Exhaust smells/Rough idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust smells/Rough idle

Hello all! I have arrived once again for help! Maybe when I collect enough knowledge from this epic forum we have here I can return the favor but anyway I shall cut to the chase, for some strange reason when I start the car regardless of temperature outside I will add, I have quite a strong sweet smell coming from exhaust as well as a small amount of white smoke and when I say small amount I mean quite minuscule, this however including the smell goes away quite quickly, am I right in thinking this is coolant? I had low coolant message appear a long while ago now and has not returned, cannot find any wet areas either near header tank and egr, also most warm/hot mornings which isn’t many as I live in Kerry in Ireland , I get rough idle with the revs bouncing up and down. It then equals out in about 30 seconds to 1 minute and all is fine, get codes read or any suggestions? I love my car and I want it to run smoothly once more! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mikey

I just bought my insignia on sunday, and just noticed this rough idle on startup, also looking for some answers! Revs bounce up and down just below 1000rpm at idle for a good minute or two at least. Can't say I've noticed funny smelling exhaust though. Mines a 2012 2.0 CDTI
    Last edited by eyeballpaul; 28-07-2020, 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I hope we find an answer mine is slowly getting worse, changed my coolant temperature sensor as I heard it can cause this and no difference

Comment

Faulty glow plugs or glow plug module.
        That's if it only happens on a cold engine
        If it still persists when car engine temperature is normal then you have to start looking at fault injectors.
        67-54 rubber stamp!

Sent from my Nokia 4.2 using Tapatalk

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Had a faulty glow plug 3 cylinder replaced after getting service vehicle soon message and glow plug code, still getting symptoms thank you anyway

Comment

Was the glowing coded to the car ?
            it won't stop it from starting but
            requires coding as per code on new glowplug
            for fuel trim / delivery and pattern .
            -10-19 rubber carbon!

.K.M.P.C.U
            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I’m sorry I don’t understand

Comment

Originally posted by MikeSignia View Post
                I’m sorry I don’t understand
                Did the new glow plug get coded to the car?

P30 lite using Tapatalk

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                  Did the new glow plug get coded to the car?

P30 lite using Tapatalk
                  Thank you Matt ,
                  i never realised what I had written
                  no wonder he was confused!

.K.M.P.C.U
                  YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                    Thank you Matt ,
                    i never realised what I had written
                    no wonder he was confused!
                    Do you ever know what you have written

P30 lite using Tapatalk

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Ah I see well it went to an opel dealer (lives in Ireland) so they replaced it so I would assume so! Thank you

Comment

Oh boy, glow plugs need coding now? What have modern cars become is the coding something we can do ourselves with a laptop?

Not looking forward to having to replace glow plugs if that's the issue, as I'm led to believe I need the (much) more expensive plugs with sensors as mine's the ecoflex

Comment

Originally posted by eyeballpaul View Post
                          Oh boy, glow plugs need coding now? What have modern cars become is the coding something we can do ourselves with a laptop?

Not looking forward to having to replace glow plugs if that's the issue, as I'm led to believe I need the (much) more expensive plugs with sensors as mine's the ecoflex
                          Far as I know they are like most injectors. If they are coded they work as should instantly, if not coded they still work but take some time to learn the settings of the car. Sure someone will put me right if that's a load of tosh, but that's how I see it

P30 lite using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi everyone, so I after introduced myself coming with same problem, no visible smoke at all, but the smell is terrifying all around the car, and when on idle through the fan inside the car(if the fan is on). Got my kids sick couple of time, think because of this matter, because is really much stronger smell than I noticed around other diesel cars. Revs are dancing same, up and down slightly when turning on the engine, just when is colder outside only.

So have booked for tomorrow though AA warranty, hope they will find out and sort it, otherwise this issue is annoying and danger...

Otherwise pulls like crazy, nothing else wrong, keep the motorway steady and comfy... So will see tomorrow how it goes.

Will keep you updated, guys... Maybe someone else will have same issue( hope not)

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetwine View Post
                              Hi everyone, so I after introduced myself coming with same problem, no visible smoke at all, but the smell is terrifying all around the car, and when on idle through the fan inside the car(if the fan is on). Got my kids sick couple of time, think because of this matter, because is really much stronger smell than I noticed around other diesel cars. Revs are dancing same, up and down slightly when turning on the engine, just when is colder outside only.

So have booked for tomorrow though AA warranty, hope they will find out and sort it, otherwise this issue is annoying and danger...

Otherwise pulls like crazy, nothing else wrong, keep the motorway steady and comfy... So will see tomorrow how it goes.

Will keep you updated, guys... Maybe someone else will have same issue( hope not)
                              did you fix it ? I have the same problem

Comment

Working...
                              X