X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing factory fitted CD500 navi with aftermarket Android 4.4 unit

UPDATE

My navi has finally arrived !

* Everything regarding the unit itself is working ok.

* Radio antenna connector is different and needs to be connected directly wire-to-wire or maybe i will make some adapter wire.

* For now center panel buttons are dark and not working. I will check the center panel wiring more thoroughly.

* Climate panel (below center panel buttons) is working ok and climate settings are showing on display along with external temperature (outside temp. is showing only while changing something in climate settings - like turning on or off AC)

* Parking sensors are working. (all 8 of them) They are even showed graphically.

* Chime sounds have extra speaker that comes with unit.

* Steering wheel controls seem to be working (volume is changing 3 steps at once for some reason)

* Can not connect car original USB (under arm rest) wire (different plug)- solution: replace plug or find adapter. But unit has two extra USB connectors and i could successfully connect my USB stick to it. (and play videos and mp3-s)

* Screen is amazing - good colors, good picture (800x480 8") and good response to touch.

* OS is android 4.4 Kitkat and everything can be installed from google play store.

* System feels quite fast (quad core)

* GPS (+ GLONASS) has its own antenna.

* Audio from the speakers is working ok.

* Some car settings are showing under setting (i think not all but i have to check more)

* When changing gear to reverse (automatic transmission) then all audio (music, etc.) is stopped and screen goes black with text: "no input" or something like this - that is because i have not installed rear view camera yet. (no extra wires needed to be connected to gearbox)

* unit has some kind of canbus box with it. (connected to wires)

* It takes some time (not long, seconds) to boot the unit once the key is in ignition.

* Can not switch the unit on and off via center console button (as i said - center console is not powered up for now)

* Bluetooth is working and can be used as hands-free.

* OBD 2 link i ordered (ELM327 mini) is working ok with this unit (had to change default bluetooth pin to 0000)

* Wifi can be used to connect to wireless networks (including phone created access points) (i did not order with gsm module)

Basically - most things are working and things that are not working now, have some kind of solution.

Worst is the centre console with its non working buttons. (i hope to find some solution)

So - is it right to say that cars with factory navi are not compatible with aftermarket units ? NO - not right thing to say. Because (at least with this unit and CD500) mostly it is working ok (minus some minor things that need some extra work)

I will update when i have more info.

I haven't made any pictures yet.??Pictures of the unit can be viewed from the link in first post. (sellers pictures)

I will make some pictures of the installed and working unit soon if that is what you need.

Comment

Oh, the aerial should be working, i have been just lazy and have not connected these wires - i have to replace one connection plug on one wire. (or buy an adapter wire)

The centre console buttons are more problematic - there is also eject button for disk.

I have some wiring diagrams for insignia but studyng (and understanding) these takes some time.

Comment

I already know, why my center console buttons are not working - inside the iso plug (the big one) that comes with the unit, there are no pins where center console connects through wires. So i guess that as mostly this unit is ment to replace CD300 or CD400, the required pins are in different locations. I need to locate the right pins in the units plug and relocate them or relocate some wires inside the car side plug.

It would be very helpful if anyone could send me some pictures of CD300 or CD400 plugs (the big one that goes behind the unit and the smaller that goes to center panel buttons) Mostly i need pictures where all the wires (and their colors) that go inside these plugs are visible. (pictures taken from behind the plugs) - This way i can determine which wire from the center panel goes to which pin in the big plug (behind the unit.)

After i get this all fully working, i believe this is a precedent of aftermarket unit working in a car with factory navi. (at least as much as i know). I will of course write some kind of instructions, then everyone can do it.

But who cannot wait, i can confirm - this unit is working mostly as it is - minus center controls if replacing CD500 with this.

StuBFrost, on 03 May 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:
        If it's anything like my Android unit, you need to make sure that it is actually set for an Insignia in the settings screen for the console buttons to work.

In the settings screen i could not find (or missed somehow) the settings you mentioned. And i'm not sure that these settings are needed, because this whole unit is shaped and manufactured to fit insignia.

Comment

With this unit do you get the outside temp / clock / displayed at all times? I have the sinosmart unit which I love, but the standard VX display (what was the red screen) is overlayed only when an input is detected. 99% of the time when navigating or playing music there is no clock or temp which really bugs me. Also there is no radio read out as the signal is comign through aux, double annoying. Also every input prompts the red screen overlay to popup showing AUX which looks really naff and not OE, tripple annoying. Oh and in direct sunlight the screen might as well be turned off..

Soooooooo.. if the android unit fixes any of those issues, my sinosmart v2 might be up for sale in replacement..

With this unit do you get the outside temp / clock / displayed at all times? I have the sinosmart unit which I love, but the standard VX display (what was the red screen) is overlayed only when an input is detected. 99% of the time when navigating or playing music there is no clock or temp which really bugs me. Also there is no radio read out as the signal is comign through aux, double annoying. Also every input prompts the red screen overlay to popup showing AUX which looks really naff and not OE, tripple annoying. Oh and in direct sunlight the screen might as well be turned off..

Soooooooo.. if the android unit fixes any of those issues, my sinosmart v2 might be up for sale in replacement..

Comment

The clock is displayed most of the time (using radio or music app). When navigating, it depends on what navigation app you are using (you can install every app from Google Play store.) Since the os is Android, using this unit is basically the same as using Android phone. (But with bigger screen, some extra features (rearview camera and other car specific stuff) and you don't have to worry about battery getting empty.)

Outside temp is only showing while turning climate buttons, but again - since it is an Android device, i guess you can install some apps and widgets to show anything on home screen.

This unit shoud have 2-zone function also - running two apps side by side. (i have not tried yet, need to do some other stuff with the car first)

Comment

How does the climate display? Is it a temporary overlay?

How does the climate display? Is it a temporary overlay?

Comment

Hi everyone, this is my first topic, so i hope i do not break any rules accidentally (and sorry for my english)

I am searching for an aftermarket navi for my insignia MY09 with factory navi CD500.

I want to replace it with touch-screen android unit, but everyone say that these only fit for cars with CD300 or CD400.

I have searched and found something from alibaba.com so i asked them about this unit and got some replies.

I decided to copy my questions and their replies here so you can see them and give me some advice.

Unit i found:

I asked them:

Hi!

Does this unit fit to replace my CD500 factory navi ?

Their reply:

Thanks for your inquiry.

Our latest version is android 4.4 quad core,unit price for one sample is USD 330 including 8G free igo map & free Can-bus.

I think it's better you show us your car dashboard photo to let us check if our dvd fit your car exactly.

Android 4.4 Quad core system main functions as below:

Resolution:800*480 * 1024*600(optional)

CPU : CorteX A9 Quad -Core 1.6GHz Allwinner R16

RAM : 1 G DDR3

ROM: 16G

Bluetooth:IVT

FM IC:6686

Button Light:7 colors

Build in Igo map & including canbus

Capacitive multi-touch screen GPS+IPOD supported+BT+Radio+AUX IN+MP3+MP4+FM/AM+DVD+support

3G/4G/WIFI+MIRROR LINK+USB cable+Bluetooth Hands-free+59

OSD language+Rear Camera Input +Support DVR/TPMS/OBD2/3G dongle/Digital tv etc.

Please watch our operating video which helps you know more about our product.

Operating video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVKUekaLwFk

Any questions pleas just contact me,thanks.

Carla Wu

Shenzhen Hetongtai Electronic Co., ltd

My reply:

I added a picture of my cars center console, where original unit is located. As you can see, it is the factory default CD500.

The shape of your unit is the same but i have heard that most of the aftermarket replacement units do not work if car has original navi (CD500 or DVD800).

They only are compatible with cars that are fitted with CD300 or CD400 factory units. (different wires and programing)

I did not find any compatibility info about you unit, that is why i'm asking if it will work with my car.

Their reply:

This model is not compatible with CD800 & CD600,fine with CD500.

Sample price is USD330+shipping USD98 4-12days including taxes.

If you need lower shipping fee by DHL USD 62 ,but it may causes you high taxes.

Pls kindly confirm,thanks.

Carla

My reply:

Hmm.. You say fine with CD500 ? Not compatible with CD800 & CD600 ? There is no such thing as CD800.

If you ment DVD800, then it has the same wires and contacts as CD500. If one of these is not compatible,

then other is also not compatible, if CD500 is fine, then DVD800 should also be fine.

Can you confirm that your unit is fully compatible with cars that have by default CD500 or DVD800 factory navi ?

Their reply:

yes,I checked with our factory. We have selled for cd500 before.

Carla

My reply:

You say you have selled for CD500 before, but can you confirm it is compatible ?

Selling does not mean that it will work with CD500. Sorry if i ask so many questions,

but for me it is a big money and i want to have something that will certainly work.

Can you send some pictures of your unit wires and connectors ?

Their reply:

yes, it is compatible with CD500. I will check and send you the wire picturs later.

--

Best regards,

Jennifer

Hongkong Tongtai Technology Co., Ltd

Tel: +86755-82965240 Fax: +86-0755 82965241

Email: sales2@tontek-china.com

Picture they sent:

Comment

I asked them (chinese people) more precice pictures. They did not send me any pictures but asked me pictures of my car plugs so their engineer could see if these fit. I dismantled my dashboard, took some pictures and sent to them. Now i am waiting for their response.

Comment

UPDATE:

My reply:

Hi !

I send you some pictures of my cars plugs. (There are 9 plugs that need to connect with multimedia - navi unit)

----PICTURES---- (did not bother to upload here)

My car has built in temperature sensor, parking sensors and GPS antenna. and it has canbus system.)

I have read in forums that the ECU on cars with the CD300 & CD400 work because it never had satnav, where the Navi fitted cars (CD500) will look for the connection, which renders the aftermarket unit useless.

I personally really hope that there is a way to use Android based unit with cars that have factory fitted CD500

Their reply:

Hello,

sorry for the late reply.

Engineer checked, our item can fit your insignia 500D.

And we have stock for android 4.4.2 800*480 resolution quad core.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tel:+86-0755-82965240?? Fax:+86-0755-82965241

Mobile:13798351820

Email:info@tontek-china.com

Address:Room 1501, Lan-kun building,Minkang Road,

Minzhi Avenue,Longhua,Bao'an District,Shenzhen City,

Guangdong Province, China

.................................................. .................................................. ............

Factory phone:+86-755-29378193 ??

Factory Fax:+86-755-29378005

Factory address:2-4 Floor, Building A,Prestige

High-Tech Park,Five of the Association Ping

Road,Longgang District,Shenzhen

??:www.tontek-china.com

My reply:

500D ???You mean CD500 ???

Ok, you say it can fit - does that mean that all plugs are fitting, no excess wires and ECU is working with this unit ?

Can i control car functions and settings with it ? CANBUS compatible ?

And do all buttons (on steering wheel and on center console) work after replacing my CD500 with your unit ?

(i know - i am asking very many questions, i hope you don't mind. I am always very thorough)

Their reply:

Hello,

yes, I mean CD500.

ECU will work and canbus is compatible.

Usually most original functions will remain after install after-market dvd.

But i can not guarante that 100% same as the original dvd.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.................................................. .................................................. ............

My reply:

Thank you ! This information should be on the selling page.

So basically all is compatible, navi working, radio working, and all other stuff working too ?

And i can access car built-in menus and configure car functions ?

And buttons on the center console (around DVD) and buttons on steering wheel ? <- important

Their reply:

Hello,

Yes, basically all is compatible.

I can not sure all buttons on the center console (around DVD) and buttons on steering wheel can work for i don't have the installed experience.

But feedback from customers that it can work well with CD500.

Comment

Yep !??Last thing i did - I asked them installation guide (some pdf of something like that) and now i am waiting.

Comment

Sorry, long time no update -

Basically they don't have installation manual file, but some kind of manual is with the product.

What was taking time, is that this unit does not have serial number and CE marking on the unit.

(they put some sort of certificate with it)

In my country Customs Office won't allow this kind of products in.

But yesterday (Tuesday) i managed to make myself a deal with Customs Office.

I also informed these Chinese that now everything is ok and i am ready to order this weekend. (i will order from them directly)

So now i am waiting for their instructions.

Comment

Ok, Chinese finally answered.

Unit they will send is better than the one on Alibaba.com. It has quad core cpu

(Unit that is on the Alibaba.com has dual core cpu)

Screen resolution is 800x480 (if i want 1024x600, there will be extra 10-15 days waiting time)

Can someone tell me is the difference worth waiting and additional 20 dollars ?

Price is 330 dollars (800x480 reso.) + 10 dollars for OBD2 (additional order) and shipping is 98 dollars.

They offered three payment methods: T/T, WU (western union) and PayPal. (They said that using Paypal costs me extra 5% PayPal fee. Is it true?)

What payment method should i use ? Which one is the safest for me ?

Comment

Update: I ordered this unit and now i am waiting.

Comment

Do you have CD500 or DVD800 ?

They said erlier:

"This model is not compatible with CD800 & CD600,fine with CD500."

I guess they meant DVD800 instead of "CD800".

(Although i had an impression that these units are basically the same)

Comment

Working...
                              X