Piper cross air filter !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piper cross air filter !

So I went to investigate the excess turbo whistle I have had recently, For those of you that don’t know I run a hybrid turbo so some whistle was expected. Over the last few months it has got gradually worse and the car felt like it was choking. On inspection the filter is clogged up with gunk the filter has collapsed in the centre and there is no way the car could breath with this filter. I took advantage of the europarts sale and got a bosch filter for £10 ! Whistle gone, stuttering gone ! So just goes to show stock parts can actually be better for your car even with power mods. Unilateral has also had the same happen with this type of filter.

The Reaper. Carbon Flash 2015 insignia Sri. Lowered, hybrid turbo 251.3bhp 554nm. Twin exhaust.

What's that filter on the pictures mate?

Comment

Piper cross! Or proper crap
      The Reaper. Carbon Flash 2015 insignia Sri. Lowered, hybrid turbo 251.3bhp 554nm. Twin exhaust.

Comment

Someone on the forum I work on had exactly the same experience, it had caved in so much he thaught there was something really wrong with the turbo on his car .

.K.M.P.C.U
        YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by Nicksri View Post
          So I went to investigate the excess turbo whistle I have had recently, For those of you that don’t know I run a hybrid turbo so some whistle was expected. Over the last few months it has got gradually worse and the car felt like it was choking. On inspection the filter is clogged up with gunk the filter has collapsed in the centre and there is no way the car could breath with this filter. I took advantage of the europarts sale and got a bosch filter for £10 ! Whistle gone, stuttering gone ! So just goes to show stock parts can actually be better for your car even with power mods. Unilateral has also had the same happen with this type of filter.

Genuine question, did you ever clean it because that could contribute to the eventual collapse?

I've always preferred K&N, the design is more similar to stock, it makes them sturdier and last longer between cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by tens6 View Post
            Genuine question, did you ever clean it because that could contribute to the eventual collapse?

I've always preferred K&N, the design is more similar to stock, it makes them sturdier and last longer between cleaning.

Yes i i did but it is not a good material to clean, its cheap snd nasty-lesson learned ! K&n are far superior

Comment

Originally posted by Nicksri View Post
              Yes i i did but it is not a good material to clean, its cheap snd nasty-lesson learned ! K&n are far superior
              Yeah, never tried those before. Just seemed a bit weak like a cut out piece of sponge . What do they go for? I know the K&Ns are a bit pricey but I've used them on 4 cars now stretching over 14 years and they're all still in good shape. Exceptional quality. Apart from regularly changing, I would say stock is still fine on a standard car but obviously you will benefit from a performance filter [emoji4]

Comment

Yeah, never tried those before. Just seemed a bit weak like a cut out piece of sponge . What do they go for? I know the K&Ns are a bit pricey but I've used them on 4 cars now stretching over 14 years and they're all still in good shape. Exceptional quality. Apart from regularly changing, I would say stock is still fine on a standard car but obviously you will benefit from a performance filter [emoji4]
                Well its lesson learned, it was still £30 but for all intents and purposes its a bath sponge

Comment

Very expensive bath sponge that, no wonder it collected EVERYTHING going through it, including the air . No offence, I just always associate them with boy racers

Comment

Very expensive bath sponge that, no wonder it collected EVERYTHING going through it, including the air . No offence, I just always associate them with boy racers
                    Hahaha well, they can keep them. The car is so much quieter with the oem filter on.

Comment

Can't beat OEM or a good equivalent,been a few tests done over the years on so called performance filters but not a great advantage over stock as the engine ecu will adjust fuel injection time etc.
                      Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                      Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
                        Can't beat OEM or a good equivalent,been a few tests done over the years on so called performance filters but not a great advantage over stock as the engine ecu will adjust fuel injection time etc.
                        Yep, definitely not disputing that. The gains that are seen are always minimal. I've noticed that they always feel a bit better the higher the performance of the car and of course the intake noise can add to the experience but naturally isn't everyones cup of tea either.

Comment

Agree,mate even drilled holes on the base of his air box,iirc XR2!!
                          Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                          Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
                            Agree,mate even drilled holes on the base of his air box,iirc XR2!!
                            I remember those days, proper old school

Comment

I was thinking about drilling holes in my air box

Comment

Working...
                              X