New battery, major electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New battery, major electrical problems

I installed a new battery in my 10 reg elite 160hp last week.
    My wife drives it daily so she only mentioned the problems yesterday.
    Right dip and head gone. Bulb ok, leveling not working.
    Drivers power seat not working, although lumber support it working.
    Neither heated seats working.
    Electric mirrors not working.
    Horn not working.

I have checked fuses for all faults, even check them with a multimeter. All ok.
    Friend checked for any faults on his laptop, no faults showing.
    Battery is not from vauxhall but exactly the same amp rating.

Anyone ever seen this before.

When you changed the battery did you short the terminals?
    Always remove the negative terminal first otherwise if the positive lead touches anything metal in the engine bay you will get a short and risk cooking some circuits
    any bulb out errors on the dash to say headlights not working?

Comment

I definitely didn't short anything out when changing the battery, I think !.
      The only dash error is for the right hand head light. I have checked the fuses for the dipped lights, head lights, the adaptive lights and anything else I could see that might have anything to do with the lights. Also tried 2 new bulbs, know to be working.

Comment

I'd be tempted to try a battery reset to see if it's just a glitch. Disconnect battery and leave for 30mins or overnight before reconnecting and see how it goes from there.
        When did the problems start with regards changing the battery over?
        Has the car had a good run to fully charge the battery or just short runs? Even though it's new it may not have a full charge when fitted.

Comment

The battery has had several long runs, over 60 - 70 miles at a time. I'm not sure when the problems started after the battery was changed, the wife drives it all the time and hadn't been doing night driving and she never changes the seat. Had the battery off yesterday for about 2 hours. Will try overnight tonight.
          Thanks.

Comment

Do you have Stop/Start ? If so is your new battery either EFB or AGM ?

There is a special procedure you should follow for changing battery on Insignia, I copied this from our Yuasa Trade website

Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi 160 Diesel (2008-2014)
            Summary
            Loosen/tighten battery cable(s)
            Remove/refit battery

Battery: procedures for disconnection/reconnection
            Before disconnecting the battery
            Turn the engine off
            Disarm the alarm system
            Turn the ignition on
            Turn the ignition off
            Within 15 seconds
            Disconnect the battery
            Before disconnecting the battery cable, ensure that the ignition key is in the OFF position

Initialising the power windows
            Close the doors
            Turn the ignition on
            Close the driver's window
            Press and hold the power window switch
            Until the window is fully closed
            Wait for 2 seconds
            Release the switch
            Repeat the procedure for the passenger's window

Initialising the electric sliding/tilting roof
            Press the switch to open the sunroof
            Hold the switch until the roof is fully open
            Release the switch
            Press the switch again
            Wait for 10 seconds
            Release the switch
            Within 6 seconds
            Press and hold the switch
            Hold the switch until the sliding roof stops moving
            Release the switch
            Last edited by Minuteman; 18-05-2018, 08:00 PM.
            sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

I don't have stop start and I didn't follow any of those procedures !.
              Maybe I should have checked any procedures first but it's too late now.
              I will try the reset tonight and follow those steps for disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Comment

I've done a typo!, procedure is the same for normal and Stop/Start batteries on Insignia
                sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

Originally posted by Minuteman View Post
                  I've done a typo!, procedure is the same for normal and Stop/Start batteries on Insignia
                  Not a straight forward battery swap then!!
                  is it resolvable ?
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes just start again and follow the procedure. Not saying this is causing webcrafty's electrical issues though. I was more thinking if it was a Stop/start and a normal battery had been fitted that that might cause problems
                    sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

Don't think you'll get error messages from them apart from headlights as you said. I don't think they are not controlled by the bcm. I'm guessing.

Which diagnostic software was put on it as insignia are a funny car. You need opcom if you haven't previously used that.

Comment

I couldn't do the battery reset last night, I have a wedding to go to today and I was a little afraid I'd F**K it up even more !. I'll wait to do it on Sunday night when I get back.
                        I'm not sure what software my friend used but he is a dealer and sells a lot of Insignia's so I'd imagine he has the correct software.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll report back Monday morning when I go through the procedure.

Comment

Check all those red cables are correctly screwed on tight to the battery.

Comment

Well after trying the battery reset 2 nights in a row using different procedures it hasn't worked.
                            Think I may have to take a trip to the stealers !.

Comment

Originally posted by webcrafty View Post
                              Well after trying the battery reset 2 nights in a row using different procedures it hasn't worked.
                              Think I may have to take a trip to the stealers !.
                              Let us know how you get on as I’m thinking about replacing the battery on my insignia as my lights dont adjust with the leveller switch and it could be related to a faulty battery.

Good luck getting your issue sorted at the stealers.
                              Insignia 2015 Sri Vx Line

Comment

Working...
                              X