tuning boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuning boxes

always been sceptical about these so called "tuning" boxes......this is a bit long winded,but worth a listen if you are undecided

So we get asked all the time about "XX Tuning box makes X power so why does a custom tune make the same? or less? or only a tiny bit more?" so we decided to ...
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Good post, I have the same opinion

Comment

Now I had a DTUK box on my 165ps Astra. Could feel a huge difference in power, on a dyno it didn't produce more power but not claimed. Within 5% of claimed. But Vauxhall did an ECU update & basically stopped working. DTUK aftercare was ok for a few emails but as they couldn't solve it they gave up. Also tried a TDI tuning & on the dyno they were weren't as close as the DTUK box but did make in around 180bhp / 390nm.

Now I had the TDI box remapped to work on the 170ps. Again it goes like s*** off a shovel but removed it after having clutch issues as it claims to make 488nm. Not sure how much the standard clutch is rated for.

I have a custom remapped other car which is still in warranty but with over 600bhp its a 2.5t rocket. My work truck is custom remapped too & you can tell the different between boxes & remaps. Had a remap on the truck & then a custom remap. The custom remap is 100x better. Custom remapped truck added 270bhp & 700nm to its base figure. 4200nm & 1000bhp truck is fun

Comment

I seen that on YouTube as well. Wasn't overly surprised as there is no way of properly testing these companies claims without going to hassle of getting a rolling road done. I was once told years ago by a mechanic that they just butcher the perimeters of the engine and are not good for it so steered clear at the time. I did try one few years back on mine and it was producing smoke so I ended up taking off and getting a proper remap.

Comment

I had a Lexus is220d and it was shitty to drive.the gearing was weird ,1st and second seemed to not have a lot of power.I got a tuning box from Germany and it transformed the car.power in gears were improved and made me love the car.it may claim to add power but improved drivability is much more satisfying in my opinion..have insignia now .

Comment

I've used a couple of tuning boxes in the past, (a couple of my cars were used to develop tuning boxes and I was a part owner of a tuning box company but distanced myself) starting with the original Resistor type that simply increased the pressure in the fuel rail, right up to the spider boxes. Yes, the car feels faster and some gave proven gains on a rolling road.

Would I fit another? - No.

My belief is manufacturers spend millions on development and as soon as you start pushing components to their limits by increasing air, fuel or whatever through it they fail. This is what happened to my cars, components failed. I would not even remap any of my cars.

If you want a quick car then buy one, don't try to make a fast car out of a nippy one.

'There's no replacement for displacement!'
            2015 SRi Nav CDTi 140 VX-line Nav

Comment

Working...
            X