Instrument cluster not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lewish View Post
    Could be battery related. Could be a broken/ pinched wire hopefully the former.
    Hopefully the former? Where on earth is the wire?!

Then again I'm a cheap git, so even if I have to spend days taking things apart, if all I need is a bit of wire, the fix has cost me nothing

Eta: what the f is that smiley?

Comment

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
      Reason behind disconnecting the battery is so alll electrical systems are powered down completely bit like putting the cars electronics into an induced coma .re-sets everything
      I used to do IT support. Of course turning it off and on again works. But it has enough battery to remember the date, so...

How much is a bcm, if it needs one? I got the car cheaply, so I'm not too worried if it needs small things; if it's hundreds I might sell it on and buy another.

Comment

Originally posted by BodgeItAndScarper View Post
        Hopefully the former? Where on earth is the wire?!

Then again I'm a cheap git, so even if I have to spend days taking things apart, if all I need is a bit of wire, the fix has cost me nothing [emoji14]

Eta: what the f is that smiley?
        I'd get the battery checked first then if that's okay then I'd say check the wiring. As they are all connected cluster/hvac/radio/touchpad(if fitted)

Also check fuses in the glovebox.

Another thing you could do is buy opcom. It's a diagnostic tool and could pin point where the fault is.

Comment

How much is a bcm,
          there not alot to buy but it needs divorcing from the car it was fitted to then marrying to yours thats the expansive bit. Its either buy suitable kit to do it or dealer prices, you also need 2 pass codes for divorcing from donor car and marrying again you might have a small card (credit card size) in with owners hand book if your lucky. If your not lucky it can be got using some software.

Comment

So I disconnected the battery and left it for a c couple of days and then stuck the multimeter on it. 12.65v, which means fully charged afaik.

Th e instruments and gauges work now, but the heater control panel is completely dark and doesn't respond to button presses. Heater and fans etc work automatically, so it seems to be just th e controls. Is there a plug somewhere I might have accidentally disconnected?

Comment

Fixed it. There's a little plug at the bottom of the panel that must have got knocked out when I had the dash apart. Popped it back, working fine now.

Comment

thats good news. bet you was chuffed when you saw plug not in.

Comment

Originally posted by ilunn View Post
                  thats good news. bet you was chuffed when you saw plug not in.
                  Chuffed? Did they make a steam powered Insignia?! Much more my kind of thing.

That was when I discovered that turning it off and on again fixed the problem, so not only was my time spent disassembling the dash (to get to the instrument panel plug) wasted, but it actually made things worse and more confusing to diagnose.

The plus side is that at least it only cost me time

Comment

Chuffed? Did they make a steam powered Insignia?! Much more my kind of thing.

That was when I discovered that turning it off and on again fixed the problem, so not only was my time spent disassembling the dash (to get to the instrument panel plug) wasted, but it actually made things worse and more confusing to diagnose.

The plus side is that at least it only cost me time
                    and you now know how to take it to pieces

Comment

FFS. Parked overnight, now it's doing the mad dashboard again. Suggestions?

Comment

Found this in another thread, researching why the boot won't open:

Originally posted by lizzard-t View Post
                        Is it completely dead ? Can you open it by any other switch ?
                        If no is the answer then could be the tail gate ECU ( right hand cubby hole ) seems water can ingress into it , and requires taking out and using electrical contact spray .
                        Just a thaught!
                        Is that the kind of thing that might make the main computer crap itself? It was chucking it down here last night.

Comment

No would not make the ECU go nuts .
                          Seperate component and electrical contact cleaner is safe as long as you read the instructions.

.K.M.P.C.U
                          YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I sprayed the plugs with some contact cleaner, the boot works again. There was noticeable corrosion. Is there something I should seal to stop moisture getting in?

Comment

So I cleaned up the boot plugs, and at the same time disconnected something called a Parrot that was installed behind the dash. Since then it hasn't gone nuts, so I'll try plugging the Parrot back in, see which it was.

Now the main problem is fixed, looks like there's some sort of fault with the abs/tcs/esc. No codes from the obd, though. Any thoughts?

Comment

Pick up sensor

Comment

Working...
                                X