Hard to check oil level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to check oil level

Yes. It is sometimes difficult to see the level. Crappy designed dipstick imho

If you are unsure about the oil level( hard to tell from pic., but looks overfilled) to be on safe side just do an oil change.(4.5l)

Comment

Check the oil level hot. Switch the engine off, remove the dipstick and wipe it clean with a clean rag. Leave it out, and wait for ten minutes for the sump level to stabilise.

After ten minutes, push the dipstick back in fully, pause briefly then pull it out again. You should then be able see the level fairly clearly.

If you are worried about dilution with diesel due to frequent or failed dpf regens, smell the oil on the rag, after wiping the dipstick. There will be a characteristic diesel fuel odour, if the oil is diluted.
      Elite ST 2.0i Auto. Power Red With All The Toys

Comment

Dean gave the advice that I was going to give. Clean the dipstick and then smell the rag, if it has failed to regen enough to increase the oil level with diesel you will be able to smell it.

I do find that there is residual oil higher up the dipstick but it isn't thick enough to be the level of oil so I reckon that's just wee bits of oil in the dipstick tube.

Comment

From my experience with my 1.8 petrol Elite, it's no different with the petrol engine, can't tell what the level is unless you do what DeaniFLHT suggests.

Comment

Working...
          X