Mirror-link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror-link

Why can't you change unit if the car is born with navigation ? What will not work ?

Originally posted by CALEB View Post
    Why can't you change unit if the car is born with navigation ? What will not work ?
    CALEB did you manage to get your display buttons to work yet ? I have the same problem none of the buttons work except traction control 🤔🤔

Comment

I got everything working. But - there is a catch. Basically I rebuilt the aftermarket unit to be smaller (removed DVD ROM), also removed car's original bluetooth module (not needed, because aftermarket unit has this included) and I mounted this rebuilt (smaller) aftermarket unit under the car's original unit. (where bluetooth module was)
      Then I connected reversing camera (self installed) to the aftermarket unit, mounted aftermarket unit's display where the original display was and the original display above the aftermarket unit's display. (on top of the dashboard).
      Wires are connected so that all wires connect parallel to the both units except speaker wires. Speaker wires are coming from original unit only. From the aftermarket unit I took wires from AUXILIARY audio output and connected these to the car's original AUX input under the armrest. Now if I press the CD/AUX button, then I can choose to use Input source from the aftermarket unit. (Shows as AUXILIARY INPUT SOURCE)

So - everything works - buttons (including extra buttons next to handbrake button), steering wheel buttons, radio (using original unit's radio), reversing camera, android unit (for good navi, youtube, etc. and it also shows every parking sensor).

Downsides ? It depends what to consider as a downside. Most visible thing is the original display on top of the dashboard. (without frame for now, planning to add later). And at least one time my car did not start in the morning because of the empty battery. I think sometimes this aftermarket unit does not turn off with the car - so I installed a separate switch for it.

I did all that quite recently, after long time searching for the unit that could work with the factory navi. There is none and probably never will be, because original car stuff is coded and does not give full access to aftermarket units. So what I described is basically the only way to have it all working.

Comment

It's not so much that it's coded but more to do with the wiring.

If you can re-wire a few things to make it like it has "no sat nav" then it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewish View Post
          It's not so much that it's coded but more to do with the wiring.

If you can re-wire a few things to make it like it has "no sat nav" then it can be done.
          You mean with original buttons, extra buttons and radio working ?

Comment

Originally posted by CALEB View Post
            You mean with original buttons, extra buttons and radio working ?
            I would assume so. Never done it as I only retrofitted factory stuff. However that's what I've been told.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewish View Post
              I would assume so. Never done it as I only retrofitted factory stuff. However that's what I've been told.
              I searched for years someone who knows how to do this, but no luck. So I did what I described. Positive thing is that since all the aftermarket units have very bad radio reception, I don't have this problem - I can use original radio. And having two displays has it's advantages.

Comment

Working...
              X