ADVICE NEEDED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADVICE NEEDED

I think most tests have shown you may get an extra mile to the gallon but generally unless you have a high performance car you don't need high performance fuel.

Never had an issue with supermarket fuel, although I'm now using BP as it is nearer and cheaper (twice a week) then nearest supermarket.

Comment

I'm a bit of a weird one....

Always use local Asda fuel and Millers.

60k miles so far no issues, but minimum 80% motorway mileage normally.

Comment

i have used shell v power for about a year now and car has never run so good or so smoothe and slightly better mpg

anyone who says its a waste of time has either not tried it or hasnt used it for long enough

i am over the moon with the way my car has ran since useing v power and can highly reccomend it to all

Comment

2000rpm, on 02 November 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:
          I generally use branded (BP, Shell etc) and generally avoid supermarket.

The branded stuff will meet a high quality standard. The supermarket stuff will be whatever was cheapest at the time they bought it, ranging from stuff which barely made the grade to good stuff which they happened to pick up when there was an excess. The level of impurities (usually cheap stuff) will have an effect on post-DPF-regen ash residue gradually building up over time.

All fuel has to meet the British Standard. Branded stuff may have a different quantity of additives in it, although I've seen detailed communications from two supermarkets where they state their fuel contains the same additives as a branded fuel (IE it is a branded fuel).

Comment

When i use shell or any other premium fuel my car runs smoother and with having DPF removed a lot cleaner if i have to put any supermarket fuel in it runs like a bag of shite and a proper old oil burner chugging out black smoke so i know what is the better fuel.

Comment

It makes you wonder why supermarkets don't advertise the fact or publish who they get there fuel from. I use whatever station I am near,

Comment

I've used both supermarket and branded over the years and not noticed a difference. Though I've also seen branded (Shell and Texaco) trucks delivering at Morrisons in the past. Whether this is Shell et al getting rid of dregs I don't know. Knowing the big supermarkets, they probably buy from who is offering the best deal at that moment.
                2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

sparksri, on 03 November 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:
                  It makes you wonder why supermarkets don't advertise the fact or publish who they get there fuel from.

Common business sense. If you were Shell and selling fuel to a supermarket who sells to public at a lower cost then your own forecourts, you would be making sure the contract doesn't allow disclosure without severe financial penalty.

Comment

I think you've been misinformed,,,,F1 cars don't use aviation fuel
                    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Lance, on 03 November 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

Common business sense. If you were Shell and selling fuel to a supermarket who sells to public at a lower cost then your own forecourts, you would be making sure the contract doesn't allow disclosure without severe financial penalty.

True but surely rumours would still be stronger than what currently go around which is the stuff is just the dregs

Comment

The rumours about it being dregs are unsubstantiated. I've yet to see anyone whenever these discussions arise present proof of this.

The simple most commonly accepted thing is, I gather from looking around, that the base fuel from the refinery is identical for all retailers. The difference comes from the additives each retailer has added into the mix. Some supposedly add more and better ones (eg your premium fuels at BP/Shell etc), some add less or less effective ones (Eg non-premium fuel) and others add less still or none at all (eg Asda/Morrisons).

Comment

I generally use Esso or BP. But really that's only because they're the closest to me ignoring the Tesco chip fat pumps. Plus at Esso I get clubcard points for converting to Avios for my holiday car parking .

Comment

conno57, on 03 November 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:
                            When i use shell or any other premium fuel my car runs smoother and with having DPF removed a lot cleaner if i have to put any supermarket fuel in it runs like a bag of shite and a proper old oil burner chugging out black smoke so i know what is the better fuel.

hi conno57,i see you had your dpf removed,i know there are now a lot of garages doing this(one just down the road from me),but how do you get on at MOT time,i read somewhere recently that if a car was fitted with one it had to have it for the mot?.or it will fail. ????cheers sandy

Comment

When most people say they have had it removed, what they mean is they have had the internals gutted and the shell put back on the car. This is sufficient at present to get it through the MOT. It isn't legal, but that doesn't stop most people as at present only the physical presence is required, and the actual emissions aren't measured.

Comment

Working...
                              X