X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8.1

Hi,

Can anyone answer this?:

When using windows 8, i can watch the videos etc that are on my PC from my TV (Smart TV) - i just open the PC connection (from the TV) and it works.

When i upgrade to windows 8.1, i cant! The TV doesnt see the PC at all.??So i reinstall windows 8 and all is working fine again, then i reinstalled windows 8.1 and it doesn't work!

So, i've reinstalled windows 8 again and now its working.

On the web, people are saying that windows 8.1 does not support DNLA streaming, but windows 8 does....!!!!!!??

Is there anyway to allow windows 8.1 video files to be viewable from my TV???

Appologies for highlighting the 8 and 8.1 versions above, but it seems to make a huge differance.

Thanks in advance.

What Video Files, 8.1 doesnt allow streaming of copyrighted materials.

Comment

It doesn't seem to allow anything.. Thats my issue, no pictures, no videos (copyrighted or taken by me etc) - Nothing at all.

Comment

I will tel you what I do, it might not be what you are looking for. I have an LG telly (smart one), I went to pc settings (sony vaio with win 8.1), added a second display and it works like that. I know what you are saying, DLNA, don`t you need the special software from the telly manufacturer? I am sure I am wrong, but, that`s how i watch the movies on the big screen... (or I put the file son the external HDD and connect it directly to the telly)

Comment

As above^^

I can connect to my Panasonic Smart TV as a second display using WiDi/Miracast and a Netgear PTV3000 dongle connected to an HDMI port on the TV. (I need the dongle because my TV is not Miracast ready).I can then play the content on the laptop, but viewing it on the big screen.

I don't think I can push DLNA content direct to the TV. I think I would have to "share" the content on my network, either on the computer or on a NAS attached to the router. Then I would go into the TV's network settings, and register the shared directories. Then I can use the TV's built in media player to call up and view media content over the network. I think that there are some copyright limitations for certain content viewed this way.

I have only had a Smart TV for a couple of months, so I am still learning how to use its Smart capablities.

PS: If you have Windows 8.1 not 8.1 Pro, I think there are some limitations with the built in media player. You might have to use a 3rd party package like CyberLink PowerDVD or similar.

Also, when you have upgraded to 8.1, you might need to look at your file sharing and HomeGroup settings.

http://windows.micro...s-8/use-play-to
          Elite ST 2.0i Auto. Power Red With All The Toys

Comment

I have streamed downloaded films using 8.1 to my 55" samsung smart tv

Comment

Thanks Guys, as Lansdowne say's - I'll just stick to win8 - it's easier

Comment

neverlandandy, on 10 August 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:
                My smart tv has a built in wifi can i connect my lap top to my tv wirelessly

Yes, through a wireless router.??Thats what i'm doing, although i have a network cable in the TV too, as the wifi is prone to postioning problems. With windows 8, so long as the PC is on i can access the files on it from any device on my network, so long as i set the files to be sharable in the 1st place.

My issues are with windows 8.1 at the moment, not allowing me to do this for some reason.

Comment

I would go back to windows 8 then.

Comment

i did upgrade and dont see any diffidence in it but i been told Microsoft can tell what your up to easier with 8.1

Comment

conno57, on 10 August 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:
                      I would go back to windows 8 then.

Helpfull Thanks.

Comment

ghost.rider, on 10 August 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:
                        Helpfull Thanks.
                        Always glad to help

Comment

Working...
                        X