Strange noise from engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noise from engine

Hi all can you all please listen to this it is a noise that is coming fro my engine it's been bugging for a while now but can just put my finger on where it is coming from or what it's coming from. Thought it might be the air box as is common but put some duck oil on the rubber mount but still I get the same noise. It seem louder as I accelerate then when I change gear it disappears then comes back. Please have a listen and give me some expert opinion.

It sounds like faulty alternator bearing.

Comment

Hi all thank for listening to my video there is no picture just sound as I had my iPhone face down on the centre console and I have uploaded it through photobucket which is not the best. Forget the clicking noise it's just cabin noise ( phone bumping due to uneven roads) its the how can I explain it like forced air noise if that sounds right. Sorry for the late reply to this thread I'm on nights 12 hour ones at that killer

Comment

Solenoid, on 19 April 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:
        It sounds like faulty alternator bearing.

Had the alternator changed not so long ago plus the battery mate.

Comment

Photobucket version now deleted youtub one is better

Comment

mossy, on 19 April 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:
            Sounds like gearbox whine to me.??Does it make a difference when driving by:

a) pushing in the clutch in gear

B)/> pushing in the clutch in neutral

c) letting out clutch whilst in neutral

The noise is only there when I get up to about 20 mph it is not there on idling I think it's is when I change gear I take my foot off the gas it seem to be lesser then builds but seem to disappear when the cutch is pushed in ???

Comment

Mr Grumpy, on 19 April 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:
              Sounds like a cat.

The furry kind or the converter kind

Comment

sunday bump

any one got a idea what the noise is ???

Comment

Hi all still don't know what the noise is I'm getting from my engine ?? Please can people watch my sound/video again as I'm none the wiser what the noise is and it's not going away. There is some cracking noise but that's just my phone banging about on the plastic trim. If you view the video the noise is stronger 22 seconds in and 55 seconds in and it's just the engine note to listen to. PS the video is at the top of this post. Thanks

Comment

BIG-RED, on 09 May 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:
                    have you had the turbo checked ?

if i get chance tomorrow i will play it for the boys in the workshop see what they think?

Sorry mate should have said its just a 1.8 exclusiv I'm not mechanical minded but as far as I know I don't have a turbo ( wish I had )

Thanks.

Comment

CraigZ9876, on 09 May 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:
                      Can't really hear it well on my phone but its not a split boost pipe is it? Leaking boost. But I'd imagine you would get the eml on if so

That sound interesting ! as I forgot to mention I only have a mere 1.8 exclusiv do I have a boot pipe? And if so where is it for me to have a look at ? Thanks.

Comment

CraigZ9876, on 09 May 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:
                        Ah no probs forget that then . I just presumed it was a derv. I'm stumped then. What about having a garage remove aux belt and inspect all pulleys and rollers? It might sound daft but I'm sure I read that someone had a wind/engine noise from the steering column. Rite at the bottom where it goes through the floor just needed shoving back on. Worth checking

Thanks for your reply anyway.

Comment

BIG-RED, on 10 May 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:
                          Taph sorry bud (just assumed you had a diesel like the rest of us on here :unsure:/> )

but also i had petrol turbo car years back that made a similar sound before the turbo bearing seized.

anyhoo i let the boys in the workshop have a listen but said although they can hear it it was hard to tell

there is a car garage next door to where i work if i get a chance i'll nip in and ask

Thanks very much mate. Is total ball buster the noise is not get worst but its annoying. I pray it's not the gearbox.

Comment

Big Fra, on 10 May 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:
                            It sounds like a bearing or gearbox noise to me.

Does the noise increase with the increase in engine revs, or road speed?

E.G. Is the noise there when the car is stationery and the engine is revved?

or does the noise increase when the car is accelerating? If so, does it do it in all gears? Does the noise have the same tone/pitch in each gear, like it's repeating itself, or does it increase a little further with each gear change?

The reason I ask is that noise could be one or more of about 5 or 6 things either engine bearing or gearbox related.

I know i'm sounding quite specific, but this was the kind of job I did in Ford, deciphering faults by customers description over the phone.

It's hard to say but seem to be when I'm in 3 gear and accelerating its at the loudest then goes when the cluch is engaged and then when I'm in 4 gear it's not as loud then in 5/6 it's seem to have gone quiet. So in a nut shell it seem to be at its loudest when I'm accelerating if that makes sense. The noise is not there when the car is stationary just when I'm about 20/30 mph. Thanks for listening to my video.

Comment

andy-g, on 10 May 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:
                              If your talking about the whine I'd say box too.

1st gear ain't so bad , 2nd you can here it coming in and after that its there all the time .

I can get my head around it being the gearbox the car has only got 23000 on the clock I'm royally f#%ked I have no warranty.

Comment

Working...
                              X