Changing Xenon Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Xenon Bulbs

Firstly, before I change a Xenon headlight bulb on my 12-reg Insignia Elite (D1S 35watt), is it normal for both dip and main beams to fail at once in the same bulb?
    Secondly, I have a simple question about the job. The Haynes manual states that I must first disconnect the battery (ok, no probs), then disconnect the main wiring connector from the headlight unit, then after removing the cover disconnect the wiring connector (presumably from the starter/bulb unit itself?) and turn the bulb assembly anti-clockwise to remove it. Is it necessary to disconnect the main wiring plug as well as the battery? I have tried pulling as hard as I dare on the wiring plug, but it’s not parting. Is there a knack to releasing this plug?

Thanks in advance!
    Barry.

the dip and main beam in your lights use the same bulb,the battery,and headlight plug disconnect is a bit overkill imo,just change it with lights off
    Last edited by exclusiv.; 07-07-2020, 01:03 PM.
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

If you want to disconnect power then the headlight plug should be sufficient. To remove it place a short flat blade screw driver under the top of the red plastic clip, turn the screw driver and the clip should raise a little, now it can be raised and this eases the plug off the headlight. To refit line the grooves up in the connecter with the knobbly bit on the headlight plug and push the red clip down, this will pull and lock the lead back in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulleteer View Post
        Firstly, before I change a Xenon headlight bulb on my 12-reg Insignia Elite (D1S 35watt), is it normal for both dip and main beams to fail at once in the same bulb?
        Secondly, I have a simple question about the job. The Haynes manual states that I must first disconnect the battery (ok, no probs), then disconnect the main wiring connector from the headlight unit, then after removing the cover disconnect the wiring connector (presumably from the starter/bulb unit itself?) and turn the bulb assembly anti-clockwise to remove it. Is it necessary to disconnect the main wiring plug as well as the battery? I have tried pulling as hard as I dare on the wiring plug, but it’s not parting. Is there a knack to releasing this plug?

Thanks in advance!
        Barry.
        As youve been a member for some time and never introduced yourself.............

would you please visit this section of the forum...………….

and introduce yourself properly to everyone.

Tell us a bit about yourself and maybe share a pic or 2 of your car.

Thanks...………...much appreciated.

Comment

Thank you both, for your helpful replies.
          Cheers!
          Barry.

Comment

Working...
          X