Cam Shaft Support Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Shaft Support Bearing

I imagine that one or both camshafts will need to be removed in order to access the bearing. So the cambelt will have to be removed. That being the case, I would advise fitting a complete cambelt kit and a new water pump. The kit should include a new idler and tensioner.
    Elite ST 2.0i Auto. Power Red With All The Toys

Allan, on 24 May 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:
    We have been told the cam shaft support bearing needs replacing on 59 insignia (82K). We asked Vauxhall dealer if they could change cam belt at same time as we were under the impression it has to be removed to change bearing but Vauxhall dealer have said it is a seperate job. Is this correct???

Hi. Did you sorted your problem? Was it camshaft bearing or something alse?

Comment

Thanks for replay Allan. I'm glad you sorted that. I have a very similar problem with my insignia. Strange noise what you can hear when engine is hot only. Some kind of metal to metal sound from end of the camshaft, where vacuum pump is. Camshaft bearing? I dont know. Why only when engine is hot? Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Allan. Glad you are back on the road, I wonder if you could clarify something, to settle my curiosity..

Nowhere in this thread is the type of engine in your car actually mentioned. As replacement (or not) of the cambelt was mentioned, I assumed it was a diesel.

Nerdy character that I am, I have been looking through the parts diagrams on PartsBase.org. None of the diagrams, petrol or diesel, show or mention a cam shaft support bearing.

On the petrol engines, the bearings appear to be milled directly into the cylinder head, with the bearing caps bolted on top. I presume the assembly is line-reamed to the correct size.

On the diesel engines, the camshafts appear to be located within the cam cover. It looks as though the cover is a one piece casting, that is line-bored to take the camshafts.

In both cases, I would expect that failure of the bearings would mean replacement of the camshafts, and either cylinder head or cam cover respectively.
        Elite ST 2.0i Auto. Power Red With All The Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Auto.de View Post
          Thanks for replay Allan. I'm glad you sorted that. I have a very similar problem with my insignia. Strange noise what you can hear when engine is hot only. Some kind of metal to metal sound from end of the camshaft, where vacuum pump is. Camshaft bearing? I dont know. Why only when engine is hot? Thanks again.

i have same problem did you sort this

My black Insignia

Comment

Working...
          X