Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empty Header tank

Morning all.
    Last week I checked my header tank and it was adequately filled. Today I started the car and the tank was empty and gave me a warning on the dash

Every cold start I get around ten seconds of vapours coming out the exhaust, and I've noticed some water around my engine bay under the solid boost pipe going above the engine to the manifold so I'm not sure where to begin, and advice on diagnosing the leak point could be great. I'll get pictures tomorrow, I'll probably have to remove the battery and ECM to get a better view for pictures

2010 2.0 CDTI 130 with DPF and EGR installed and assumed not blanked or gutted

TIA

Front of engine or rear side of engine ?

Easiest to do removing battery box and plastic boost pipe just for ease and being able to see properly. Then you should see dry coolant residue better.

Common is the egr cooler box. Black box At front right half way down engine behind wiring and pipes.

If side to the rear it could be thermostat or one of many coolant pipes.

Chance the coolant tank has a split to.

Also the coolant cap pressure release valve goes easily allowing coolant to vent when not needed.

Try n look for white powder coolant residue.
    May need to clean old off then wait for new spray.

If car over 60k I would prob redo thermostat at same time as cooler. You Lose half the coolant doing either. So save redoing coolant cost.
    Prob drain n replaced Full coolant while at it as mini service ?

All common.

Comment

So on today's short town drive I found steam under the hood, and when I got home I lost almost the content of my header tank, hopefully someone knows the fault looking at this spray pattern from coolant?

I'll have the ECM and battery out to tomorrow to look for the leak but in the meantime any advice is welcomed, should I be buying parts in advanced?

How can I upload videos for you guys to see Click image for larger version

Name:	20200522_122916.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	247122

Comment

I think the egr cooler is in that area by the oil dipstick, these are a common problem on the insignia.
        LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Originally posted by Witty View Post
          I think the egg cooler is in that area by the oil dipstick, these are a common problem on the insignia.
          There goes predictive text again. Do they all have egg coolers!

Comment

Originally posted by Witty View Post
            I think the egr cooler is in that area by the oil dipstick, these are a common problem on the insignia.
            Is it a repair or replace job mate?

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
              There goes predictive text again. Do they all have egg coolers!
              Edited after I read it back to myself, but obviously not quick enough.
              LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon12345 View Post
                Is it a repair or replace job mate?
                I think a replace job mate.

Comment

Have you tried starting it from cold with the bonnet up and just checking the water is circulating correctly? You should be able to feel either side of the thermostat and notice when it opens. You should then feel the radiator hotting up, eventually the fans kicking in. Keep away from moving parts/exhaust and as it gets hot watch out for any steam. If it does start don't touch anything just turn it off and let it cool.

Comment

Very common problem with the EGR cooler and its best to replace the complete unit along with the new seals---bit of a job to do--just done mine--but now everything seems to be watertight---don't overtighten any of the bolts holding the EGR cooler to the engine----and buy a genuine or OEM part if you can------Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
                      Very common problem with the EGR cooler and its best to replace the complete unit along with the new seals---bit of a job to do--just done mine--but now everything seems to be watertight---don't overtighten any of the bolts holding the EGR cooler to the engine----and buy a genuine or OEM part if you can------Dave
                      Any reputable sellers for EGR cooler and seals/gaskets for the job?

A20 DTJ engine

Comment

I got mine from ebay and if I remember it wasn't that expensive--you should get the seals with the new part---my engine was the A20 DTH so don't know if yours would be any different---so you had better check that out-----Dave

Comment

Part number for mine was---55590953 and prices vary so do try and get a decent one------Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
                            I got mine from ebay and if I remember it wasn't that expensive--you should get the seals with the new part---my engine was the A20 DTH so don't know if yours would be any different---so you had better check that out-----Dave
                            Sorry to be nagging but is this the part in question that needs to be replaced?

ASTRA J (P10): 2.0 BiTurbo CDTI (68) 09.2012 - 10.2015. ASTRA J GTC: 2.0 CDTI (08) 10.2011 - 10.2015. ASTRA J GTC: 2.0 BiTurbo CDTI (08) 10.2012 - 10.2015. ASTRA J Sports Tourer (P10): 2.0 CDTI (35) 10.2010 - 10.2015.

DTJ is 130 bhp

Comment

I would be putting my car details in and checking and yes that's the part you're after - - - Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X