Suspension upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension upgrade?

I'm looking, at some point, to upgrade my suspension....as i think it's past its best now, going by how the car is all over the road when i'm giving it some enthusiastic driving on winding A roads and back lanes!!

I had put it down partly to the slightly numb steering feel, as previously i had a Calibra and that stuck to the road like glue and gave great feedback, particularly with the 17's i had and all 4 new Bilstein B4 shocks, but also that was just a normal steering rack, non of this electronic steering malarky that kills steering feel!

A few options i have are...

Replace all 4 shocks with Bilstein B4 shocks - This would be the cheaper option and going on how the Calibra fealt after fitting new B4's should give a vast improvement, as the B4's are designed as OE replacements but are slighlty uprated too.

Replace all shocks with Bilstein B6 Sport shocks - Slightly more expensive but people have told me these are brilliant shock absorbers and worth the money.

Replace all shocks and springs with a 'Bilstein B12 Pro Kit' - The most expensive option but includes Bilstein B6 Sport Or B8 Sprint Dampers & Eibach springs, so would lower the car abit more too.

I am quite stuck on Bilsteins as you can probably see i have seen cheaper shocks from Monroe and KYB but i'm not sure how they would be with the uprated springs on the SRi, the KYB's would probably be OK but i think Monroe, although a good name, are supposedly just OE replacements and not aimed at sporty suspension?

I've heard good things about 'FK' gear and seen these while looking but they seem far too cheap:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c900138bc

Also, i'm not interested in coilovers etc and adjustable height and damping.

Anyone running Bilstein upgrades in their insignia? or any views/comments at all?

Had billys on my rs turbo and on the cav calibre - excellent kit.

I would also be interested if anyone has had them on an insignia yet.

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

Are the standard SRi springs decent enough gear? Just wondering how they would fair with the B6's?

Comment

Anyone else?

I must say i thought this would have got more response

Comment

Standard SRi springs are good, i think.

Do you mean to use with billy's? Not sure my SRi is standard and i think it handles fine.

Some people have said they are too firm, but i don't think so.

Comment

mcpitman, on 14 November 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:
              Standard SRi springs are good, i think.

Do you mean to use with billy's? Not sure my SRi is standard and i think it handles fine.

Some people have said they are too firm, but i don't think so.

??

Yeah meaning to use with Bilsteins....thinking maybe just get B6's and use the springs I have....how do you mean too firm, the springs or Bilsteins?

Comment

MadOnVaux!, on 14 November 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

??????????Yeah meaning to use with Bilsteins....thinking maybe just get B6's and use the springs I have....how do you mean too firm, the springs or Bilsteins?

When i first joined this forum i remember some people saying the sri springs were too firm.

Comment

mcpitman, on 15 November 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:
                  When i first joined this forum i remember some people saying the sri springs were too firm.

OK, so would Eibach springs give a sportier ride and handling without being too firm?....if they do, i may get the full B12 Pro Kit

?Codfish, on 15 November 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:
                  Having test driven a none sri car then getting the sri I can say the ride is pretty jiggly around town but it's well damped and not crashy over bumps and the gain in cornering feel is massive. Drives like a different car on the twisty stuff. Depends what your priorities are which you prefer I guess

I do find it quite jiggy and it picks up all the undulations in the road round town etc, even more so coming from 18's to 19's!....but out on the open road, although it's smooth, any dips & crests in the road or steering correction mid corner etc make the car lurch around....even more so if i'm giving it some along twisty back roads, the car is all over the place.....this is what makes me think the shocks are past there best.

I want a smooth comfy-ish ride but i also want to be able to sling it around abit without feeling like its going to end up in a ditch!!

Comment

If funds aren't an issue i would go for the full kit, the springs and dampers would be a great match.

They were probably developed to compliment each other.

Comment

mcpitman, on 15 November 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:
                      If funds aren't an issue i would go for the full kit, the springs and dampers would be a great match.

They were probably developed to compliment each other.

I'm thinking that now actually, although i am wary of lowering the car due to the bodykit, as i'll bloody end up catching the front spoiler on kerbs etc and it's not easy getting my trolley jack under it with the skirts as it is!

?Codfish, on 15 November 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:
                      It's never felt like that to me. Tracks straight and true and never feels skittish.

It must be my shocks then!

Comment

I've decided I'm getting the full B12 kit!!

Comment

MadOnVaux!, on 26 November 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:
                          I've decided I'm getting the full B12 kit!! /> />

Good call!

Comment

Just a thought on this....does lowering an Insignia affect the camber in any way?

Comment

????

Comment

Working...
                              X