Vinyl wrapping on.GS front chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl wrapping on.GS front chrome

Thought I'd give it a go. The fog lamp surrounds were pretty straightforward:

BEFORE

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190830_110010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	249214

AFTER

Name:	IMG_20190830_110846.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	249215

Then I had a go on the grille, with significantly worse results (so bad that I didn't bother to take any photos!) The problem was the volute next to the badge, where I couldn't achieve a flat wrap on the front and top edges without a huge crease along the join of the two surfaces. A heat gun didn't help, it just seemed to introduce more stretch marks.
    Gonna admit defeat and take it to a local wrapper for a quote.
    2018 1.5T SRi Nav
    Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

I fancy having my front grill done. Let me know how you go on pal .

Comment

Good job, not an easy task

Comment

Finally got round to using the Frost liquid wrap on the grille, really pleased with the results:
        Before

Name:	IMG_20190619_141847.jpg
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	243593
        After

Name:	IMG_20190913_125021.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	243594

Now, should I de-badge the sides and tailgate???
        2018 1.5T SRi Nav
        Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

I don't personally like de badging. To me it makes the car look like a base model. Your wheels need to go black though.
          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
            Your wheels need to go black though.
            Now how did I know you'd say that, Marko?

I'll just leave them unwashed, a few layers of brake dust and they'll look just like yours.
            2018 1.5T SRi Nav

Comment

Looks well Pete , how many coats did you use, I've got mine at home ready to do

Comment

Masked it off with a disposable polythene dust sheet, one light tack coat then 5 wet coats 25 mins apart. Left it for about an hour then just cut away the dust sheet and peeled the masking tape off. Didn't even need trimming, really chuffed with the results
                2018 1.5T SRi Nav

Comment

Thanks, job well done [emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
                    I don't personally like de badging. To me it makes the car look like a base model. Your wheels need to go black though.

Comment

Originally posted by RBH View Post
                      What? He's doing away with the chrome. Makes sense to do away with it on the wheels too.
                      2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

I'm gonna try with the Matt black first, although my grill is gloss,
                        I've got this on stand bye , it's a glossifier , basically a peelable laquer

The only problem I have is the irmscher logo is recessed, so I'm gonna have to build that up first, some how.
                        It's got to be removable though

Comment

Originally posted by the gas man View Post
                          The only problem I have is the irmscher logo is recessed, so I'm gonna have to build that up first, some how.
                          It's got to be removable though
                          There are two options that spring to mind, either spray the whole thing then use a scalpel to cut away the dip around the lettering, or somehow fill the logo with something (plasticine, play-dough?} so the letters are slightly raised above the adjacent surface before spraying, then cut them out afterwards. Either way, it may be difficult to get a sharp line between dipped areas and the letters themselves.

Another option would be to spray it all, then paint the lettering silver OVER the dip - it would be a lot easier to get a defined edge as you could use a small brush, and should peel off if and when you take the dip off. Personally I'd probably do the whole thing black including the recessed logo.
                          Last edited by PeteH; 14-09-2019, 09:18 AM.
                          2018 1.5T SRi Nav

Comment

Could you not just coat lettering with grease / vasaline, wipe edges then spray. The spray sticks to grease or vasaline, let rest dry then wipe grease along with product off.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                            Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of building the logo up, but that would need to be removable.
                              So as when I sprayed the grill, it would be all flat,

Comment

Working...
                              X