Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ecoflex 2.0 CDTI 160bhp to chip or not to chip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecoflex 2.0 CDTI 160bhp to chip or not to chip?

Personal opinion?

Always declare mods to your insurer. If they then decline to cover you, you can at least shop around.

Nothing worse than having an incident and finding they wont pay out. Could also land you in bother with the police too.

If you are going to tune it, don't skimp on the oil. Whatever you use should be a full synthetic meeting the Dexos 2 specification.

No harm in using a local garage to keep labour costs down. As long as they are reputable, and will use genuine parts.

Again, if you are going to tune it, be wary of budget tyres. Some are ok, but I'd stay away from any names that nobody has heard of.

I have no experience of remapping/chipping etc, having never done it on a car.

I would say a properly tuned remap is probably the best/1st choice. However, if any dealer software updates are installed, the remap may be over-written and would have to be re-installed.

Later tricore ECU's are difficult to do too. Some have gone for add-on tuning boxes for this reason. There's plenty of debate on the forum on this topic.

Plenty of opportunity for other mods like 20" wheels, lowering springs and vx-line/vxr body work.

Spend it wisely!
    Elite ST 2.0i Auto. Power Red With All The Toys

Originally posted by DeaniFLHT View Post
    Personal opinion?

Always declare mods to your insurer. If they then decline to cover you, you can at least shop around.

Nothing worse than having an incident and finding they wont pay out. Could also land you in bother with the police too.

If you are going to tune it, don't skimp on the oil. Whatever you use should be a full synthetic meeting the Dexos 2 specification.

No harm in using a local garage to keep labour costs down. As long as they are reputable, and will use genuine parts.

Again, if you are going to tune it, be wary of budget tyres. Some are ok, but I'd stay away from any names that nobody has heard of.

I have no experience of remapping/chipping etc, having never done it on a car.

I would say a properly tuned remap is probably the best/1st choice. However, if any dealer software updates are installed, the remap may be over-written and would have to be re-installed.

Later tricore ECU's are difficult to do too. Some have gone for add-on tuning boxes for this reason. There's plenty of debate on the forum on this topic.

Plenty of opportunity for other mods like 20" wheels, lowering springs and vx-line/vxr body work.

Spend it wisely!
    I am chipping mine after Xmas, my friend has an astra with the same engine as my siggy, 2.0 cdti ecoflex, and the chip works amazingly well with his, and he can just turn it off for a service then stick it back on. So far he's gone from 40mpg to 46mpg with the same driving habits. I've driven it myself and the difference in power is unbelievable. He's had his fitted for nearly 2 years now and the company that provides the chip gave him a 2 year engine warranty. I've bought the same for mine and I can wait!
    2011 2.0 cdti ecoflex excnav
    honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

Thought I'd add, it seems the older generation will always argue remap over chip, probably based on the years of terrible chips they would have seen. But I think if you find the right company that really knows what they are doing, a chip is a safe option. I've bought mine from racechip.de , they make engine specific chips and spend from a few weeks to a year tuning them comparing results with a Dyno before releasing them, and they focus on safety
      honeycomb grill, squinty eyes, custom lettering, honeycomb custom fog grills, custom lower centre grill, full black back tints, chrome door knobs, rear wiper removed, custom back badge, custom DRLs, custom diffuser, custom wing, stage 1 remap, pipercross air kit, 210bhp 440nm torque, more on the way

Comment

I run the dtuk tuning box and pedal box with a k and n panel filter. I’m happy with it especially the pedal box that really transforms the car

Comment

Hey mate. Wondering how the chip is? I was considering buying one from racechip.uk as they seem reliable and decently priced. Would you still say chips are better than remaps?

Comment

Remap is specifically designed for that car..
            It's the only way to ensure a safe and reliable engine.
            Generic maps or chip as others call them are set up for that car it was designed for and can largely be applied to other cars.
            Mapping is the only way to get an accurate bhp quote, anyone with a chip tuning box etc is dreaming about quoted figures.

Fact..
            If anyone can prove there claimed bhp via a Dyno of there vehicle I'd happily eat my own sh!t

Comment

Some people aren't happy with Racechip.de, some even report engine damage.

They also claim the 160 hp engine gains 31 hp and the 163 hp engine gains 32 hp. It's the same engine! Custom software, no way!

Comment

I'm considering a remap this year - any recommendations in the North East area? Also, ball-park price?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleD View Post
                  I'm considering a remap this year - any recommendations in the North East area? Also, ball-park price?
                  Where in North East??

Comment

I'm 10 miles north of Newcastle in Northumberland.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleD View Post
                      I'm 10 miles north of Newcastle in Northumberland.
                      exclusiv.

Comment

anywhere,except Durham remaps.....theres one in Dunston,near metro centre gets good reviews ,,cant remember name
                        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

It is interesting material, as well the tuning boxes and the remap options.
                          I do have some interest in it myself but for me, first to do the gearbox swap from M32 to F40 for my 130 horse CDTI Insignia.
                          Most interesting test I have seen on youtube was from Darkside Development Tuners who ordered some tuning boxes and had them tested with use of their own equipment with a not so surprising outcome.
                          Main thing to keep in mind, if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is to good to be true, goes certainly for the tuning boxes.
                          Here is the link to see the tuning box test.

So we get asked all the time about "XX Tuning box makes X power so why does a custom tune make the same? or less? or only a tiny bit more?" so we decided to ...

Comment

I think I've seen that video on here before .
                            my personal opinion is
                            a tuning box should not be seen as "one size fits all " sort of thing .
                            if thease boxes are cheaper than a remap then you can see why there is a place in the market for thease .
                            and possibly why people go for them
                            but and I think Jakxta fitted one , but as time unfolded it caused a possible issue .
                            thease have components inside that "trick " the ECU into thinking the flue trim is too lean ,so injects more fuel to compensate ( over fueling )
                            what can happen is with the extra fuel ,you have a situation of in complete combustion process
                            which if you understand any combustion process it will lead to a build up of carbon
                            soot deposits ,
                            which if your car is fitted with a DPF can cause the saturation level to rise dramatically
                            in the end causing DPF problems .
                            i remember on the forum I work on someone fitted an early version
                            all seemed ok for 5 days then the DPF soot content went through the roof .
                            A professional re-mapper will adjust boost levels ,fuel trim levels to a safe working condition for your particular car .
                            not a generic version of your car ,
                            and will keep the map within the safe limits .
                            Its horses for courses .
                            10-4 rubber tuning box

.K.M.P.C.U
                            YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I can vouch to say tuning boxes are not worth it. Even if they cost £150 and claim to be for your exact model. I bought mine from Racechip and I got about 6 months of really enjoyable driving before it filled my dpf with soot. Once it happened the first time it happened again within a week! Steer clear!

Comment

Working...
                              X