will probably find the saloon on the Passat is not as practical, unless you get an estate. It doesn't bother me as I am always in it myself.
        I would definitely try and get one with the LED Matrix headlights as the halogens are awful. And from what I have read the LED lights are amazing.
        The reversing camera is handy as the Insignia B is a long car and you need every bit of a parking space to get it in!

I was disappointed with the fuel economy of my 2.0 diesel. I did mostly motorway driving and it wasn't very good no matter how I drove it. The 1.5 petrol matches it on the motorway.
        There were things I didn't like about the Insignia after driving it for a while which made me want to change it. Not faults with the car itself just things that annoyed me or I missed that my previous Passat had.
        I also struggled to get a comfortable seating position in it, whether it was the spec I had or the fact I suffer from a sore back anyway I don't know.

This is just my opinion and the Insignia B certainly isn't a terrible car, it just didn't suit me and I prefer the Passat.

You should go and test drive a Passat (when the garages open back up!) even if it is just to convince yourself you don't want one! I've done that with cars in the past. Then it narrows down the list!

Comment

Originally posted by WAZ1 View Post
          I've never had an Insignia A but did have a B for a year, so will try and give you some input of what I thought about it.
          I changed from my 2012 Passat as I liked the look of the Insignia B. I had never had a Vauxhall before.

The boot is huge and very useful with it being a hatchback, and with kids you will probably find the saloon on the Passat is not as practical, unless you get an estate. It doesn't bother me as I am always in it myself.
          I would definitely try and get one with the LED Matrix headlights as the halogens are awful. And from what I have read the LED lights are amazing.
          The reversing camera is handy as the Insignia B is a long car and you need every bit of a parking space to get it in!

I was disappointed with the fuel economy of my 2.0 diesel. I did mostly motorway driving and it wasn't very good no matter how I drove it. The 1.5 petrol matches it on the motorway.
          There were things I didn't like about the Insignia after driving it for a while which made me want to change it. Not faults with the car itself just things that annoyed me or I missed that my previous Passat had.
          I also struggled to get a comfortable seating position in it, whether it was the spec I had or the fact I suffer from a sore back anyway I don't know.

This is just my opinion and the Insignia B certainly isn't a terrible car, it just didn't suit me and I prefer the Passat.

You should go and test drive a Passat (when the garages open back up!) even if it is just to convince yourself you don't want one! I've done that with cars in the past. Then it narrows down the list!
          Brilliant. Thanks , I think you are right. I haven’t driven a Passat so I need to before I make any decision. My neighbour is manager at my local vw garage which is handy. Both very nice looking cars but I seem to find ( online at least ) lots of passats and arteons with lots of extras , just a high price as the vw’s usualy are.

Comment

I had a 2013 pre-facelift 2.0 CDTi from March 2014 to May 2019, and covered around 60,000 miles in it. No major problems, and it was the best car I'd ever owned. Then last May I bought a 2018 Grand Sport 1.5T SRi. As I retired in 2017 and my annual mileage dropped from 16k to 7k, the increased fuel consumption compared to the diesel (30mpg vs 45) didn't bother me too much. Despite the differing engine, my new car outshines the previous one in every respect. I bought it second hand, but with only 1,700 on the clock, and the previous owner (Vauxhall UK) had upped the spec by including FF options such as full leather, reversing camera, auto parking, blind spot warning etc.
            Performance is good, handling far better, and although lighter it's less susceptible to cross winds. It's more luxurious inside, and as I near the 1 year mark I'm still chuffed every time I drive it. If you go for one, I don't think you'll regret it.
            2018 1.5T SRi Nav
            Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

I changed from a 2011 2.0l diesel ecoflex Design Nav hatchback to a 2019 1.5l petrol GS SRI in November last year.

Things I have noticed. There is way more space inside the crew compartment, it is far smoother and quieter (and I considered the previous one as large, smooth and quiet). There are a lot less creaks from the console too, overall it feels higher quality.

I’ve gone from 53mpg down to 40mpg, which does hurt a bit, but the fuel is cheaper I suppose.

The other cars I was considering were the Passat and Superb (I’m not hugely keen on either from the looks and they are plenty more money).

In the end I got a pre-reg at what I consider a good price. Have a think about wanting all those extras, I don’t think there is much of use beyond the standard spec and let’s just say that I know someone who bought an elite with everything last month and paid almost double what I did... the car is almost the same.

I’m not getting the obsession with LED headlights. Standard halogen are plenty enough to drive with and if an LED system goes out the replacement cost is phenomenal.

Ferret

Comment

Morning folks.
                Thanks for giving your experiences . Pretty positive so far. It’s good to read so thank you [emoji120]

Comment

I went from Vec C estate Sri 150cdti (with leather) to Insignia A Sri preface 160cdti (no leather) to Insignia B Vxline (leather).
                  The latest Insignia is back to the size of the Vec C estate, for me the Insignia A was too small in the boot. Initially the new car feels massive it's the same size as an A6 whereas the Insignia A fell somewhere between the A4/A6 or 3/5 series.
                  In my opionion the B rides much better than A even though I went from 18s on the A to 20s on the B.
                  After the 19s on the Vec C I said I would never go back to big wheels but once I test drove it I was sold. It rides extremely smoothly yet controlled and corners very flat. I find the ride in the B on 20s better than the A on 18s, plus I fitted 255/35/20 for piece of mind.
                  The A was a comfortable ride and I took it all over Europe several times, completing 4K on one trip in 2018 before I changed. I didnt suffer much complaints in either previous cars and none at all in this one, I have always found an easy fit in Vauxhall sport seats. Furthest I have taken this one was Cornwall last year which for me is 450 miles each way, we do it in one hop towing the second home. The second home is 1450 kg single axle but it pulls it easy, no sway. You have to keep a check on speed because it shows no signs that you are going over. The boot is massive swallows the caravan awning, dog cage and other essential equipment easy. The 2.0 diesel also has a bigger nose weight limit so theres very little dip in the back end when you hook the caravan on.
                  I have yet to take it on a massive trip but I have complete confidence it would be excellent.
                  Economy, I get 36 mpg average but I have changed from manual to auto. My A used to get 45 mpg but that was mostly motorway miles and my habits have changed as well as the gearbox because I am now retired.
                  I am very happy with it, and as well as highly recommending the car I would say try the auto option. If you get Vxline interior you get shift paddles which are very handy!
                  Choice is going to be the only drawback now as they are discontinued in the UK and they watered down the spec with the last model year. I was lucky to find a low mile Vauxhall staff car with options like the full leather, digi dash, auto and 20s I think all the tourers came with the rear view cam.

Comment

Went from a 10 plate preface diesel Elite Touer with all the toys to a brand new 18 plate Insignia B petrol SRi tourer....only thing i really miss is the AFL lights i had on the old one. Much prefer having petrol as well without all the DPF fun and games.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
                      I went from Vec C estate Sri 150cdti (with leather) to Insignia A Sri preface 160cdti (no leather) to Insignia B Vxline (leather).
                      The latest Insignia is back to the size of the Vec C estate, for me the Insignia A was too small in the boot. Initially the new car feels massive it's the same size as an A6 whereas the Insignia A fell somewhere between the A4/A6 or 3/5 series.
                      In my opionion the B rides much better than A even though I went from 18s on the A to 20s on the B.
                      After the 19s on the Vec C I said I would never go back to big wheels but once I test drove it I was sold. It rides extremely smoothly yet controlled and corners very flat. I find the ride in the B on 20s better than the A on 18s, plus I fitted 255/35/20 for piece of mind.
                      The A was a comfortable ride and I took it all over Europe several times, completing 4K on one trip in 2018 before I changed. I didnt suffer much complaints in either previous cars and none at all in this one, I have always found an easy fit in Vauxhall sport seats. Furthest I have taken this one was Cornwall last year which for me is 450 miles each way, we do it in one hop towing the second home. The second home is 1450 kg single axle but it pulls it easy, no sway. You have to keep a check on speed because it shows no signs that you are going over. The boot is massive swallows the caravan awning, dog cage and other essential equipment easy. The 2.0 diesel also has a bigger nose weight limit so theres very little dip in the back end when you hook the caravan on.
                      I have yet to take it on a massive trip but I have complete confidence it would be excellent.
                      Economy, I get 36 mpg average but I have changed from manual to auto. My A used to get 45 mpg but that was mostly motorway miles and my habits have changed as well as the gearbox because I am now retired.
                      I am very happy with it, and as well as highly recommending the car I would say try the auto option. If you get Vxline interior you get shift paddles which are very handy!
                      Choice is going to be the only drawback now as they are discontinued in the UK and they watered down the spec with the last model year. I was lucky to find a low mile Vauxhall staff car with options like the full leather, digi dash, auto and 20s I think all the tourers came with the rear view cam.
                      Wow great replies folks. This is all making me seriously consider staying with vx. As said it’s just trying to find one with good spec as they are discontinued now.
                      Even if o don’t find one with leather I will more than likely have it re trimmed as I did with my vec c.
                      My biggest concern is having a big boot, having room in the back for the kids . The Passat does all of this but I only really like the r line trim and then I’m looking upwards of £26k for low mileage good model.
                      Brilliant responses , thanks

Comment

I bought mine new and it will be 3 years old in July. Although I don't enjoy driving so much these days due to pot holes, bus lanes etc... It's still a lovely place to be. Mine is mid spec being an SRi but is well kitted out as you can see in my signature. It replaced my Insignia A facelift that I'd owned for nearly 3 years and the main thing you notice straight away is how well planted it is. It's so smooth and quiet. I was really surprised at the difference between this one and my previous one. I'm not knocking my previous one because it was a lovely car and the reason I stayed with the Insignia but your question asks about the differences.

The inside feels a lot bigger and there's plenty of room for the grandkids. I regularly have a child seat for a 3 year old, booster seat for a 6 year old and a 13 or 14 year old sat comfortably in the middle of them so that gives you an idea of the comfort for your kids.. It also sits three adults easily once the child seats are removed.

Mine doesn't have the Matrix lights but I've always been torn on whether or not I'd want or need them. My driving doesn't consist driving many unlit roads or even general night time driving so I don't have a need for them really other than bragging rights. As I said. My car is 3 years old in July so comes out of warranty. I wouldn't fancy the cost of replacing them if they fail out of warranty. Led bulbs (important you get the correct ones for beam pattern) in dipped and main beam has more than made up for the lack of Matrix so if you do go for an Insignia B without it, You wouldn't be at too much of a loss.

All the cars you're looking at will have safety features but I can vouch for how well they work on the Insignia B. The forward collision alert and breaking is brilliant.
                        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

I still cant get my head around the forward collision and braking, i've had the alert go off a few times quite often when it doesnt really need to as its due to a bend in the road or something like that but i've never felt anything to suggest the car was braking for me. All i get is the alert noise and flashing red light.

In terms of space we've got the little one and dog and about half the boot is taken up by the dog cage but it still leaves plenty of room. I spent 28 days in France with mine not long after i got it and it never broke sweat lugging two adults, child, dog and bucket loads of luggage plus a fair bit of wine and beer on the way back. Even as a 1.5 petrol its happy to plod along the french autoroutes at 80mph and not feel underpowered.

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                            I bought mine new and it will be 3 years old in July. Although I don't enjoy driving so much these days due to pot holes, bus lanes etc... It's still a lovely place to be. Mine is mid spec being an SRi but is well kitted out as you can see in my signature. It replaced my Insignia A facelift that I'd owned for nearly 3 years and the main thing you notice straight away is how well planted it is. It's so smooth and quiet. I was really surprised at the difference between this one and my previous one. I'm not knocking my previous one because it was a lovely car and the reason I stayed with the Insignia but your question asks about the differences.

The inside feels a lot bigger and there's plenty of room for the grandkids. I regularly have a child seat for a 3 year old, booster seat for a 6 year old and a 13 or 14 year old sat comfortably in the middle of them so that gives you an idea of the comfort for your kids.. It also sits three adults easily once the child seats are removed.

Mine doesn't have the Matrix lights but I've always been torn on whether or not I'd want or need them. My driving doesn't consist driving many unlit roads or even general night time driving so I don't have a need for them really other than bragging rights. As I said. My car is 3 years old in July so comes out of warranty. I wouldn't fancy the cost of replacing them if they fail out of warranty. Led bulbs (important you get the correct ones for beam pattern) in dipped and main beam has more than made up for the lack of Matrix so if you do go for an Insignia B without it, You wouldn't be at too much of a loss.

All the cars you're looking at will have safety features but I can vouch for how well they work on the Insignia B. The forward collision alert and breaking is brilliant.
                            Thats great to see you have had 3 kids in the back with comfort. All sounds very good so far.
                            What’s the difference between the lights ?? I take it you could just upgrade to led lights ??
                            I think as I’ve only really ever had cars with very little extras fitted I’d like one now with some good toys, even if I use them or not haha. I do a lot of driving in the dark so better lights would be good for sure.
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bransoj View Post
                              I still cant get my head around the forward collision and braking, i've had the alert go off a few times quite often when it doesnt really need to as its due to a bend in the road or something like that but i've never felt anything to suggest the car was braking for me. All i get is the alert noise and flashing red light.

In terms of space we've got the little one and dog and about half the boot is taken up by the dog cage but it still leaves plenty of room. I spent 28 days in France with mine not long after i got it and it never broke sweat lugging two adults, child, dog and bucket loads of luggage plus a fair bit of wine and beer on the way back. Even as a 1.5 petrol its happy to plod along the french autoroutes at 80mph and not feel underpowered.
                              The one thing i was disappointed with when I went from my vec c to the insignia was the boot. Ok it was big enough back then for what I needed, but with child 3 and the need for a pram /buggy the bout space was not adequate enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X