Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disel Particulate Filter warning

Do a search... Just needs a good blast down the motorway to clear it

DPFs are not a service item, and nor should they need to be.

Comment

It may be beyond recovery now. If it doesn't go off it means a trip to the dealers for a forced regeneration.

Comment

If you

?jamroller, on 04 July 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:
        In the book it says 7-12 mins which ive done as constant as possible, maybe its best on the motorway

Read on a bit. It says typically 7 - 12 mins. But it could be up to 25 mins.

If you have a warning message showing, I guarantee it will take a minimum of 20mins. Don't stop until the message goes off. If the regen fails or is interrupted repeatedly, you'll end up in "limp mode" and probably have the "service" and "engine" warning lights showing.
        Elite ST 2.0i Auto. Power Red With All The Toys

Comment

My confusion continues over the DPF.

If I have no warning message coming up about my DPF and drive my car (a 2012 160) keeping the engine above 2,000rpm for n minutes will this clean the DPF? If it does, is this called a "regen" or does the term "regen" only apply under special circumstances?

Please help my understanding,

Dave

Comment

daveg, on 07 August 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:
            My confusion continues over the DPF.

If I have no warning message coming up about my DPF and drive my car (a 2012 160) keeping the engine above 2,000rpm for n minutes will this clean the DPF? If it does, is this called a "regen" or does the term "regen" only apply under special circumstances?

Please help my understanding,

Dave

Dave, if you are not getting any messages or warning symbols and have not had any previous problems with the DPF, then just drive the car normally.

If you only ever do short trips in town, or spend a lot of time in slow heavy traffic, then you might want to think about taking a 15 - 20 mile trip on a quiet motorway/dual carriageway at least once a month.

I would also recommend using a quality "branded" fuel rather than cheap supermarket fuel.

(I use Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate wherever possible.)

The "regen" process is triggered by the ECU when it decides it is necessary, based on differential exhaust pressure readings, and if the driving conditions are right.

At this stage the process is fully automatic and there will not be a warning message or symbol showing when it takes place.

You might notice higher fuel consumption, faster idle at junctions, and possibly that the rear screen heater is active although switched off.

The ECU will be doing all of this to increase the exhaust temperature at the DPF to about 700oC, allowing the trapped soot particles to burn off. If the conditions are right, this regen will take 7 to 12 minutes.

If the above regen cycle fails or is interrupted - i.e. the driving conditions didn't allow it to complete, or the engine was switched off, then the ECU will try again at the next opportunity. This time a warning will be given.

If the car only has the basic driver information display, the DPF warning symbol will be shown in the top right corner.

If the car has the more advanced "uplevel" driver information display, then a text warning will be shown. It will probably read "Particle Filter Full - Continue Driving"

Under these circumstances, you need to keep driving and also try to keep the engine rpm above 2000rpm by selecting lower gears. If you can get onto a fast road and maintain a constant throttle setting, it will shorten the process. But the important thing is to continue driving until the warning message or symbol goes away. This may take up to 25 minutes. (I have had this happen twice, and it took 20 minutes both times)

If the above regen processes fail repeatedly, then the "Service Vehicle" message and engine warning symbol will be displayed and the car will probably go into "limp mode". The car will need to be taken to a workshop to have a forced regen carried out.

I hope this helps your understanding.

Ian

Comment

Thanks Ian,

I'm just about there - I think!

"If you only ever do short trips in town, or spend a lot of time in slow heavy traffic, then you might want to think about taking a 15 - 20 mile trip on a quiet motorway/dual carriageway at least once a month".

Just to spell it out for me please??- Does the above 15/20 mile drive clean the DPF with or without the ECU initiating a process ?. I.e. Is it simply the act of driving the car like this (and raising the exhaust temperature) which cleans the DPF or does the ECU intervene?

Also what please is " the more advanced "uplevel" driver information display". (Note my vehicle is an Elite Nav Auto Sport Tourer 160, 12 plate)

Thanks Dave

Comment

The 15/20 mile motorway cruise will not regen the DPF on its own. Although, the ECU might well initiate a regen whilst you are driving.

It will help to clear out any accumulated soot and carbon from the engine and other parts of the exhaust system. It will also ensure that the engine is thoroughly warmed through. Accumulated moisture and unburnt fuel that has been trapped in the engine oil will be evaporated off and vented. It should also help keep the fuel injectors clean, without having to resort injector cleaning additives (another reason for using a quality branded fuel).

I would put the gear selector into manual mode too and not go higher than 5th gear, just to keep the engine revs up a bit without breaking any speed limits.

These are only my opinions. Check out jondem's comment (#5) in the linked thread.

http://www.insignia-...wtopic=9092&hl=

Your car will have the "uplevel" display. It gives several different menus for showing Trip and Fuel Consumption, Oil Life, Tyre Pressure Monitor, ECO display etc. The display shows the info in the form of tabbed pages, that you can cycle through using the menu button and twist collar on the left stalk.

The basic level display (if it is still even used) was much less detailed, and only displays the information as single items that you have to scroll through.

Comment

Thanks yet again Ian.

Dave

Comment

Just found if you turn you're automatic rear demister of the car comes up with a service message and will not do a regen.
                    Is this method used to create un-lawful work on cars dpf system? ��

Comment

DPF indicators seem to vary according to what model you have. On my old pre-facelift 2013 2.0 CDTi SE there was no dedicated warning indicator for when the DPF cycle was running. The only indications were that the rear screen heater light would come on and tickover speed increased to about 1200 rpm. When I noticed this, I'd tend to keep to lower gears (i.e. higher revs, over 2500) until the light went out. Only once did I get a message something like "DPF regeneration in progress, keep driving", at which time I took it for a high-rev trip along a country lane until the rear screen heater light went out.

I covered over 55,000 miles with no issues, and have now passed the car to my daughter's boyfriend, who has also had no problems. (I've moved on to a petrol GS)

The important thing is not to obsess about the DPF and have the car serviced regularly. I would disagree with Dean's suggestion about fuel, mass produced cars are designed to run on mass produced fuel, it's only exotic, finely-tuned engines that benefit from so-called "high performance" juice.

And as I've said elsewhere on this forum, for every one person who has had DPF problems there are probably hundreds if not thousands of happy owners who have probably not the faintest idea that they even have a DPF.
                      2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                      Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

On my wife's Qashqai, there is nothing/ nill on any part of the dash to say if you are or were or you have c**ked up a regen .
                        She runs it on Morrisons diesel , has driven it for 8 months , and I drive it sometimes, and we would never know the difference between it and my 9-3 150 that dose not have a DPF .and that's the way it is . I once in curiosity looked underneath it , and yes the DPF is all,there and intact.
                        Those cleaver Japanese.

.K.M.P.C.U
                        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
                        X