Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At my wits end with this car! 15 reg, Handbrake is failing, radio is freezing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok sensible head on today .
    First off it seems at the moment the whole argument is between you , the selling garage, finance company, trading standards.
    First .For the selling garage to write on sales invoice that spare wheel and jack would be included as part of the initial sale and both you and him signed and agreed to the deal , then the onous is on him to supply the said items ( wether it be new or second hand )
    Second for the selling garage to say that the faults with the said car are in your head , then in my mind he is treating you like an idiot .
    Third , electronic handbrake woes , as far as I can remember when I had mine to either engage or disengage the handbrake , you have to have your foot on the foot brake to carry out such operations, and you always pull on the switch never push it , when handbrake engages you shoukd hear the electric motor engage parking brake .
    You never push on the switch , just pull it .
    To release it fast ( HSA style ) you just blip the throttle and bring clutch up .
    Fourth , radio freezing , depending on what you mean by freezing ( dose it not turn off or on , or you cannot control the radio at all via any means ?
    Fitfth, warning about rear door being open when not , all commands for that part are on the BCM ( body control module ) ,
    Now to interigate the BCM you require a very good and sometimes expensive scan tool and an operator who knows how to use it .
    If it's an intermittent fault there maybe a code stored .
    The problem with some mechanics they are just scan and swap so when it comes to complex electric issues they do become a bit stumped .
    As Lunn said all electrical components are on a Can-bus line ( high and low ) 2 interconnected wires that communicate between each module now understanding the whole wiring diagram can be a headache, but all you require is either a bad earth , power comm line , and it can take time to find the route cause .
    As said before there seems to be a situation where there are a lot of parties envolved in the outcome of this .
    We can as a forum only advise on what you write , and it would be unfair for us to take sides .
    But you say you have a meeting with trading standards Friday .
    If not a conclusive outcome Friday, then all I can say , is if you want to keep the car you would have to employ the services of a engineer to carry out a full mechanical/ electrical report to present to the seller garage, finance company.
    But the cost of the report would be down to you in the first instance .and then argue the cost with the other parties.
    But if you want rid of it then seeing as it's 3 months since purchasing, then I could take time reject and get monies payed back to the finance company.
    Has any of you dealings ( written not verbal ) been kept by you , ?
    The lemon law as in the USA only allows you to reject a car hands down within 30 days of purchase . After that I think it's 2-3 chances to rectify the faults ,
    All,I can say is good luck , and hopefully there is a satisfactory outcome to all this .

.K.M.P.C.U
    YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Only thing I would add to lizzard-t's reply is that you pull the switch to engage the handbrake and push the switch to release. That's what I do on mine anyway. And I always pull it twice when parking, no matter whether incline or not, and always left in gear too. The problem with just using the handbrake is that if the disc is hot when you set the handbrake (e.g. from alot of , or just hard braking) then when it cools the brake is not tight enough on the disc and the car can start to roll and look like the handbrake has failed. That's why I always use the gears in addition
      Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Right, got my car back today from the garage. Theyve changed the switch, finally given me the spare tyre and the bumper is getting sorted next week.

So far all seems well with the handbrake. The issue with the headunit still exists, could that just need an update from Vauxhall perhaps? Also being in neutral, dipping clutch but not going into any gear and remaining in neutral and just catching the accelerator still releases the parking brake and sometimes releases just catching the throttle. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Mogga View Post
          Right, got my car back today from the garage. Theyve changed the switch, finally given me the spare tyre and the bumper is getting sorted next week.

So far all seems well with the handbrake. The issue with the headunit still exists, could that just need an update from Vauxhall perhaps? Also being in neutral, dipping clutch but not going into any gear and remaining in neutral and just catching the accelerator still releases the parking brake and sometimes releases just catching the throttle. Any ideas?
          I cannot help with that one as mine is auto so no clutch pedal, does not sound right bet its fun setting off on hills! as I mentioned mines auto but does not release until car is attempting to actually move then it goes with thump as brakes let go. Give me a leaver to pull on with bowdon cables to rear any day, much more reliable. Guess all this electronics is all aimed at driverless cars!

Comment

I'll be going out in mine later (64 plate) and see if it's the same but can't say I've ever noticed a problem with it
            Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

I can confirm that operation is normal for handbrake to release when in neutral and blipping the throttle

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
                I can confirm that operation is normal for handbrake to release when in neutral and blipping the throttle
                Agreed. And also, why would you blip the throttle when held on an incline by the handbrake in neutral? Surely you would engage first gear, then gently release the clutch whilst increasing the throttle. If you press the clutch for over about 2 seconds, the handbrake will also disengage whether you are in gear or not, cos that's how it works. (Page 181 of the user manual)
                Last edited by PeteH; 25-10-2019, 06:58 PM.
                2018 1.5T SRi Nav
                Bi-colour 18" alloys, de-chromed grille and foglights, full heated leather, reversing cam with park assist, heated front screen and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, self parking (used once, it's crap!), Nextbase 522GW front & rear dashcams

Comment

My handbrake also releases in neutral if so much as look at accelerater.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                  Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Working...
                  X