Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine vibration with 2.0 petrol engine

Hi
    I've got a 2009 insignia 2.0 turbo petrol automatic A20NHT engine.

Bought the car with buggered engine.

I've fitted a used engine that has covered 47000 miles.
    Today I ran it up for the first time, excellent all looking good.
    Couple of things I've noticed.......
    When stationary holding the revs around 3500 - 4000 rpm there's a slight vibration coming through into the the cabin. Above or under these values everything is fine. All the engine mounts are good.
    I am starting to fear ballance shafts? Does anyone have experience with this engine.

Also when stationary, turning the steering wheel either way feels slightly clunky? I've check the suspension and steering bushes and joints all is good. Is this just how they are?

Any help is very much appreciated
    Regards
    Phil

Not many on here with that engine mate,majority have oil burners,,hope you get to the bottom of the problem
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

4 cylinder engines are by design limitation (4 cylinders) subject to vibration at certain rpm. I'd say it's just that, especially as it happens within 500rpm, if you were getting it through the rev range I'd be worried. As you say its slight.
      As for steering, I've had a 09 elite in the past and steering was always smooth. There may be a issue there.

Comment

Balancer shafts are chain driven and any failure of chain/shaft bearings would mean total strip down i think. I'd say it's just the fact its a 4 pot. Opel were known in the past for their petrol engines though.

Comment

Thanks for the swift replies.
          Just the reassurance I needed.
          As for the steering, I've been searching the net. Apparently it's not uncommon for the lower column pinochle bolt to work loose due to heat expansion
          Thank you

Comment

My 2.0 turbo had quite a vibration and in the end I decided to replace the timing chains as I was also plagued by occasional warnings about the camshaft sensors which can be an indicator. I would add I also had a ticking noise on startup from cold which I suspected was lifter damage so I bought the parts myself to do the chains and lifters.

When I removed the crank case cover i found the bottom tensioner was broken in 2 so the chain wasn't driving the weighted shafts correctly hence I believe this was the cause of my vibration. After the work was done the car was much smoother and the vibration gone.

Not saying this is your issue but it might be worth considering having the bottom chain checked if funds allow. A visual inspection would require a couple of hours labour to check the chain is tensioned correctly as it would require removal of the ancillaries on the left of the engine and the crank pulley and case. I have no faith in the plastic tensioners on these engines now, they're really not very sturdy and given the damage caused if they fail. Mine actually had visible scoring on the crank case where the chain had been fouling it, I was a very lucky guy to not have a lump of scrap.

Part exed it in earlier this year for a oil burner as I needed the better mileage. The performance of the 2.0 is great but the running costs have put me off now.

Comment

I Can't comment on the engine vibes, but does it only do this when stationary or does it do it when driving too?

As for the steering, it could be air in the system. Make sure you have plenty power steering fluid in and turn the wheel from left lock to right lock and back and so on to help clear any air from the system. Do this with the lid off so it'll help the bubbles escape and you can also keep an eye on the level.

2015 SRI 2.0CDTI ecoderp hatch

Comment

Working...
              X