Failed MOT - Broken Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed MOT - Broken Spring

Car failed its MOT today because of a broken OS rear spring.??It's a 2011 car with 33,000 miles. Anyone else had a spring fail after this sort of mileage? Seems a little premature to me !

Don't think they're that expensive, replace the pair
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Not just the siggy with this problem, we fit coil springs to various motors every day, modern light springs and fooked roads are not compatible. Mind you we had a 406 go bang just sitting in the workshop, it only came in for a tail lamp. Lucky the customer was there or he would never have believed it was not our fault
      sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've done bit of googling and found that the AA was called out to 21,000 coil spring failures last year so I'm not alone. General concensus is that the roads are crap and so are the springs on modern cars. They are thinner and hence lighter to save weight.

It's also 50/50 on whether to change both sides at once. Vauxhall have said it is not necessary for the rear springs although they would do both if I requested it !

At £94 for the spring and half hour labour I just had them do the one. Maybe I'll need the other side soon ! It was only the very end of the spring that was broken where it sits on the cup. To be honest it drives exactly the same as before. I wouldn't have known it was broken if it hadn't been for the MOT.

Comment

Davell, on 13 June 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:
          I've done bit of googling and found that the AA was called out to 21,000 coil spring failures last year
          Bet a fair proportion of these came from up here, Roads are shocking.
          sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

Had it on my old vectra at about 40k and on my last car both fronts failed at 26k. Corsa was done under warranty and the vectra I used as justification to her indoors for a set of eibachs all round. Well if one can go......

As it happens my mate owns my old vectra and it's still on the set of eibachs and now sitting at 137k on the clock so a good investment.

Comment

Working...
            X