Xenon to Halogen downgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenon to Halogen downgrade

I've been having issues with Xenon lights in my 2012 Insignia sports tourer. The driver side light had condensation inside which quickly led to the Xenon light first intermittently not working, and now not working at all, bulb replacement did not help so it may be the ballast. The passenger side has issues with AFL starting to play up. Replacement Xenons cost an arm and leg, even aftermarket, and I'd need to replace the driver's one at least as it's foggy and the plastic has some micro-cracks. I am also afraid that the AFL in the other one will fail soon.

I am therfore looking at other options. Perhaps I can replace the ballast and get the light sealed, but I don't care too much about the expensive Xenons and would happily "downgrade" to much cheaper halogen lights. I am talking about changing the entire head lamp unit, I can get aftermarket halogen replacement lights that fit, but the question is about the connector and pin out. They both have a 10-pin connector (the one with red sides) but can I just plug the connector in the new halogen headlight, or would I need to change the pin out / wiring / anything else?

----------------
    Insignia Sports Tourer 2012 - Elite Nav CDTI A (Pre Facelift)
    Insignia Sports Tourer 2012 - Elite Nav CDTI A (Pre Facelift). 1.9L Diesel, Nav, Xenons, auto.

Hi,pop along here and introduce yourself with being a new member,show some pics,friendly bunch on here with a good knowledge on this forum.

Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
    Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Thanks, yes that's done now :-) Looking forward to some tips on the best way forward.

By the way here's the connector on the Xenon lights:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-06-10 at 14.28.30.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	247395

And the plug on the Xenon lights:

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-06-10 at 14.28.30 (1).jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	247396

And here's the connector on the halogen lights:

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-06-18 at 14.22.28.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	247397

It is the same type of connector but e.g. one (and a different one) pin is unused in both cases.
      Insignia Sports Tourer 2012 - Elite Nav CDTI A (Pre Facelift). 1.9L Diesel, Nav, Xenons, auto.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane View Post
        Thanks, yes that's done now :-) Looking forward to some tips on the best way forward.

By the way here's the connector on the Xenon lights:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]6291[/ATTACH]

And the plug on the Xenon lights:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]6292[/ATTACH]

And here's the connector on the halogen lights:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]6293[/ATTACH]

It is the same type of connector but e.g. one (and a different one) pin is unused in both cases.
        Cant see any introduction mate, if you've done it

we always like when new members join our forum.
        would you care to visit this section of the forum...………….

and introduce yourself properly to everyone.

Tell us a bit about yourself and maybe share a pic or 2 of your car.

Thanks...………...much appreciated.

Comment

OK not many people apparently donwgrading. I looked into it with 2 garages and decided to stay with the Xenons as changing to halogens would require changing the electrics, which would be possible but not cheap either and depending on how it would be done, would result in no control over the beam leveling (because of AFL there is no manual control) or some bolt-on automatic solution. Also the car could keep reporting issues on the dashboard not being able to read the light sensors - perhaps this could be changed by some reprogramming but not sure. So in absence of other feedback I decided to just get a new Xenon light and ballast, complete rip-off for the light though....

Word of warning, I should have dome something with the light the moment I noticed initial signs of condensation inside. In time it led to the light to go beyond simple sealing/repair and also damaged the AFL and the ballast - the ballast was literally dripping wet - blew the fuse in the end. So if anybody has a similar issue try to re-seal the light as soonas possible to prevent further damage happening.

Comment

Working...
          X