Clutch Performance Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
    Hello Andrew I don't know what kind of warranty you have on the car , but I would of thaught that at least the gearbox would be under some kind of warranty either original manufacturer warranty or extended .
    But also carrying on from lister's reply , there should be no reason why you have to Carry out that procedure for what seems to be a well published fault , on what is basically a not very old car .
    In all my years of driving I've never had to do that to any of my cars
    Thanks for the replies.

Its a 12 month full Vauxhall warranty. I bought the car from a main dealer in April 2019. Vauxhall cust service continue to say without my authorisation and agreement from me over fees they will not do anything else with the car relating to this problem as it is not under warranty and is classed as wear and tear.

here is the actual reply from Vauxhall "We understand your frustration of this however we do not put a life expectancy on parts as we do not expect them to fail at a predetermined time. Gearbox issues fall under wear and tear. It is a regrettable fact that parts and components can and do fail at unexpected times. In order to establish the nature of the repair, the gearbox requires removal which we would need your authorisation for. These investigations are necessary as we need to see what the failure was due to. We do not use third party information as we take each vehicle case by case "

The stance taken by them amazes me - like you say its easy to find this problem online, but as far as they are concerned the fact that there are others with the same problem is purely a coincidence. Unbeliveable !!

Comment

• Originally posted by AndrewD View Post
      Thanks for the replies.

Its a 12 month full Vauxhall warranty. I bought the car from a main dealer in April 2019. Vauxhall cust service continue to say without my authorisation and agreement from me over fees they will not do anything else with the car relating to this problem as it is not under warranty and is classed as wear and tear.

here is the actual reply from Vauxhall "We understand your frustration of this however we do not put a life expectancy on parts as we do not expect them to fail at a predetermined time. Gearbox issues fall under wear and tear. It is a regrettable fact that parts and components can and do fail at unexpected times. In order to establish the nature of the repair, the gearbox requires removal which we would need your authorisation for. These investigations are necessary as we need to see what the failure was due to. We do not use third party information as we take each vehicle case by case "

The stance taken by them amazes me - like you say its easy to find this problem online, but as far as they are concerned the fact that there are others with the same problem is purely a coincidence. Unbeliveable !!
      Thank you everyone for your responses. It's interesting Andrew as Vauxhall have agreed to look at the gearbox and clutch on my car without any fees upfront. Only if they determine that there are issues due to wear and tear (which is an argument they would struggle to make on an 18 plate 13k mileage car that has been serviced through them twice already) could I be charged for the work that may be needed. But first they are checking something to do with the programming, that's scheduled for Wednesday next week.

Comment

• [QUOTE=JayUK;327245]Thank you everyone for your responses. It's interesting Andrew as Vauxhall have agreed to look at the gearbox and clutch on my car without any fees upfront. Only if they determine that there are issues due to wear and tear (which is an argument they would struggle to make on an 18 plate 13k mileage car that has been serviced through them twice already) could I be charged for the work that may be needed. But first they are checking something to do with the programming, that's scheduled for Wednesday next week.[/QUOT

Lucky you Jay ! mine is an 18 plate but has done a few more miles than yours - i wonder if thats why ? Whwtever way you look at it there's no consistency in their dealership fixes for this problem thats for sure.

Comment

• Hey everyone. Just an update for you, but not a great one in all honesty.

Took the car back to Vauxhall and after not being able to find fault with the car they are saying that they think it's wear and tear of the clutch... Which I think is a ridiculous conclusion. They have said that they will take the gearbox apart to assess the problem but if they conclude that it's wear and tear then the cost will be £890 as wear and tear is not covered under the warranty.

I have raised a complaint with Vauxhall as I am not happy with their service or conclusions. Based on comments here I am not holding out that this will be resolved as a customer service issue. The ombudsman recommend paying for an independent inspection to be undertaken but that's something I will need to fork out about 190 pounds for... I don't think I'll ever be buying a vauxhall again.

Andrew - how are you getting on?

Comment

• 13,000 mile, wear and tear, there having a larf.

Comment

• Ask what life expectancy is normal for a cars clutch.
              You will probably get generic answer like it's down to each individual's driving.
              Then ask what brand GM marked clutches are made by and follow that enquiry by saying you will be publicly taking this to the papers and ombudsman as they refused to accept any responsibility for the Zafira going on fire till it made headlines

Comment

• I think they call it passing the buck ,
                So effectively the life expectancy of a clutch in normal use is less than 13000
                In that case I shall be having mine done every service.

.K.M.P.C.U
                YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

• You need to make a proper complaint about them refusing to perform warranty work on an absurd basis.

When they tell you something is wear and tear, ask them to explain the basis on which they have reached that conclusion.

Obviously, things that are wear and tear over a very long time are not over a very short time. If you drive 100 million miles in a car, the paint wearing off from air friction would be understandable - but if the paint comes off after 100k miles, that's a problem.

I'd also ask them what the limit is below which they'd accept this as an obvious warranty issue. 10k miles? 5k? 5 miles?

Comment

• Y'see, this is the problem with not completing your profile with details of your vehicle. Jay has an 18 plate - is it petrol, diesel, what's the engine size, manual or auto? Andrew has similar problems, but again we don't have details of his car. (EDIT: he DID say that it's a17 plate 2l diesel, but in an earlier post, which you can only discover by trawling back through this thread).

PLEASE can new members provide some background info in their profile, (and preferably also in an introductory post under the 'new members' forum).
                    Last edited by PeteH; 02-02-2020, 10:04 AM. Reason: See edit text in post
                    2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                    Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

• Jay.uk has an Astra 1.0t ecotec
                      As we know Andrew has a 2.0 diesel
                      But quite right what Peter is suggesting
                      As in the old days of chat room you always had to put ASL ( age sex location)
                      On here should be as Peter suggests
                      But this is me being nieve
                      But is Andrews car a insignia A or B ? Or would they all of been B by that reg plate ?
                      Because I thaught this fault only occurred on the insignia B

.K.M.P.C.U
                      YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

• hence the reason that when people sign up for the forum......go to the introduction section, tell us about yourself and your car.....then we wouldn't need to constantly play guessing games

After all.......the majority of members on here are male.....so that tell you something........

OUR BALLS ARE HAIRY.......NOT CRYSTAL.

Comment

• Off topic but.....

1. No posts allowed unless signed up member
                          2. No sign up allowed unless certain parts of profile completed.
                          3. Change profile a little to include needed details.
                          4. Can the powers to be not add a drop down box like most spares, tyres, etc site have where you choose your exact model, and then auto fill profile with most relavent details.

Then at any place on a thread just need to click picture of thread poster to see year, model etc.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                          Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

• 2018 Insignia B 2 litre diesel estate or tourer.

Im currently waiting for the ombudsman to get back to me. I had the same wear and tear excuse used by both the dealer and Vauxhall customer service. 95% of my driving is done on the motorway.

Comment

• Thanks for the advice all, and sorry for not providing my car details. I was using the mobile version of this site and functionality was limited.

Vauxhall are going to call me back today regarding my complaint.

Comment

• Originally posted by JayUK View Post
                                Thanks for the advice all, and sorry for not providing my car details. I was using the mobile version of this site and functionality was limited.

Vauxhall are going to call me back today regarding my complaint.
                                Jay keep me updated with how you get on please. I had a to and fro for 5 weeks with Vauxhall customer service direct and got nowhere. I even tried through facebook and got the same stonewall response. I still can't believe they are saying its down to wear and tear on a 2 year old car ...... one that was with a dealer before i bought it last April. Doesn't say much about the build quality and reliability of parts they fit does it ?

PS :Have added my details too ..... was using android mobile and functions were limited.

Comment

Working...
                                X