Brake Disc Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Disc Advice

So basically i had a full set of eicher crappy eurocarparts brake disc and pads on however im upgrading my pads to EBC red stuff, as i fear ill melt the pads of the backing plates if i keep them on much longer (even though they are only 2 months old). So what i really need to know is what the difference between premium brand brake discs and budget brake discs, because realistically its a slab of steel with a flat braking surface whatever disc you put on. I understand that they are more prone to warp at high temps however ive got these disc and pads so hot that ive set the brake dust on fire on the alloys and they are still straight. I just want to know if i get EBC pads are they going to bottleneck because of the budget discs? Thank you prior to replying

I would like to think premium priced discs are made of higher grade steel,so less prone to warping,but these days ,who knows,everything seems to be made in China now

also ,I think ebc brake pads work better at higher temps
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I only buy genuine parts now. I had Mtec drilled discs before and they warped after a year. I order the disc and pad sets from autovaux now. Usually a bit cheaper than buying individually although I know there will be better options.

Comment

so basically know one actually knows the difference, if they warp they warp regardless of brands

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme1975 View Post
          I only buy genuine parts now. I had Mtec drilled discs before and they warped after a year. I order the disc and pad sets from autovaux now. Usually a bit cheaper than buying individually although I know there will be better options.
          I have had the genuine Vauxhall set before that come boxed with pads and had no problems with them. They weren't any more expensive at the time I had them. I don't know what my last discs were, my local garage fit them, they would likely be euro car parts or similar, again no problems. Having said that I don't use my brakes!

Comment

I bought MTEC ones for my Vectra. Had to contact them after 6 months as the front was getting a vibration.
            The disc had warped and it wasn't through excessive braking.
            They sent 1 replacement disc but I wasn't putting on just one disc.

I bought new VX discs and pads, fitted them and didn't have a minutes trouble.

On the Insignia are MTEC ones as they were a gift from my son.....but although there's nothing wrong with them, I've lost faith in the products.
            They will need replaced at the end of the year, but I'll buy VX ones before the summer is out and replace them.

Comment

Just from my experience in the past with a focus I had
              I upgraded pads and discs (can’t remember the brand, but they were significantly dearer)
              Anyway after 3 months there was awful vibrations when braking, took it to a mates garage and the discs were shagged, as warped as Ebernezeergoode on a Saturday night!!!!

We replaced them with ford parts, they were sweet then, I used the car for well over a year before selling.
              In some cases the brand isnt always the best but that was my personal experience.

Comment

It is down to the way the discs are made , at the end the whole science behind brakes is friction .more friction the better the stopping power .
                The disc is steel and the friction material ( pad ) rubs against it causing friction.slowing the car down.
                the friction material gets hot due to friction transfers the heat to the disc depending on how good the disc is at getting heat away then the surface temperature is kept low .keeping good amount of friction.
                If not then heat over time will worp a disc .
                All discs thease days are vented on at least the front if the vents are hollow and go from in to outside thus improving cooling .
                They are normally straight , but technology has improved and now they spiral outwards ( sided ) or drilled improving heat dissipation
                Groved as above.
                A normal disc with normal pads will suffice the needs of most motorists
                Though the higher the performance then , performance pads and discs come into play , EBC red , yellow , green are for higher sustained brakeing and as exclusiv said they work better at higher temperatures.
                So even though the Halfords boys with there suped up hot hatches who mince around McDonald's with a girlfriend called Sharon with a hair colour out of a bottle think it's cool having EBC pads they are not really getting the full effect.
                So to your question yes better discs are made better , but not to say cheaper discs are not useful or else they would become a very heavy frisbee that would kill a dog or child .
                I for one think that the only things that are going to stop you safely are suspension , steering , tyres , brakes ,
                I have over years been a bit of a brake whore ,
                I did at first have mintex grooved and drilled all round , draided hoses , DOT5 brake fluid .
                And when braking it use to shoot my eyeballs out of my head
                But after prolonged high speed braking the discs could not get the heat away .
                So changed for ROTOR DISCS , and pagid pads much better and sustained high speed braking improved a lot
                The discs must of been manufactured differently.
                Any how the moral is , you have to ask yourself what type of driving style is yours ?
                With EPC doing more sales than SCS you can get pagid discs and pads cheaper than those you have on there at the moment.
                Anyway I'm going to lie down In a dark room because I think this novel is one of the best I've written .and it's quite meaningful to me at least !
                Tally Ho !

.K.M.P.C.U
                YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

The superior notion at Vauxhall would be that the discs are matched to the pads. I would completely agree. The only problem I ever had, which took a long time for me to discover, is that the plank who changed the discs and pads (all Genuine Vauxhall) when I bought my car, never cleaned of the protective oil coating off the discs, thus contaminating the pads which gave rise to a 'Humm' at low speed braking. I must have spent over 2 years trying to figure this out. Now thats incompetence. Not me, Him (or her).

Comment

Working...
                  X