Shock gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock gone?

Hello people. How are you all? Hope you’re all keeping well and safe.

I hot a bitch of a pothole earlier, straight after hitting it I heard a knocking as the car went over any bumps in the road, I had a look when I got home and think the shock has been buggered, there is a pic (excuse the dirt build up) just wondering is my diagnosis correct and the job to replace the rear passenger side shock itself? A driveway at home job? Thanks all.

Might have snapped the mount by the looks of it, easy purchase.
    The problem will be removing the old one from shock mate

Comment

As Alex correctly diagnosed, top mount .has gone wobbly.
      If you got tools and correct safety equipment ( axel stands trolley jack ) and some spray penetrating oil , then it may be persuaded to come apart.
      I've done some on mine and to my surprise it all worked out fine , as the nut is nylock , and not normally done up to the "FT" setting on a torque wrench .
      I'll butt out now as Alex has given youhoo the answer
      Just bumping my post count up
      Tally ho

.K.M.P.C.U
      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Hello chaps, thank you for the swift reply’s.
        So the mount is most likely the issue?

Please forgive my picture but the mount is circled in red, shock is circled in green.
        Would I replace mount and also the shock too??
        I do have the main tools and equipment (well my guv does in his work shed!!!) so I can go at it myself some day after getting the parts.
        Thanks again for the input it’s much appreciated. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by Brian147 View Post
          Hello chaps, thank you for the swift reply’s.
          So the mount is most likely the issue?

Please forgive my picture but the mount is circled in red, shock is circled in green.
          Would I replace mount and also the shock too??
          I do have the main tools and equipment (well my guv does in his work shed!!!) so I can go at it myself some day after getting the parts.
          Thanks again for the input it’s much appreciated. [emoji1303][emoji1303]
          That's correct, the mount could be changed on it's own.
          I recently just changed my own with the shocks as my car had covered around 148k an they looked original.
          Only issue I came across was the mount had welded it's self to the shock so dust covers were stuck on old shocks, that's when the grinder came in useful
          Can't remember the size of the bolts but I'm thinking it was 2x18mm on the mount and 22mm I think at bottom of shock.
          Very easy to do highly advise tackling yourself.

Comment

Various prices:
            Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for KYB SM5652 Suspension Control/Wishbone/Arm Bushing/Mount at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!

Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
            Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Alex421 View Post
              That's correct, the mount could be changed on it's own.
              I recently just changed my own with the shocks as my car had covered around 148k an they looked original.
              Only issue I came across was the mount had welded it's self to the shock so dust covers were stuck on old shocks, that's when the grinder came in useful
              Can't remember the size of the bolts but I'm thinking it was 2x18mm on the mount and 22mm I think at bottom of shock.
              Very easy to do highly advise tackling yourself.
              Hiya , thanks a million for the advice, it’s much appreciated. I had a quick look there online and the parts are less then I thought too which is a bonus. I may be aswell to replace mounts and shocks on the rear so basically buy two of each, then it’s done and dusted.

Comment

Hiya , thanks a million for the advice, it’s much appreciated. I had a quick look there online and the parts are less then I thought too which is a bonus. I may be aswell to replace mounts and shocks on the rear so basically buy two of each, then it’s done and dusted.
                Always best when it comes to suspension and brakes to replace in pairs on the same axle.

Comment

Thanks Alex, I’ll do some research on the parts and find the best prices.
                  Thanks for the help and advice though. Fair play to ya [emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
                    Various prices:
                    Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for KYB SM5652 Suspension Control/Wishbone/Arm Bushing/Mount at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-KYB-S...wAAOSwWk1dwzoj
                    Thanks Howy I shall have a browse. [emoji1303][emoji1305]

Comment

The only place I could get horns from(beep beep type) as nowhere open around here,got new pair but post/couriers took slightly longer to arrive,got them though,
                      Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                      Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Thanks Alex, I’ll do some research on the parts and find the best prices.
                        Thanks for the help and advice though. Fair play to ya [emoji1303]
                        Your welcome mate, that's what we are here for

Comment

Youve got lots of good info so far. It looks like the top mount has failed. The shock may be fine if you want to keep cost down. The top nut is 15mm but in my experience the difficulty is getting a grip on the shock strut to remove the top nut, its 8mm on a flat spanner (not hex) which is not ideal. Opel now only sell the shock with the top mount attached for this reason. You may need a vise grips tight as you can (like a duck or a camel) to remove. But otherwise a relatively easy DIY job and certainly not one to go to a garage for.

Comment

Would this kit be best to get and Replace the rear set or is it a cheap nasty set that’ll last 6 months??

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X