How to fit working rear tailgate lights to a facelift Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fit working rear tailgate lights to a facelift Insignia

Before I begin. This guide is based on Burgerking1972s initial completion of this mod so a big thank you to him for starting the ball rolling.

What you will need.

Two working tailgate lights, Part numbers, 39024220 for the left hand side and 39024221 for the right hand side. The price for the pair at
    the time of writing this is £87.36 inc VAT. (Have since gone up to £106 for the pair)

Approximately 5 metres of 2 core cable, Connectors (Crimps and bullet crimps were used in this instance) and electrical tape.

Tools required

7mm socket

8mm socket

Flat blade screwdriver

Trim removal tools or other plastic makeshift tool like an old credit card.

The route of the cables in this how to will go like this,

1. Remove the securing nut from the inner tailgate handle using a 7mm socket and remove the plastic latching cover. Then working around the edges, pull
    the carpeted cover off. The edges are secured with clips but with a bit of a yank, they pop out no problem

2. Using an 8mm socket, remove the nut on the LH light, the RH light and the 2 outer nuts securing each side of the chrome trim. Then pull the chrome
    trim out a little to enable the removal of the lights.

3. Pull out the left and right rubber hoses at the top of the tailgate where the cables go through. They're in pretty tight but should give with a little
    pressure to the side with a flat bladed screwdriver as you pull down. Then pull away the plastic side trims along the LH and RH sides of
    the window (again, just yank and the clips come out).

4. Pull away the trim from the rear pillars on the passenger side and drivers side to enable the headlining to be pulled down a little. There is a rectangle
    clip holding the trim in place. Remove it by pulling it all the way out.

5. Cut off the connectors on the lights and replace them with bullet crimps (or connectors of your choice) and refit the lights. (make sure you can still
    see the wires. Purple (positive) and Black (negative).

6. Feed your cables through holes on either side of the window and out through the holes where you pulled the hoses from. Then attach each one to a
    piece of wire coat hanger and thread it through the hose and into the headlining.

Now feed the left and right cables through the plastic trims on the rear pillars and into the boot. Pull back the side carpets in the boot to gain access to
    the cables.

7. Locate the Grey/Brown cable (positive) and the black cable (negative) inside the boot near the driver's side (RHS) rear light (It's the loom of cable
    which go through a grommet to the rear light). You may need to pull away some of the black covering to access them. (ignore the blue bullet crimp...it's
    connecting my rear parking sensor. ) Repeat for the passenger side (LHS) this time locate the Brown/Purple (positive) and Black (negative).

Now splice into them with crimps connecting RHS Red to Grey/Brown (positive) and Black to Black (negative). LHS Red to Brown/Purple (positive)
    and Black to Black (negative).

8. At the other end of your cables, secure them along the RH side and LH side of the window, crimp female bullet crimps to the ends and attach them to
    the lights. (Red to Purple (positive) and Black to Black (negative).

9. (Optional) Tape up all connections with electrical tape. (I did this for added security against any connectors coming free (though bullet crimps connect
    pretty damn tight) and also to help against chafing). Secure any loose cable and refit all trim.

10. Turn on your new lights and enjoy!
    Last edited by marko301; 20-07-2017, 10:56 PM.
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Excellent how to Marco,I'm sure you and burgerking have set the ball rolling on this
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Nice write up thanks

Comment

I say again well done,them pictures and the little wiring drawing of the car are great looks just like my red insignia from the back minus the SRI badge I have on the boot .
        Last edited by marko301; 12-08-2016, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Nice write up. Surprised no one tried to wire it up the way you done.??See many threads where people have try to get it work but failed. I would have done the same if I had a fl cut the connectors then tap it in to the tail gate rear lights.

Comment

Great how to. I'm sure this will give many others the confidence to do this.

Comment

Thanks, I hope it helps people who want to tackle it. It just takes a bit of common sense really. The main thing is knowing what parts of the trim are safe to pull at. The rear pillar is an odd clip.

?sriray, on 16 August 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:
              Nice write up. Surprised no one tried to wire it up the way you done.??See many threads where people have try to get it work but failed. I would have done the same if I had a fl cut the connectors then tap it in to the tail gate rear lights.

I was put off by a post somewhere on the forum by somebody who was told by the dealers they'd tried to get them working on a car but it was throwing up an error. We now know the dealers were telling pokies.
              2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Nice write up Marko, thanks.

I did this mod this morning and all went well. I kept my cabling inside the boot though instead of taking it from the actual light cluster. The cables can be accessed just inside the boot, behind the cluster and its the black and grey/brown that need to be connected to.

Also, it's a bit easier to get the cables through the rubber hose if you disconnect both ends first, flat blade screwdriver on the side of the fixing and gentle pressure releases them. I managed to get my cable through without a coat hanger that way.

Looks much better now

Comment

Great write up. Topic pinned.

Comment

cmor, on 16 August 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:
                    The cables can be accessed just inside the boot, behind the cluster and its the black and grey/brown that need to be connected to.

That's good to know. That way it keeps the back of the light tidy too.

Comment

I revisited this mod today following cmor's advise and made the connection to the rear light loom inside the boot rather than going through the grommet to the rear of the light. I've edited the how 2 to include the change.

Comment

Chers marko my to do list is getting longer and longer with all these mods i have planned. must say looks alot nicer using the whole boot lights. looks like it should have been that way from the start.

Comment

by the way is there any mod for brighter reversing lights as the wife keeps complaining there not as bright as the vectra used to be

Comment

I have these in mine http://m.ebay.co.uk/...776?_mwBanner=1

You can get them cheaper but these are really bright.

Here's my car half way through fitting them....spot the difference.

Comment

Those bulbs make a massive difference will be ordering some tomorrow as the standard one are shocking in comparison. And will be doing the rear lights aswell as they look so much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X