Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change Insignia B

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right bit to post about this...

I’m a bit of a newbie on cars really just getting into hopefully maintaining mine myself to save cash.

I’m hoping to do my first ever oil change soon and was wondering if it’s best to torque the sump bolt back up or just nipp it up with a normal wrench?

I’m slightly nervous about stripping the oil pan and doing it too tight

Thanks a lot

Damon

Hello mate,
    I would always torque it to the manufacturers spec, while you’ve the sump plug out, I’d always put a new washer on it at the very minimum for the sake of a couple of quid. Think the filter is 25nm and sump is 14nm off the top
    Of my head.
    Simple Enough job and can seem daunting on your ever first attempt but it’s straight forward [emoji1303][emoji1320]

Comment

Also make sure you have the correct tool to undo the sump plug .
      Sounds strange but , it may either have a simple bolt head on it ,or some like to go the perverted route , and put a female hex head on it .
      A word of advice, make sure you have a good quality spanner , because sometimes garages like to do them up,"FT" style
      And if you have not got a good grip on the sump plug , it can round off the corners .
      A good grip,a a clout with your palm normally cracks them off .
      10-4 rubber duck .

.K.M.P.C.U
      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Thanks for the response guys, I tried to undo the oil filter and oil has all ran down the left hand side on the belts a little bit. I tried my best to wipe it all off but I'm not sure if it's all gone. Would this cause any problems down the line??

Thanks

Damon

Comment

Oil on rubber are not good bed fellows over time ,
          Depends how much was split
          10-4 rubber belt !

.K.M.P.C.U
          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Was quite abit but can’t get to it all. Guessing I need a new belt and the whole area cleaned up, which I don’t feel confident in doing.

Learn from your mistakes I guess

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
              Was quite abit but can’t get to it all. Guessing I need a new belt and the whole area cleaned up, which I don’t feel confident in doing.

Learn from your mistakes I guess

Thanks
              Try to get as much off as possible if you can but by all means don’t let it knock your confidence in doing work on the car in the future, first time I serviced my own vehicle was a transit van , cracked the oil filter casing doing it up too tight!!! Got a new one and learned my lesson.

Comment

Alright cheers mate, I’ve doused the whole area in brake cleaner and it’s looking better. Thanks for the boost in confidence man because it’s cheered me up!

Onwards and upwards and learn!

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
                  Alright cheers mate, I’ve doused the whole area in brake cleaner and it’s looking better. Thanks for the boost in confidence man because it’s cheered me up!

Onwards and upwards and learn!
                  No bother my man. Keep battling on and the gang on here are good with advice etc with literally anything insignia related even step by step stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X