Coolant leak register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant leak register

It was quite low so topped it up and the oil was low too so topped that up only done 6k since major service must be the bad weather.

60 plate 2.0 diesel 27000 miles

Mine seems to slowly leak, maybe dropping an inch over 2000 miles. Can't see any leaks and I've been told it's possibly the cap on the coolant as the seals are know to be occasionally dodgy in them. I'm not worried about it as it is so slow so nothing major going wrong.

Comment

I thought that at first but it's been the same for the last 16,000 miles.

Comment

You can get a EGR repair kit from the dealer, think they are around ?60 from memory.

Comment

Just tell them to use the repair kit - its about ?60 I think.

Comment

Another coolant leak here - car in stealers (non-VX, where I bought it) for an AFL fault, told them about the coolant and gave them a copy of the TSB and they have apparently fixed it - picking the car up tomorrow, so will check what they've done!

2009 2.0 CDTI (160) Elite Nav 50k miles LX09HGZ

Comment

2010 CDTi 160 coolant leak from EGR cooler after 46k miles, I had covered maybe 3k miles when it happened. Cost me ?32.40 for the part from Arnold Clark & ?50 for my own mechanic to fit & supply coolant top up

Comment

Mine is an odd one, it stinks of coolant when it's hot, but has no sign of any leak, I've never had the warning light on, my garage have pressure tested it and it doesnt drop any pressure.

Comment

It was the white smoke that gave it away to me, popped the bonnet, mechanic told me to give the car a wee rev and there was a fine stream of coolant sprayed out of a hairline crack & landed on the turbo hence the white smoke! Sorted within an hour

Comment

Update on post #76:

Leak has been found (at last!!) and attributed to a split seam on the bottom of the radiator! This is after replacing the EGR housing and the header tank cap (and nearly the complete header tank!), 3 full pressure tests - the last was over-pressurised and finally the leak showed up!

This is all after getting through about 15 litres of coolant over the past month or so!

The car is currently with VX awaiting a warranty inspector to see if it is covered, if not, will be around ?460...

Comment

MadOnVaux!, on 02 March 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:
                      Mine is an odd one, it stinks of coolant when it's hot, but has no sign of any leak, I've never had the warning light on, my garage have pressure tested it and it doesnt drop any pressure.

After a stronger smell of coolant yesterday, which i ignored as it's always smelled of coolant, it had the low coolant warning this morning while driving....i got to where i was going, popped the bonnet, coolant had dropped a quarter of the tank......had a look around, looks to be the EGR cooler housing as its very wet on it and underneath it.....looks like a repair kit will be on order.

Sorry if i've missed it in this thread, but is there an official repair kit from Vauxhall, and if so what is the part number please?

Comment

Yep it'll be fine to drive aslong as it's topped up, unless you're going on a long drive and depending on how much it's actually losing of course .

Comment

Cherrybomb, on 21 December 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:
                          Hi, silly question, I have a 160 diesel 11 reg elite and this week had the first 'low coolant' warning.......,it's dropped about an inch and I can see coolant on the undertray. I think it's coming out of a black housing on the front of the block next to the top of the dipstick, ie to the right of the turbo etc. What is this ? Is it the famous egr or thermostat housing ?

Please help me ! Could well do without the hassle and ? this time of year !! Andrew.

That'll be the infamous EGR cooler. VX sell a repair kit. I paid ?32.40 for mine from the main dealer local to me. It's a fidgety job but not difficult.

Comment

No I got my mechanic to do it. I did watch the job being done & you need to remove 5/6 bolts from the housing (you will lose the coolant from the header tank). Change the Cooler making sure the rubber seal is seated properly & then redo the bolts. It is quite fidgety getting the bolts out etc which is why I got him to do it (I'm a big guy so my arms & hands don't fit in the tighter space underneath where the cooler is). he only charged me ?50 as it isn't a difficult job to do.

Comment

Working...
                            X