No announcement yet.

Front Parking Sensors - fitting guide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Parking Sensors - fitting guide?

I was thinking along similar lines, and when I have time (if) - I would take the power from the front lighter socket, and mount a switch in the centre console. I don't want a visual display, but I do like the idea of a light that tells you they are working.

I have fitted mine using the proper switch and a couple of relays takes a bit of doing but it is possible and works well

One of the relays is a time delay off which is variable

If anyone's interested in how I did this I will pull mine apart and make notes etc on what I did

Comment

And it's not that expensive to do either which is a bonus

I can also recommend the tape type sensor rather than the round sensors that need the bumper drilling

Comment

Main dealer for the switch

I forgot to mention that I also have the Orange light operating when the sensors are energised which I noticed seemed to be a problem when others had tried to use the switch

Comment

I am getting the bits together to fit??mine. I plan to use the original park pilot switch, available from Vauxhall parts at???5.60, It is a non latching??switch and if you want to use it you will need a latching relay to follow it. A suitable relay is available from E-Bay for ?16.50.

The pin numbers for the switch connector are:- pins 3 & 6 to illuminate the inbuilt LED (pin 6 0V, pin 3 +12v) and pins2 & 5 close when the button is pushed to operate the latching relay. Obtaining a socket to make connection to the switch may prove difficult.

If possible i want to mount the control box and latching relay behind the glove box.

At the moment i have not got a clue how to run the sensor cables and pass them through the bulkhead, if any one has done this what did you do?

Comment

On your last point, I believe there is a rubber grommet behind the glovebox where other cables pass through the bulkhead. You should be able to put then through there.

Comment

It's empty now but not sure if I can help I sold the car last week so don't have the switch I may still have the wiring diagram I made up

I do no I used two relays though to get it to work as the switch switched the negative and not the +12v as expected .I had it working so that you could press the switch The led on the switch worked and there was a delay for it to all turn off which was adjustable

Comment

Lff64, on 03 November 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:
                It's empty now but not sure if I can help I sold the car last week so don't have the switch I may still have the wiring diagram I made up

I do no I used two relays though to get it to work as the switch switched the negative and not the +12v as expected .I had it working so that you could press the switch The led on the switch worked and there was a delay for it to all turn off which was adjustable

Would be very nice if you could share these wiring diagrams. I also want to add genuine parking switch to the dashboard.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Attached is the diagram of what i propose to do to control front parking sensors.

It uses the OEM "park pilot" switch and a latching relay. You press the switch once to activate the sensors and again to turn them off. The LED on the switch illuminates when the sensors are active.

You will need to source a connector for the switch.

You can mount the relay in a small plastic box, but finding somewhere to mount it is a problem. I suggest behind the ashtray, if nothing is already there. I haven't yet fitted mine, so if you can suggest anywhere better let me know.
                  ?f parking sensor control.pdf ??111.9K
                  ??88 downloads

Comment

franka, on 09 November 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:
                    Attached is the diagram of what i propose to do to control front parking sensors.

It uses the OEM "park pilot" switch and a latching relay. You press the switch once to activate the sensors and again to turn them off. The LED on the switch illuminates when the sensors are active.

You will need to source a connector for the switch.

You can mount the relay in a small plastic box, but finding somewhere to mount it is a problem. I suggest behind the ashtray, if nothing is already there. I haven't yet fitted mine, so if you can suggest anywhere better let me know. f parking sensor control.pdf

Thanks franka! I update you with my progress on this

Comment

I have made the control box for the sensors and mounted it behind the ashtray. It uses the OEM parkpilot switch. One push to turn the sensors on and a further push to turn them off. When on the LED in the switch is illuminated.

I have ordered a set of HAWK electromagnetic sensors but am not convinced that this is the way to go. Bit worried about the sense range and the reliability, especially in the rain. If anyone reading this has used electromagnetic sensors please post your opinions.

Comment

Franka I had the Hawk electromagnet sensor fitted and they are just as good as the ultra sonic ones plus they are not affected by the weather they also have the added bonus of not needing to drill the bumper so in all I would 100% recommend them

Comment

Thanks Lff64, much appreciated.

Comment

Finally fitted my front sensors. Fitted the Hawk electromagnetic sensor.

It was a right pig to fit as there is literally no space in the engine bay to fit anything, or to run any cables.

Removing the front bumper was the easy bit and took a little over 10 minutes. I fitted the sensor tape at just about 400mm from the ground, which takes it just level with the number plate moulding. As suggested i started and finished it about 100mm from the bumper ends. I fixed the control unit on the left hand lower end of the bumper. The ends of the sensor tape i covered with gas closure plate tape.

That concludes the easy bits.

The next job was to route the wires through to the under LHS of the dashboard. Just about level with the top of the carpet is a large rubber grommet, used to bring the wiring loom into the car. I made a hole in the side of this grommet to bring the wiring for the sensors into the cabin. You need a hole about 4mm in diameter. I made the hole by pierceing the flange of the grommet with a hot soldering iron. The wires needed extending as they were too short, and the sounder had to be cut from the wire as it would not pass through the tiny hole i made.All wires were extended by soldering and using heat shrink sleeving. Under no circumstances use scotchblock connectors, you may live to regret it.

Once the wires were into the cabin all that remained was to make connection to the control box i made and fitted earlier.

Do they work and do i like them?

Yes they work but the earliest indication of obstruction is about 600mm, as said in other threads. Also, warning is only given when the car is moving. You need to understand this type on sensor as it picks up everything in its path, including things like kerbs. I have also found that if i leave them on while driving i continually gets spurious bleeps for no apparent reason.

Do i like them? If i had the choice i think, but not yet sure, i would??choose ultrasonic sensors as they detect from a greater distance end still respond whilst not moving. However, this type of sensor would present greater installation problems due to space available.

Comment

Working...
                            X