No announcement yet.

What fuel do you use plus additives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All my company vans have been run on 'supermarket' fuel,even my Transit Custom Trend 69 plate pulls like a train with no issues.
    Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
    Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
      youll get folks in the very near future refusing to charge their cars in supermarket car parks ,because they'll believe electric is inferior too
      I know what you mean. I chuckle when I see the product recalls for food. It's usually a few brands together one recently was for Pesto, first on the list was Scala (expensive) then it went something like Waitrose, Sainsburys, then Lidl. So if the same company is supplying all those brands with pesto why pay 3 or 4x the price for the top brand name. I'm convinced it's the same with fuel, all made at the same refineries, there might be some argument that they contain slightly different additives but thats about it. In my scientifically based (made up) opinion, supermarket fuel is cheaper to tempt you to the store not because it's inferior.

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
        All my company vans have been run on 'supermarket' fuel,even my Transit Custom Trend 69 plate pulls like a train with no issues.
        Same here Howy......we use Morrisons or Tesco fuel for the vans and I've a 15 plate transit with 275k on the clock......pulls like train.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
          I know what you mean. I chuckle when I see the product recalls for food. It's usually a few brands together one recently was for Pesto, first on the list was Scala (expensive) then it went something like Waitrose, Sainsburys, then Lidl. So if the same company is supplying all those brands with pesto why pay 3 or 4x the price for the top brand name. I'm convinced it's the same with fuel, all made at the same refineries, there might be some argument that they contain slightly different additives but thats about it. In my scientifically based (made up) opinion, supermarket fuel is cheaper to tempt you to the store not because it's inferior.

Drew......agreed mate.
          My missus is a team leader in Asda and the fuel is lower priced as it's to entice customers who finish their shop and then go into get fuel on the way out the car park.
          If your driving out the car park and you see petrol at 0.99p a litre or diesel at 1.08 a litre, you gonna stop and fill up rather than head out of your way to a station and pay 1.15 or 1.20 a litre.

As you said the fuel is refined in the same places as others.......I can't see it storing inferior fuel in seperate tanks just for supermarkets.
          It's got to be manufactured and conform to the same standards as the rest.

My dream would be an Aldi or Lidl station

Comment

True, all the same base fuel. Just the branded fuel has extra/more expensive additives etc. which obviously pushes the prices up but perhaps excessively. I am sceptical but I do think there is a slight difference in the properties of the petrol. I used cheaper fuels early on when I bought my Insignia but found if it stood for a few days, it didn't run perfectly for a few miles. When I switched to Shell and BP to see if there was a difference, it was fine from the off. Maybe it's less of a problem with diesel. The Vectra however doesn't care what's in it

Comment

I'm just sceptical because I live near Teesside, the refinery there that's now run by Green Energy no longer refines but still distributes thousands of gallons a day (1/4 of all UK) and their tankers deliver in any livery you like, such as Esso, Morrison's Sainsbury's etc. Another clue is Sainsbury's were in cahoots with BP but have recently switched to Texaco. I just suspect it's all the same stuff.

Comment

I'm just sceptical because I live near Teesside, the refinery there that's now run by Green Energy no longer refines but still distributes thousands of gallons a day (1/4 of all UK) and their tankers deliver in any livery you like, such as Esso, Morrison's Sainsbury's etc. Another clue is Sainsbury's were in cahoots with BP but have recently switched to Texaco. I just suspect it's all the same stuff.
                Are Texaco not in bed with Esso to?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex421 View Post
                  Are Texaco not in bed with Esso to?
                  Who's not in bed with who nowadays

Comment

Years ago my daughter worked in a petrol station when the tanker delivered different tanks on the lorry was for different brands additives being the reason nowadays because of deals and join ups don’t think this applies I just go for cheapest and add redex etc don’t seem to get it much nowadays was garages with old storage tanks letting in water particularly in diesel some garages were avoided doesn’t seem to happen much now

Comment

A few years ago I even considered brewing my own, when it looked like prices were going over £1.50 a litre. I looked at the kits on ebay. Some people are still doing it, I think at the time there were a lot of taxis running old chip oil, you could smell it if you followed one!

Comment

A few years ago I even considered brewing my own, when it looked like prices were going over £1.50 a litre. I looked at the kits on ebay. Some people are still doing it, I think at the time there were a lot of taxis running old chip oil, you could smell it if you followed one!
                        I know someone who used to do that with an old non turbo diesel back in the day, he saved a packet

Comment

I use the local BP but only because it's the closest to me.
                          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Before delivery of any fuel in tankers the refinery adds additives to preserve fuel, the best fuel to use is shell and BP they add the best additives I know this because my grandad drove tankers at shell for 22 years. Shell fuel has a more lubricant additive which is better for your engine plus doesn't do a lot of damage to your DPF filter. If you drive your car short journeys in a diesel it is bad for ANY DPF filter.

Comment

Didn't Shell come out with a 'new' fuel years ago that the older 8v-16v engines didn't like,can't remember what it was called?
                              Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                              Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Shane redfearn View Post
                                Before delivery of any fuel in tankers the refinery adds additives to preserve fuel, the best fuel to use is shell and BP they add the best additives I know this because my grandad drove tankers at shell for 22 years. Shell fuel has a more lubricant additive which is better for your engine plus doesn't do a lot of damage to your DPF filter. If you drive your car short journeys in a diesel it is bad for ANY DPF filter.
                                I'll stand corrected. I've never had any problems though, but maybe I am missing a few bhp....

Comment

Working...
                                X