Anybody had any success stories for improving MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alpha2002, on 28 March 2016 - 10:42 PM, said:
    I've had my Insignia for six months and have covered 12,000 miles so far.??I'm pretty disappointed with MPG.??I have averaged 46 the whole time (ranging from 41-49), measured using an app where i enter mileage/litres/cost etc every fill.??

I'd agree the dash MPG is overly optimistic it has almost always read between 48-52.

The car had a full service before I bought it and i chuck redex in every month or two.?? Anyone any ideas how to improve this???I've toyed with a tuning box or remap (Scotland if anyone has any recommendations)

Speak to Stan at Ecotune. Best tuner in Scotland IMO. He done mine over a year ago & it returns better economy on the rare occasion that I actually drive it for economy (I like being in boost ).

Comment

2014 insignia 2.0 bi-turbo averaging 55mpg on motorway runs and 39mpg toodling around town.

Comment

I have a 2010 Sri CDTi auto that seemed a little thirsty. Heard good things about BG244 additive so thought I'd give it a go and what can I say??? It works!!
        My MPG has gone from 41.9 to 50.2 combined. Happy man

Comment

Originally posted by scoobs3252 View Post
          I have a 2010 Sri CDTi auto that seemed a little thirsty. Heard good things about BG244 additive so thought I'd give it a go and what can I say??? It works!!
          My MPG has gone from 41.9 to 50.2 combined. Happy man
          Whats BG244? Where can you get it from?

Comment

Originally posted by Plym Ian View Post
            Some on Ebay.
            Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
            Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

BG244 is a fuel additive that cleans injectors, DPF, combustion chamber etc. Around £20 a tin but it treats 60 litres and only needed every 6 months / 10,000 miles [emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by scoobs3252 View Post
                BG244 is a fuel additive that cleans injectors, DPF, combustion chamber etc. Around £20 a tin but it treats 60 litres and only needed every 6 months / 10,000 miles [emoji106]
                And it works? Not snake oil like most stuff

Comment

And it works? Not snake oil like most stuff
                  Just put some in the wife's Vectra C and seen a similar improvemnt [emoji106]

Comment

I've seen a 10% improvement in mpg since the many months of dark, cold, wet weather went away. I haven't used any fuel additives nor made any changes.

Comment

My daily commute is Plymouth to Exeter. I tend to drive between 65-70 and a tank will last around 5 days.

Average fuel consumption is 36-37mpg according to the dash.

Car is on over 100k now and serviced regularly. Would a re-map help?

I’m considering changing the car to something a little lighter on fuel and quieter in the cabin.

I’ve never known a car be let in so much road noise as the insignia.

Comment

Keep the car if it owes you nothing, far better the Devil you know
                        check for any missing Grommets etc under the bonnet, and invest
                        in a heavier under bonnet felt kit, mine is noisy outside of car when
                        cold, inside it is as quite as my previous Ford Focus 1.5 TDCI 120

What kind of tyres you got on some have high Db ratings mine are 72Db rated
                        18" and quite quiet unless running over housebricks..

Originally posted by Mcbane14 View Post
                        My daily commute is Plymouth to Exeter. I tend to drive between 65-70 and a tank will last around 5 days.

Average fuel consumption is 36-37mpg according to the dash.

Car is on over 100k now and serviced regularly. Would a re-map help?

I’m considering changing the car to something a little lighter on fuel and quieter in the cabin.

I’ve never known a car be let in so much road noise as the insignia.

Comment

Anybody had any success stories for improving MPG

I can accept the engine noise, its the road noise that comes in when driving.

Reminds of a van with no form of panelling at the back, it’s that noisy.

I’ve never known a car to let in so much noise before or suffer such poor fuel economy.

I’m at a loss on what to do to improve both. Noise sounds like it comes from the back. How this won an award is beyond me!

Any tips would be appreciated.

Comment

I would look into tyres first if there was a possibility to reduce road noise by changing them. For example I had studded tyres (winter tyres) on my BMW 3 series, that were a LOT quieter than regular summer tyres. And usually it's the other way around! So tyres can make a big difference from my experience, same sized tyres from different manufacturers can have significant differences regarding noise amount and quality.

But if there is something really wrong with car's sound insulation, then even the most quiet tyres won't help, I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by karsta View Post
                              I would look into tyres first if there was a possibility to reduce road noise by changing them. For example I had studded tyres (winter tyres) on my BMW 3 series, that were a LOT quieter than regular summer tyres. And usually it's the other way around! So tyres can make a big difference from my experience, same sized tyres from different manufacturers can have significant differences regarding noise amount and quality.

But if there is something really wrong with car's sound insulation, then even the most quiet tyres won't help, I'm afraid.
                              Thanks,

I’m going to look into replacing all 4 tyres soon. I’ve seen above people insulating the spare tyre well.

Does that make any difference? What about the metal under the boot carpet cover and rear back seats, would insulating that improve things?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcbane14 View Post
                                Thanks,

I’m going to look into replacing all 4 tyres soon. I’ve seen above people insulating the spare tyre well.

Does that make any difference? What about the metal under the boot carpet cover and rear back seats, would insulating that improve things?
                                Unfortunately I don't have any experience on post-insulation, perhaps someone else could share their experiences on that.

I would probably go and do some empirical testing just by throwing some sound insulating material to different areas in the back without actually installing/attaching it first. If a decibel meter and ears say that it has some positive effects, then I would attach the insulation material properly in it's place. But this is just me, I'd make sure first that it has the desired effect before doing anything non-reversible. There might be many areas in the car where you would have to setup insulations to get overall good results.

Comment

Working...
                                X