Boot won't open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot won't open

Just had my tailgate / boot on the ST fail to release when operating the switch. Phone the stealers, they told me my car had the TSB action, recall and switch replaced Nov 2011, owned it since Oct 11' & don't remember them mentioning a tailgate release switch change.

Anyway they showed me how to manually open it, inside, just where the warning triangle & 1st aid kit would be located, there is a round plastic cap, remove it, inside you can see a small shiny metal lever, with a round hole about 4-5mm dia, put a screwdriver into the edge of the hole and push the lever to rear of the car, and catch releases.

New switch being ordered, hope to have it changed again as it has only been in just over a year.

Just had my tailgate / boot on the ST fail to release when operating the switch. Phone the stealers, they told me my car had the TSB action, recall and switch replaced Nov 2011, owned it since Oct 11' & don't remember them mentioning a tailgate release switch change.

Anyway they showed me how to manually open it, inside, just where the warning triangle & 1st aid kit would be located, there is a round plastic cap, remove it, inside you can see a small shiny metal lever, with a round hole about 4-5mm dia, put a screwdriver into the edge of the hole and push the lever to rear of the car, and catch releases.

New switch being ordered, hope to have it changed again as it has only been in just over a year.

Comment

It appears these switches suffer from moisture ingress, commonly known as a crap seal! I could hear a squidy sound when i pressed the rubber cover, possible the switch can be cleaned, but i'll see what the stealers offer up, Thurlby have been reasonable in the past.

Comment

Dealers have been in touch, ?84+ the obligatory, for part, ?125+vat fitted.

Found this page, ?27

http://www.vauxhallw...number=13178155

Which indicates it is the same as the insignia part no: 5133574, push button lock with microswitch.

Anyone changed one yet? Looking to find some guidance, thanks

Comment

Going to remove it tomorrow to check with image, will verify with Thurlby, will update after.

Has anyone seen a walk through guide on how to remove the switch?

Comment

Just sent an email to vauxhall customer services about this issue, and whilst investigating found this article / website posted on 6th Feb 2013, solution 2's comment is worthy of note!

http://www.autoinsid...p?problem=14397

Will still have a look at the switch this morning

Comment

Hi all,

Just finished removing the switch.

the part required is: 13295821 - Switch as advised by Vauxhall, this is the touchpad switch, two number plate lights, and the connector. ?86 parts only.

I removed mine, i post a guide in a while. The long and short is, bit tricky to gain access, but with the aid of my wife's hairdryer and some silcon sealant, the switch now functions, is dry and sealed.

failrly simple to reassemble.

there is the possibility that the switch could be removed externally without the need from the inside, 4 very small latches secure it in position, there is plenty of cable inside on the small, yet very expensive harness, so if you take the GF / wifey's hair dryer outside, it could

probably be done in situ. post edit: just tried, not possibly, more likely to break the lugs.

Guide @

http://www.insignia-...owtopic=7310=

Comment

dave16v, on 15 February 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:
                is that defo the tailgate switch needed am just away to order

Dave, touchpad is not the part shown above. GM hold it seperatley, but appear not to make it available, so we loyal customers splash some dosh on bits not needed, is it time for Watchdog?

Comment

Dave, I guess that the TSB is for either, the touchpad is the same as on wifey's astra. if it looks like the switch, then you will suffer the same problem, they are just very poorly sealed. Was thinking about putting another bead of sealant under the glass and chrome strip, as that looks like it ingresses there as well.

Comment

Had a call from Thurlby, and Vx customer care have agreed to change the boot switch under warranty, (or good will) just need to book it in now! />

Comment

ST has now been in for the switch replacement, at Thurlby. Vx authorised the whole loom change, the Vx tech wasn't too impressed, it only took him 40mins though. The boot now opens as and when requested. The tech said he'd done loads of these, and running a bead of sealant between the glass and chrome strip would help prevent water ingress. Guess i'll be doing that this weekend!

Comment

I doubt it, the switch is??known problem, sounds like the dealer is giving you a line. Mine was iut of warranty, and they still changed it, so they must still know it's a problem. Show them the thread

Comment

The module is also in the tailgate? If that is the case, then it is highly likely that the module has failed due to moisture ingress, most probably though the gap between the glass and the body work. It has been recommended to put a bead of silicone sealant in the gap to prevent the ingress.

Comment

It will be the switch itself, not a fuse. Replacement part is about ?7 and easy to fit yourself if you've got a soldering iron and follow the how-to elsewhere on the forum. Otherwise, tell the dealer to fit it without doing diagnostics and don't be conned into buying a whole new unit for upwards of ?70 from memory.

Comment

This is the part you need: http://m.ebay.co.uk/...5813?nav=SEARCH and here is the how to: http://www.insignia-...434#entry218275

Comment

Working...
                              X