Tow bar electrics sports tourer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow bar electrics sports tourer

I've recently fitted a Westfalia detachable with dedicated electrics to my 63 plate ST. I did the job myself to save the ?170 labour cost of a Westfalia authorised fitter. IMO, if Vauxhall wanted to get shirty with me over a warranty claim involving the canbus/ecu/whatever then I'm stuffed. But I suppose you can claim off the towbar fitter if Vauxhall decide the problem is because of the electrics. Not really a relay/dedicated electrics answer, more a paid fitter/diy answer if you get what I mean?

I'd have to be honest and say no. The relay route is miles cheaper and does the same basic job of lighting lights. It obviously won't show any bulb errors on the dashboard though but that's a small price to pay I suppose. A TEB7AS relay will operate all your lights including fog and reversing. I just preferred the idea of the dedicated kit on my new car

Comment

Oh, and don't make the mistake of taking your feeds from the internal rear light cluster because these only power up when the tailgate is open. People have done it!

Comment

I fitted my Towbar and electric and went dedicated but only 7 pin ( has fog but not reverse ) there is a dedicated wiring kit for ?116 on eBay real easy to fit too

I would suggest a dedicated kit would have less affect warranty wise as if I remember correctly it is only two wires to cut and the rest is plugged in to the fuse board in the boot there are a couple of wires that need running up to the front fuse board ( behind the glove box ) and one wire across to the diagnostic plug

The dedicated system also cuts out the reverse sensors if you have them

Comment

Lff64, on 25 January 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:
          and one wire across to the diagnostic plug
          That sounds like the Right Connections kit? I don't know why they tell you to go the width of the dashboard to pick up the HighSpeedCan connection from the diagnostic plug. You can connect to it at the Rear Light Control Module in the boot! Everything for 13pin dedicated electrics is in the boot already.

Comment

got my detatchable fitted by witter,just to be on the safe side,have used them before with no problems at all.

Comment

HI JOE,
              I'm new to this forum, trying to resolve a wiring problem. I have a 2017 estate and not able to identify wiring to the right side indicator and fog light.

Having read that you had fitted electrics yourself I was hoping that you might be able to offer some advise. Having a major head-ache at present trying to complete wiring to the right side rear indicator and fog light ?.

The main wiring for lights to the left side were straight forward splicing into the harness located next to the rear fuse board, but have not traced wiring to the right side lights.

Removed right side light cluster and confirmed colour of wires for R/H Indicator (blue) and fog light (grey), but could not trace wires though loom to multi connector on left side next to rear fuse board. Might be a case of not seeing wood for the trees but I'm stuck ! thead

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
              Tom

Comment

Tow bar wiring problem

I'm new to this forum, trying to resolve a wiring problem. I have a 2017 estate and not able to identify wiring to the right side indicator and fog light.

Can you advise how to connect wiring to the right side rear indicator and fog light ?.
                The main wiring for lights to the left side were straight forward splicing into the harness located next to the rear fuse board, but have not traced wiring to the right side lights.

Removed right side light cluster and confirmed colour of wires for R/H Indicator (blue) and fog light (grey), but could not trace wires through loom to multi connector on left side next to rear fuse board. Might be a case of not seeing the wood for the trees but not able to make connections .....HELP ! thead

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

Welcome to the forum . I appreciate that it's your first post but please do not post multiple posts for the same point. Just ensure you post in the right section and you should get a response
                  Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by TMK-MARINE View Post

Can you advise how to connect wiring to the right side rear indicator and fog light ?.

Removed right side light cluster and confirmed colour of wires for R/H Indicator (blue) and fog light (grey), but could not trace wires through loom to multi connector on left side next to rear fuse board. Might be a case of not seeing the wood for the trees but not able to make connections .....HELP ! thead

Regards,
                    Tom
                    You need to pick the feed for them from the right side and feed new wiring across to where you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wullie View Post
                      You need to pick the feed for them from the right side and feed new wiring across to where you need it.
                      HI, thanks for getting back to me,...appreciated.
                      While I now understand the connection would be taken from the right side of the car, I could not trace the (blue) and (grey) wires from the light cluster that would exist the tail-gate.
                      Can you advise where exactly on the right side of car that the (blue) and (grey) wires would exist to enable access for a connection to be made ?.
                      I only saw a thin section of wiring loom on the right side viewed from the removable side panel, the wires were fully wrapped in bindings but my initial thought was the wiring led to audio speakers. Didn't want to start unwrapping sections of wiring loom that were not relevant.

Comment

HI, thanks for getting back to me with the words of guidance, ...appreciated. My system had froze during attempt to send message, then attempted again ...OOPS!.

If you do have any form of guidance in relation to my wiring problem, I would appreciate your help.

When removing the right side light cluster I did identify the wires for the indicator and fog lights but could not trace them to an exist point rom the tail gate to the nearest multi-connector. The wiring loom viewed though the side access panel on the right side of the car was very thin and was thought to be audio speaker connections.
                        Can you advise from exactly where on the right side of the car, a suitable connection could be made for operation of the right indicator and fog light ?.

Comment

There is a loom behind the panels on the driver side I think it's quite far up running just below the rear 1/4 light window.

Comment

HI,
                            Thanks for the info, ...appreciated.
                            Hopefully I'll get the time this week-end to finish off the wiring and be ready for the coming boating & caravan season.
                            I've worked on wiring systems on quite a number of cars and boats, but not quite experienced the somewhat crazy wiring system as found on the insignia.

As a courtesy I'll let you know how I got on.

Cheers !

Comment

TEB7AS relay issue

Hi all. New to the insignia owners forum but found this area after having issues with my towbar electrics. I have the TEB7AS relay fitted and have suddenly lost all signals to all the trailer lights (bike rack hung off towbar).
                              I have tested the bulbs by putting 12v directly on the 13pin connector pins and all ok.
                              I have checked the cable cores from the relay to the towbar pins and all ok and nothing damaged.
                              I have taken the relay out of the car and tested with a spare 12v battery and it triggers on all cores when another 12v added to them.
                              I don’t seem to have 12v from the light cables feeding the relay from the car (it is connected to the outer lights not inner ones).
                              I am scratching my head? Any ideas anyone?
                              Thanks in advance.

(Insignia sports tourer 2013, 2.0 diesel auto)

Comment

Working...
                              X