'Whisper' diesels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Whisper' diesels

I previously owned (second hand in 2000) a 1997 Omega CD 2.5 V6 which I can say was an absolutely fabulous car. I did over 210,000 miles in it averaging 35mpg without anything going wrong bar front suspension bushes which it ate every 50,000 miles. Regarding the desire for a 'Omega size long distance motorway muncher' we already have it, the dimensions of the Omega V's Insignia are:

Length: 4898 v 4842 (estate 4898 v 4908)

Width: 1776 v 1856 (with mirrors 2033 v 2084)

Height: 1456 v 1498 (1520 insignia estate)

Track: 1530 v 1585 (average values)

Wheelbase: 2730 v 2737

The insignia is actually very similar (bigger) in size to the Omega though the level of refinement is admittedly nowhere near as good. I had the heat exchanger for the cabin air leak and had to lift the floor mats to dry them out and the soundproofing between the carpet and the bulkhead was 9 inches thick.

In my opinion Vauxhall have always had great seats, e.g. in the Vectra, Omega, but the seats in the Insignia elite 160 (which my wife has) I think are crap, though the sports seats which I have in my biturbo are very good and extremely comfortable.

Switching to 'Sport' only advances the throttle response relative to accelerator pedal position , it does not produce more torque or power from the engine.

The 160 v biturbo produces the following in NM:

1000rpm 165 v 185 (185 honda 2.2)

1250rpm 240 v 300 (260 honda 2.2)

1500rpm 300 v 350 (330 honda 2.2)

1750rpm 350 v 400 (370 honda 2.2)

so low end torque is significantly better in the biturbo, if you drive the 160 after the biturbo you will notice/feel the difference. The figures are even much better than the much admired, bigger capacity, 2.2 accord which Is no doubt a much smoother/quieter/efficient engine, full stop.

I love my biturbo though, no flex ride or 20" alloys on a Honda, plus Honda's are as thick as two short planks, though ultra reliable.

P.S. I have pics of my water cooled intercooler fix I must post.

Despite the dimensions, the Omega might still have felt bigger inside. Less rake on the windscreen, thinner A pillars, more upright flanks and a lack of curtain airbags would make the cabin feel much bigger, even if the actual core measurements are similar.
    Elite ST 2.0i Auto. Power Red With All The Toys

Comment

I wish I'd kept my Omega as I sold it when the release bearing/hydraulic clutch went. Bearing took hydro with it which was the expensive bit. Wouldn't mind but I had sourced hand bearing part for free, just was going to be a pain to do myself.

Comment

Working...
      X