Power loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power loss

Hi, I have a 2014 insignia VX line. For a few weeks now I've noticed a temporary loss of power, just a few moments then it picks up again. I also realised at that time it had been about 8 months since my last "cleaning exhaust filter, must continue to drive" message, this came up today, kept dropping off screen, and every time it dropped off the power dropped also.. then regained again. Drove for 40 minutes to this message dropping and popping up several times, gave up and came home for wine. Was worried my turbo was dying with loss of power but thinking now that's not it, hopefully... any suggestions? Thanks in advance

hi and weclome

we always like when new members join our forum.
    would you care to visit this section of the forum...………….

and introduce yourself properly to everyone.

Tell us a bit about yourself and maybe share a pic or 2 of your car.

Thanks...………...much appreciated.

Comment

Moved to correct section.

Comment

Thanks, appreciate the welcome :-)

Comment

Sounds like your diesel particulate filter is near full and needs to regenerate.

Comment

Sounds like not first time either. Continue driving is like the last chance saloon, it has to regen or expect serious issues.
            This message only pops up of the routine regens have failed.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
            Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

It popped up first month I got her, then again about 6 months later, then nothing till noq, probably a year since last time. But wont go away. On the wine now bur may go a long drive tomorrow, on the open road tonight for 45 mins but bem losing power momentarily coming out of corners for a few weeks now

Comment

Hello nickyhud.
                Ok this is probably going to sound a bit confusing
                But first off do this
                Check oil level on dip stick from cold , if higher than maximum and a slight smell of diesel then change oil and filter toot sweet .
                ( regular oil and filter changes are a must with thease and any diesel car )
                Clean MAF and map with electrical contact cleaner.
                MAF spray the cleaner through the gauze
                Map spray cleaner on the sensor probe and clean sensor with a cotton wall bud ( don't prod or poke it )!
                If you have a good quality code reader, then check for any historical or pending or present codes write them down .
                Clear codes .and take for a run
                Keep revs above 1500 rpm ( lower gears )
                And find a straight road ( dual carriageway)
                How long you drive it for to try and passively regenerate the DPF depends on the level of saturation .
                Anything above 80 % saturation is going to take time .
                I've known some have to drive for an hour and a half .
                Have you been using it a lot during lock down ?
                Do you do a lot of short trips ( i.e. Stop start ?)
                As with the design and the way the DPF works
                The DPF collects soot which is a by product of the combustion process
                And stores it ,
                There's a sensor called a differential pressure sensor
                Which measures the pressure difference across the DPF
                Should be about 0.5 bar drop across the sensor
                (1.0 bar inlet 0.5 outlet )
                When inlet pressure rises ( i.e. Back pressure)
                And outlet pressure decreases to a pre determined level set by the ECU
                The Differential pressure sensor will send a signal to the ECU to perform a regen
                It advances the timing and starts injecting more diesel , thus raising the exhaust temperature
                The above conditions will only perform a regen if certain conditions are met
                1) engine temperature above 65 degrees Celsius
                2) engine revolution above 750 rpm
                3) air flow measured by map and MAF
                Then it will perform a regen ( incineration)
                This in therory should be a seamless process ( you won't feel much difference)
                Apart from increased MPG
                And your distance to empty going down and a possible acrid smell .
                If interrupted then any unburnt diesel is washed back down through the cylinder walls into the sump
                Too many regens interrupted then oil level rises above max .
                Too much oil in sump can find its way through the intake side through pressure and cause
                A condition called diesel run away ( engine will feed on the extra oil and burn and raise revs to 6000 +++
                Till such time as it has no more oil to feed or burn.by that time the engine is toast .
                Your car can sometimes regenerate at idle whitest parked !
                Sorry for the long winded essay
                And there will probably be peeps telling me to blow it out my exhaust.
                Hay ho !i just smile and carry on, and keep my thaught to my self .
                Do simples first .
                10-4 rubber duck!

.K.M.P.C.U
                YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                  Hello nickyhud.
                  Ok this is probably going to sound a bit confusing
                  But first off do this
                  Check oil level on dip stick from cold , if higher than maximum and a slight smell of diesel then change oil and filter toot sweet .
                  ( regular oil and filter changes are a must with thease and any diesel car )
                  Clean MAF and map with electrical contact cleaner.
                  MAF spray the cleaner through the gauze
                  Map spray cleaner on the sensor probe and clean sensor with a cotton wall bud ( don't prod or poke it )!
                  If you have a good quality code reader, then check for any historical or pending or present codes write them down .
                  Clear codes .and take for a run
                  Keep revs above 1500 rpm ( lower gears )
                  And find a straight road ( dual carriageway)
                  How long you drive it for to try and passively regenerate the DPF depends on the level of saturation .
                  Anything above 80 % saturation is going to take time .
                  I've known some have to drive for an hour and a half .
                  Have you been using it a lot during lock down ?
                  Do you do a lot of short trips ( i.e. Stop start ?)
                  As with the design and the way the DPF works
                  The DPF collects soot which is a by product of the combustion process
                  And stores it ,
                  There's a sensor called a differential pressure sensor
                  Which measures the pressure difference across the DPF
                  Should be about 0.5 bar drop across the sensor
                  (1.0 bar inlet 0.5 outlet )
                  When inlet pressure rises ( i.e. Back pressure)
                  And outlet pressure decreases to a pre determined level set by the ECU
                  The Differential pressure sensor will send a signal to the ECU to perform a regen
                  It advances the timing and starts injecting more diesel , thus raising the exhaust temperature
                  The above conditions will only perform a regen if certain conditions are met
                  1) engine temperature above 65 degrees Celsius
                  2) engine revolution above 750 rpm
                  3) air flow measured by map and MAF
                  Then it will perform a regen ( incineration)
                  This in therory should be a seamless process ( you won't feel much difference)
                  Apart from increased MPG
                  And your distance to empty going down and a possible acrid smell .
                  If interrupted then any unburnt diesel is washed back down through the cylinder walls into the sump
                  Too many regens interrupted then oil level rises above max .
                  Too much oil in sump can find its way through the intake side through pressure and cause
                  A condition called diesel run away ( engine will feed on the extra oil and burn and raise revs to 6000 +++
                  Till such time as it has no more oil to feed or burn.by that time the engine is toast .
                  Your car can sometimes regenerate at idle whitest parked !
                  Sorry for the long winded essay
                  And there will probably be peeps telling me to blow it out my exhaust.
                  Hay ho !i just smile and carry on, and keep my thaught to my self .
                  Do simples first .
                  10-4 rubber duck!
                  Cracking write up mate.
                  Well done and thanks.
                  I'm sure this will help the OP

Comment

Wow, thanks appreciate this, going for a long spin today. Will update later. Thank you!

Comment

Mystery solved... had a split pipe!! Air escaping when I'm accelerating then gets too much and completely opens hence the "power loss" very easy fix back to full power... sweet as a nut! Thanks for all suggestions, can now enjoy this wee forum with nothing to worry about �� ��

Comment

Working...
                      X