I have a noise (whispy type)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a noise (whispy type)

works fine where it is, suggest Andy puts his eyefone in a large vat of conc. sulphuric acid along with all the other apple thingies on the planet - nothing like getting to the core of the problem...................

Can't help with the noise, air leak somewhere?

works fine where it is, suggest Andy puts his eyefone in a large vat of conc. sulphuric acid along with all the other apple thingies on the planet - nothing like getting to the core of the problem...................

Can't help with the noise, air leak somewhere?

Comment

sounds like mine when i start it up for first 5 mins

Comment

sounds like mine when i start it up for first 5 mins

Comment

i told dealers about it last time it was in and he said he would clean timing belt with wd40 but it didnt make much difference

Comment

i told dealers about it last time it was in and he said he would clean timing belt with wd40 but it didnt make much difference

Comment

Its the auxiliary drive belt (drives the alternator, air con, vacuum pump, power steering).

The belt tends to creep a bit on the pulleys when cold, as the rubber is less elastic. Noise should go away after few minutes.

Nothing to worry about. Would worry a bit if it makes a loud squealing sound.

Petrol engines may also exhibit this noise.

Kind of worried that the dealer suggested WD40 on the timing belt. Mildly soapy water is then only thing that should be used.

WD40 will shorten its life considerably, and if it slips or fails it could result in a trashed engine.
              Elite ST 2.0i Auto. Power Red With All The Toys

Comment

Its the auxiliary drive belt (drives the alternator, air con, vacuum pump, power steering).

The belt tends to creep a bit on the pulleys when cold, as the rubber is less elastic. Noise should go away after few minutes.

Nothing to worry about. Would worry a bit if it makes a loud squealing sound.

Petrol engines may also exhibit this noise.

Kind of worried that the dealer suggested WD40 on the timing belt. Mildly soapy water is then only thing that should be used.

WD40 will shorten its life considerably, and if it slips or fails it could result in a trashed engine.

Comment

typical dealers he must be a new teck as he said he does it to his own car all the time

Comment

typical dealers he must be a new teck as he said he does it to his own car all the time

Comment

andy-g, on 30 November 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

/>??Its true!

I had an Astra 1.8 that used to do it.

Comment

andy-g, on 30 November 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

/>??Its true!

I had an Astra 1.8 that used to do it.

Comment

Thyjones, on 30 November 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:
                          Thanks for that mate, any suggestions if there is anything that can be done/better belt etc?

Personally, I would live with the noise. It can't be that noticeable from inside the car, unless you have a window open.

All friction drive belts will creep to some extent. They are pretty generic, so I am not aware of any particular brands being better or worse.

If it is really annoying you, have a new belt fitted. There's no guarantee that a new belt might not whisper though.

Comment

Thyjones, on 30 November 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:
                            Thanks for that mate, any suggestions if there is anything that can be done/better belt etc?

Personally, I would live with the noise. It can't be that noticeable from inside the car, unless you have a window open.

All friction drive belts will creep to some extent. They are pretty generic, so I am not aware of any particular brands being better or worse.

If it is really annoying you, have a new belt fitted. There's no guarantee that a new belt might not whisper though.

Comment

martyn, on 01 December 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:
                              sounds like its the elecrto-pnumatic valve playing up.

There is a service bullitin for this: TSB 2860.

I thought that the valve issue made a sort of chattering sound, and came from front of the car? Isn't the valve mounted just behind the bonnet catch?

From the limited video in the recording, the sound seems to be coming more from behind the right front wheel. Certainly sounds like a belt rubbing to me.

As the resident forum tech. I bow to your greater experience. Either way, there is no harm in having it checked out.

See topic regarding electro-pneumatic valve http://www.insignia-...?showtopic=2266

Comment

Working...
                              X