Oil extractor pump - anyone used one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil extractor pump - anyone used one?

went to change oil on the weekend and garage has overtightened the sump plug, now feels like the bolt is starting to round off.

Seen Machinemart are doing a 12v oil pump for £35 or i can get a manual one for around the same price.

Anyone used one, 12v or manual?

Thinking they should be ok to be used once for a 6000 miles change and done via the sump plug next time.

I've used a 12v one on the Vectra for intermediate changes. Obviously not as good as draining but what came out was what went in, so not bad.

Comment

I've heard some garages use them....not an approval(I wouldn't want that if I took mine for a service) but is good for a reasonable and quick change [emoji4]

Comment

Thanks tens6 , for the price of an hours labour for the oil change for the garage to do it the pump works out cheaper anyway.

i'll get them to do an oil change and sump plug renewal when it goes in for all the belts later this year

Comment

It's very handy for those extra changes, saves getting under the car and will probably be done in less than an hour. Obviously will be good to do a proper change next time round. I had the same with the rounded plug, basically no care taken or bother replacing it, really annoyed me.

Comment

I’ve used one with good results, melted the suck pipe so looking at another from flea bay about £11

Comment

You need to be careful, I've seen a car written off by someone using one of those. Not the actual extraction, but managed to put the container he was extracting the oil into on a shelf next to the open driver's window. Knocked a gallon of used oil off the shelf, through the window, and all over the interior, including down the dash vents. No way to clean it all out, the car was a parts-or-export write off because it wasn't safe to sit in and breathe the fumes.

Comment

the machine&mart clarke pump has a 1.2m extraction pipe and a 1.6m flow pipe, sump only holds 4.5L so i'll be emptying into and old 5L oil container or empty oil container, there's 4 x 5L containers on amazon for £7 but i'll try my local garages or even a chippy to see if they have anything lying around that i can use to extract to.

if its tipped then, it'll be over the drive

recycling centres by me no longer accept waste engine oil unless its in a container and left there.

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy6boys View Post
                  the machine&mart clarke pump has a 1.2m extraction pipe and a 1.6m flow pipe, sump only holds 4.5L so i'll be emptying into and old 5L oil container or empty oil container, there's 4 x 5L containers on amazon for £7 but i'll try my local garages or even a chippy to see if they have anything lying around that i can use to extract to.

recycling centres by me no longer accept waste engine oil unless its in a container and left there.
                  I just pump mine back into an empty oil container from before, then take it to the recycling centre, fortunately they allow you to empty it. So I can use it over again.

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy6boys View Post

Last time I took some waste oil to the dump, it was in a big glass pickle jar, because that was what I happened to have. Dump said they don't take it any more. Right, put it down on the ground while I empty the rest of the junk out of the car. Accidentally kick it and smash it. Problem solved, I guess.

It really was an accident! The dump guys didn't believe that either...

Comment

Working...
                    X