Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Vehicle Soon (Glow Plug)

Hi I have an insignia late 2013 2.0 CDTI ECOFLEX SRI NAV S/S 163PS

My problem is I got the above message before Christmas. Brought it to the garage and they said it was low pressure in glow plug one and it would eventually go completely but it would be over €200 to replace. As the car was driving fine i said i'd wait and also the price I'd do it myself.

So got the part (My Glow Plugs are the pressurized ones) and changed it last night but the service message is still appearing. I also checked the old glow plug on a multi-meter and it was reading fine.

I haven't checked the other glow plugs but i am assuming Glow Plug 1 would mean the glow plug on the left as i'm looking at the engine?

I'm going to check tonight if the other plugs are ok. If i find a faulty one and replace it will the service message disappear or will I have to bring the car to a garage to reset it.

Thanks

Think you will have to clear the fault with the correct diagnostics----mine done the same and I had to clear it------Dave

Comment

What was it reading on the multimeter,think mine was around 20-22 ohms if my memory serves me well-----Dave

Comment

Yeah when i checked with the multimeter I was getting a O reading? I haven't checked the other 3 plugs as it was a nightmare trying to get the cover off the plug. But I will later so hopefully that tells me which one is faulty

Comment

The connector plugs are quite tight to get off but once you have removed 1 the rest will be easy, and with your meter you should get more or less the same readings and no1 is the one on the left hand side of the engine--looking from the front of the car-----Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
            The connector plugs are quite tight to get off but once you have removed 1 the rest will be easy, and with your meter you should get more or less the same readings and no1 is the one on the left hand side of the engine--looking from the front of the car-----Dave
            Perfect thanks,

Yeah the garage told me it was Glow plug 1 but that seemed fine when i checked it.

I'll have a look tonight anyway at the other 3 plugs. Hopefully one is faulty anyway and that's the issue. I was looking at ordering a cheap diagnostic tool to reset the fault message and check everything is ok after i replaced the plugs so we'll see how it goes

Comment

Most cheap diagnostics don't really work well with the Vauxhalls,you wuld need a good Opcom one[not Chinese] or what I use Maxiecu a bit pricey but you can add other brands of car onto it for a small fee---with opcom you are stuck with just Vauxhall----Gendan a company in the UK are very good for advice------Dave

Comment

This was the one i was looking at:

But i'll have a look at the Maxiecu one aswel thanks

Comment

That's just a very basic one that really won't be of much use--have a look on the Gendan website---www.gendan .co.uk and see what there is available-----Dave

Comment

Where do you live Keller? Perhaps a meme er local to you may have one.

I have the icarsoft which works pretty well

Comment

He's in Ireland--Ian

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200506_185414.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	246903

OK so I'm hoping the above is the correct way to check. Got one reading a good bit higher than the rest so have that changed now with the new one. Message still coming up but will order the diagnostic tool and get it checked then.

Thanks for the help ����

Comment

You can't rely on an multi meter to diagnose those pressure sensing glowplugs as they have some intelligence build in which communicates with your ECU. The glowing part might function perfectly while the pressure sensing part doesn't work. This will result in the service message.

Comment

You can check pressure type glow plugs in place with an Pecoscope or oscilloscope and an amp clamp
                            You have to identify glow plug relay and wiring to each glowing
                            Connect oscilloscope Pecoscope live to each glow plug positive on bottom of relay and amp clamp
                            Run engine and you should have about 23 amps +/- current draw , and battery voltage of about 14 volts +/-
                            With a wave formation on both .(on off on off )
                            If both readings are good all ok
                            If amp draw is zero then that's your bad glow plug.
                            Tally Ho

.K.M.P.C.U
                            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                              You can check pressure type glow plugs in place with an Pecoscope or oscilloscope and an amp clamp
                              You have to identify glow plug relay and wiring to each glowing
                              Connect oscilloscope Pecoscope live to each glow plug positive on bottom of relay and amp clamp
                              Run engine and you should have about 23 amps +/- current draw , and battery voltage of about 14 volts +/-
                              With a wave formation on both .(on off on off )
                              If both readings are good all ok
                              If amp draw is zero then that's your bad glow plug.
                              Tally Ho
                              Then you still can't rule out the electronics in the plug are defect. I had the same message, the dealer first thought of a software issue as the plug was reporting both a pressure too high and a too low fault (there is a software update related to this message). It didn't show an error that indicated the glowing part didn't work. The car also started perfectly, even when it was cold outside. Turned out the glow plug was defect, so in the end they replaced it.

Comment

Working...
                              X