Air Con smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Con smell

sshaikh, on Jun 1 2011, 03:16 PM, said:Mine has started to smell!

Will look at changing the pollen filter!

Quick question, does this not get replaced with the car service?

Yes, but changing period is 60000 km.

Get an air con cleaning can from Halfords or any motor factors shop . The smell is probably bacteria growing in your vents .These cans clean all the ducting system as well as deordorising the inside of your car .

Comment

I bought a two part kit off the internet, not expensive. One part is a foam that you spray into the air vents, or what I did was find the temp sensor in the passenger footwell it's located just above the heater matrix which is on top of the tunnel behind the temp control panel. I pulled it out and srayed the foam in there aiming to soak the heater/aircon matrix. I replaced the pollen filter (located behind glovebox, remove glovebox to access) then the bomb is a cannister you set off in the car with engine and aircon running shut doors and let it do its bit for about 10mins.Totally cured mine. I dont have that car now otherwise would have included some pics.

Comment

Found what I used, you see similar stuff in Halfords and other motor stores.

Comment

The OPs post is 9 years old

Though while we're on the subject. The best way to ward off AC smells is never turn it off. I've had some right stinks start over the years and I found AC deodorizers worked for a short time but the smells soon came back. Now I never turn it off and it smells fresh and clean all the times. I think its the down time that allows the bacteria to grow.
          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post

Though while we're on the subject. The best way to ward off AC smells is never turn it off. I've had some right stinks start over the years and I found AC deodorizers worked for a short time but the smells soon came back. Now I never turn it off and it smells fresh and clean all the times. I think its the down time that allows the bacteria to grow.
            I fell for that one!

Comment

9 years waiting for an answer and two come along at once.....thead

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post

I don't turn mine off now. Mechanic told me thats what caused the pump to seize on my Vec c. The fluid is also a lubricant. Leaving it off does it no favours apparently.

Comment

Best to run it occasionally, otherwise the sealing rings dry out and you start getting leaks even in the winter it's good dries the air out in your car and demists quickly and stops the windows fogging up.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
                    9 years waiting for an answer and two come along at once.....thead
                    Well got nothing better to do now that I've self isolated

Comment

Made a note not to follow your posts til you've had chance to go right through the forum!

Comment

What knackered mine on my Vectra was a ladder l ran over on an island flicked up and punctured my condenser 🤬🤬🤬

Comment

Mine just seized up, I used to leave it off thinking I would save a bit fuel. A new pump etc was £500 so took the fuse out and went back to the old method of opening a window! Doubt I would have saved that much fuel...

Comment

About the same price as mine,new condenser complete re gas , repaired bumper and new lower air intake. Had to buy a new bumper because the old one was badly repaired where l worked at the time . Got the new one sprayed up by a better sprayer at the same place, luckily all for free . So all those parts I reckon came to close to your total more if l had to pay for the repair and spray job.

Comment

How are you liking the new one? I had 2 Vec bs, 1 Vec C and an Insignia a, all estates (tourers as they are now called) this new one is my first auto. I liked them all but this new one is like all the best bits in one car!

Comment

Working...
                              X