Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase help please!!!

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing an insignia, 2013 2.0 CDTi vx line with 75k miles on the clock. It only has a service history record up until 40k miles. The body and interior are in great condition, although the front bumper has definitely been sprayed before (the current owner stated before his ownership) but there is no other indicators the front has been damaged. However, I am a bit dubious for a few reasons :-
    The current owner only purchased in October 19 and is now selling 4 months later after purchasing a remap, bubble number license plate, led lights, wind deflectors etc. I appreciate this isnÂ’t just a good enough reason to be dubious but itÂ’s just in the way he spoke also, he said things like “I drive my avensis mostly because it hasnÂ’t given me any bother”-kinda makes me think the insignia has given him bother🤔 although he states it hasnÂ’t. He also stated that someone told him to change the oil seal and the insignia will give him no more bother. Again, makes me think the car has had some sort of problem. I contacted his mechanic who serviced it and the mechanic advised the car is in good condition and it has no knocks, or noises, the mechanic stated that the oil seal was changed as a preventative measure and was intact when removed.

So I suppose what I am getting round to asking is:-

1. Firstly, opinions, what would you guys do, stay clear or trust itÂ’s ok?
    2. If the seal was broken and the engine damaged in some way, how could I tell? Or is it, if the car drives ok then it is fine?

I also have another option of an insignia CDTi 2.0 vx line 2014 with 10k less miles, with full service history but it is £6500, £1500 more than the 2013.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

I wonder if he's been a member on here...We're always telling new members to replace the oil seal. Any other info on him? His name and car colour may help. He may have posted pics and posted about any issues.
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Well.....tbh....if you've got reservations about the car, which you obviously have or you wouldn't be on here asking, then gut feeling should make you walk away.

You don't wanna be spending cash buying it, then spending more fixing it before you get a chance to enjoy it.
      It's it's been damaged then repaired, it should state it on the log book, so if your still unsure, ask to see that, take a note of the previous keeper and try and contact him/her and try and get info from them about it.

Comment

And £5k for a 2013 seems way over the top.

If the seal needs done it'll tell you on warning display.

Any info on both cars???
        And yourself???

We don't know where you are as you've introduced yourself properly in the new members section.

Letting us know where your from, might help as members in the same area of the cars your looking at, might just know info about them.

Comment

This is the car and the fella selling it, his name is Chris Friel. it’s only on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2797760797032/
          It could be me totally overthinking it but it does seem a bit suss that he is selling it so soon into his ownership. But I think I’d be happy to buy it, if I knew if there was signs that that the seal was broken and the car wasn’t displaying those signs - but I can’t really find anything on here or the internet.

Comment

Oh yeah we are in Northern Ireland and that’s probably why the cars are seem a tad more expensive

Comment

This is the other car https://www.usedcarsni.com/2014-Vaux...&search_type=1.

Full service history £6500, 60k miles,

Comment

If your happy to buy it then buy and get the seal done right away....then you'll not have to worry about the engine going kaaapuuuttt on you.

There's an expert in Yorkshire who does them for £200 but obviously your not gonna go there.
                So have a search closer to home....and if they want a lot more cash, don't entertain them.

You asked if there was signs - the only sign you'll see is LOW OIL PRESSURE. SWITCH OFF ENGINE.

that's it.......

Comment

Originally posted by CairnsyD View Post
                  Oh yeah we are in Northern Ireland and that’s probably why the cars are seem a tad more expensive
                  Even so....it's still steep for the cars.

Comment

Thanks!! That’s the thing, he has stated that he had the seal done (literally yesterday) and the mechanic confirmed the same. So what I’m wondering is, did he have the seal done because he needed to ie/ maybe he was getting low pressure warning etc and then would that have potentially caused any permanent damage to the engine, that he now wants rid of the car. Would there be any signs of engine damage or would the engine just have seized if engine damage has been caused?. My understanding talking with the dealers over here, is that with new cars not selling as much in the mainland and then the South of Ireland purchasing higher quantities of used vehicles in order to avoid future custom and duty charges following brexit, car prices have gone up considerably over here.

Comment

This is the car and the fella selling it, his name is Chris Friel. it’s only on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2797760797032/
                      It could be me totally overthinking it but it does seem a bit suss that he is selling it so soon into his ownership. But I think I’d be happy to buy it, if I knew if there was signs that that the seal was broken and the car wasn’t displaying those signs - but I can’t really find anything on here or the internet.
                      He isn't a member of the forum.
                      2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

If it's a garage then ask for proof of the seal being done.
                        If they've not got the old one that came out, which if it was only done yesterday then it should still be lying around, then ask to see a purchase order/invoice for the new seal.

If still nothing then he's telling you porky pies.

Or if your heart still overpowers your head and you still go ahead and buy it, ask for a written guarantee that the seam has been replaced do you have some sort of comeback.

Comment

Ok, so what I think what I’m hearing is, if the seal has been installed, no lights on the dash, then the engine should be fine?.

Comment

This is the other car https://www.usedcarsni.com/2014-Vaux...&search_type=1.

Full service history £6500, 60k miles,
                            Quite funny, selling for father but is at a garage which tells you it has been there for over 120 days and has had its price dropped twice.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                            Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Thanks for everything by the way, i am very grateful for the input and appreciate it a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X